StudentsReview :: Emmanuel College - Comments and Student Experiences

Brandeis University -- Waltham, MA

Emmanuel College

Biostatistics major/Math minor.Other
Biostatistics major/Math minor.
About me: I am an international student (IS) from Vietnam and (obviously) English is not my first language. Graduated in 2015 and I am still keeping close contact with my professors at EC. As an IS, I had limited options in term of seeking summer undergraduate research programs in Biostatistics (5/40 were open for IS) and as an undergrad, internship opportunities were hard to find (most internships *seriously* relate to Biostat require grad-level skills)

--------------
The bright side: To be very honest, I was not super happy during the first 2 years at EC. But things have changed ever since I joined the Math department.

_ My advisor is Dr. Yulia Dementieva in the Math department and I could not imagine my undergraduate life without her. She used to be an international student too and she understands perfectly what I was going through (trying to find summer research programs, having limitations on what type of internship I could do, resolving visa issues, etc). But most importantly, she took times to chat outside of classroom and knew her students (not many of them in the Math department, also only 4 were into Biostat in my year) very well. She was and is always so supportive.

Quotes from YD - "I know it is hard to be an IS, but opportunities are to be found by those who go out and look for them, so do not give up"

"I will write as many supporting letter as you need me to, just update me when you start applying to anything"

_ Another wonderful professor is Christine Sample in the Math department. She is one of the sweetest people I have ever met. She is quiet yet knowledgable and always greet people with a big smile. Dr. Sample and Dementieva truly made my years at EC a memorable ones.

_ Even though the Biostat department was super small, the courses were great. I learnt to use R, SAS, SPSS, MATLAB - all valuable softwares!

_ The bio department has 2 of my favorites: Dr. Josef Kurtz (super smart and work on transplantation at MGH) and Dr. Joel Kowit (a bit older but very funny, he once laid on a classroom floor trying to mimic red blood cells swimming). The Bio department is very strong at EC and students often get internship at MGH through Dr. Kurtz or his connections.

_ The ARC is great! Its a peer-tutoring center. I used to go there for help and worked as a tutor. People were very helpful. However, the orientation for new tutor was quite mundane...

_ MERCK & Co has a giant building right inside EC campus and now they are accepting interns from EC! For those of you who are into bio, chem, biochem, etc.. this is a huge plus.

--------------
The dark sight: social life is out of reach.
_ This is definitely a white school (no offense). There were only 10 IS in my year and I never met 9 of them again after the first IS meeting even though the school is small. Not many events for IS as well. If you want to join some good events, I strongly recommend visiting Simmons Student Center once in a while. I ended up having free snacks/cactus/international foods/ice-cream/candy/you-name-it 7 out of 10 times I randomly wandered around Simmons.

_ I made 1 friend after 4 years at EC. Not sure what to comment, but never heard back from many white friends I met in my first year after the first college summer.

_ I wish the curriculum for Biostat would include some computer science courses and there was many on-campus summer opportunities though. They currently have a summer research program in the Math department, but only select 2 students per summer and 1 of them would be from last summer. Also only 1 research program means extremely limited option for students who are interested in other topics in Mathematics.

Emmanuel is an amazing place to get anBrightArt & Design Department
Emmanuel is an amazing place to get an education. You couldn't ask for a better location. You're a walk away from anything in the city, smack dab in the middle of historic Fenway Park and the Museum of Fine Arts. Boston is your playground.

The campus is small, but very pretty inside and out. The architecture is reminiscent of something out of Harry Potter. The campus is outrageously clean, the maintenance crew put in work to keep the place always looking nice. The dorms are dorms, nothing special, but who cares.

The school is small enough that you get to see friends wherever you go, but also big enough to remain anonymous if you choose to do so. It's very easy to make friends at Emmanuel. Everyone (for the most part) is very friendly and willing to be social. Also you're surrounded by thousands and thousands of students from other schools so it's pretty hard not to make friends.

Emmanuel is a catholic college, which might be a little intimidating if you're a member of another religion or not really religious at all. After a year at this school, not once was religion ever pushed on me. There were maybe one or two mandatory gatherings, in which the focus was on community and being a part of the Emmanuel family. By no means do you have to be catholic to go to this college.

Academically Emmanuel is challenging without being extremely competitive. The content in the classroom is useful and engaging. The class sizes are small so the teachers get to know you personally which makes for a great classroom environment. Overall, being in Boston is flat out awesome. Definitely made the right choice with Emmanuel.

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C
I transferred to Emmanuel after leaving a bigBrightBiology
I transferred to Emmanuel after leaving a big University and I absolutely HATE it here. I actually wish I could transfer back to my old school. Emmanuel feels exactly like a high school; the kids are clique-y, many of them act like they go to such a prestigious school when in reality Emmanuel is so horrible (and most people will think you go to Emerson anyway)! The faculty and administration here are an absolute joke, they treat you like children, but expect you to act like adults. To be fair, I have met many good friends here, and even got the opportunity to travel abroad...but even still, the social life here is all but non-existent. If you are looking for a school with a lot going on on campus DO NOT come here. You are limited to leaving campus to find something exciting to do. Many people believe that living in the city will save them from boredom, but everything in the city costs money, so unless you have unlimited funds (which most of us college kids don't) do not rely on the city as your only source of activity. Emmanuel brags about being the most spirited school in Boston, but I seriously believe they paid the city of Boston to give them that title. Even small things about Emmanuel bother me, mainly because I compare it to my old school. The school store is pitiful, the food in the dining hall is atrocious (always covered in oil, and barely ever changes), the academic peer tutoring service has the world's worst hours and the tutors are never available when you need them. I know this review sounds seriously negative, so I will say that Emmanuel could be a great fit for some who enjoys a small school atmosphere and might be hesitant about going onto a school with large numbers. But my honest opinion is that I should be honest and stop people from applying here. Picking a college can be such a stressful time and I would hate to see anyone be stuck in the situation I am in. Transferring to a new school stinks, so it helps to make the right choice the first time.
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F