StudentsReview :: Emmanuel College - Comments and Student Experiences

Brandeis University -- Waltham, MA

Emmanuel College

I transferred to Emmanuel after leaving a bigBrightBiology
I transferred to Emmanuel after leaving a big University and I absolutely HATE it here. I actually wish I could transfer back to my old school. Emmanuel feels exactly like a high school; the kids are clique-y, many of them act like they go to such a prestigious school when in reality Emmanuel is so horrible (and most people will think you go to Emerson anyway)! The faculty and administration here are an absolute joke, they treat you like children, but expect you to act like adults. To be fair, I have met many good friends here, and even got the opportunity to travel abroad...but even still, the social life here is all but non-existent. If you are looking for a school with a lot going on on campus DO NOT come here. You are limited to leaving campus to find something exciting to do. Many people believe that living in the city will save them from boredom, but everything in the city costs money, so unless you have unlimited funds (which most of us college kids don't) do not rely on the city as your only source of activity. Emmanuel brags about being the most spirited school in Boston, but I seriously believe they paid the city of Boston to give them that title. Even small things about Emmanuel bother me, mainly because I compare it to my old school. The school store is pitiful, the food in the dining hall is atrocious (always covered in oil, and barely ever changes), the academic peer tutoring service has the world's worst hours and the tutors are never available when you need them. I know this review sounds seriously negative, so I will say that Emmanuel could be a great fit for some who enjoys a small school atmosphere and might be hesitant about going onto a school with large numbers. But my honest opinion is that I should be honest and stop people from applying here. Picking a college can be such a stressful time and I would hate to see anyone be stuck in the situation I am in. Transferring to a new school stinks, so it helps to make the right choice the first time.
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
I hate this place.AveragePolitical Science
I hate this place. HATE it. It's awful. So incredibly tiny, and if you are looking for the college experience- you won't find it here! It's full of basic white girls who do nothing. This place is not diverse, it is not fun, it is a catholic cult.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Surrounding City: A+, Innovation: F
Going to emmanuel has been my biggest regretBrightBiology
Going to emmanuel has been my biggest regret thus far in life. I came as an out of state student from across the country drawn to the school by the great surroundings (Boston), and the beautiful campus. Little did I know this shit school could have been located within the gates of heaven and I would still hate it. Number one reason I hate this hell hole: the people. Let me start off by saying last year when I was trying to decide where to attend college I read the negative reviews about a bad social scene and comforted myself by imagining everyone who wrote those reviews were basement dwelling weirdos who wouldn't be able to make friends at the best socially rated schools. Boy was I wrong, I was voted most outgoing and easy to talk to senior year and I honestly can't stand 90 percent of the student body here. Don't get me wrong I gave it a shot and for the first couple months I partied like an alcoholic with these kids and had a decent time but I got real fuckin sick of people bragging about their boats and 80 dollar t-shirts instead of actually having a good time. The kids here have no interest in diversity, constantly judge each other, and act like this is a continuation of catholic prep school rather than a college. The sports here are also a joke if you want to cheer on a team equivalent to a JV middle school lacrosse team, go right ahead and attend the saints gnac games. Id say a total of 20 people go to each including some people I'm pretty sure are just bored homeless bums considering we don't have to pay for tickets because we have a hard enough time getting people to go for free. They'll try And trick you by saying we won most spirited school in Boston a couple years in a row but either that's a bold faced lie or the people judging our spirit have a serious drug problem because unless you can count painting the student center our school colors as "spirit" it doesn't fucking exist here. You may be thinking that if sports and social life aren't a big aspect here education will be; think again. If you aren't a bio major the programs here are sad. I took community college credits in high school that I can honestly say were harder than most of my classes here. Lastly id like to warn you that if the shitty social scene and subpar education drive you to call up your judgemental fellow students and plan an all night pity party complete with bottles on bottles of cheap vodka don't bring it anywhere near the dorms. The RA's enjoy catching people drinking and once you get caught the school takes you through a mock legal hearing that's about as fair and professionally handled as one of those judge Judy style court shows they play on BET. I was found guilty by the careful deliberation of one individual who didn't even remember what my name was, what dorm I lived in, or where the supposed incident occurred. Thanks to that well educated, judge in disguise as a front desk attendant, I'm on probation until the end of next year for having a decorative shot glass. Thank god myself and at least 15 other people I know are escaping from this school via transfer next year.
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F