StudentsReview ™ :: Gordon College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College -- Norton, MA
Colby College -- Waterville, ME

Gordon College

Gordon College is distinguished by a serious commitment

Dec 13 2013Accounting
Gordon College is distinguished by a serious commitment to the liberal arts tradition, in the framework of the Christian faith. That is why I choose to come here. Gordon provides opportunities for serious intellectual growth and academically rigorous coursework,that expands the mind while challenging and deepening the faith. You really can tell that students here are committed to the mission of Gordon, and view their coursework and other extracurricular activities as a means to expand the opportunities for them to serve the world through leadership. Students are very open minded, and the college does a great job fostering respectful yet engaging dialogue about difficult or decisive issues facing the church and our world as a whole. That is what makes Gordon different than other christian institutions. While remaining committed to it's core evangelical history, Gordon encourages students to challenge themselves, rather than be indoctrinated, so that students can serve the needs of the world in an educated and informed way.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: A-

I am a student who has committed a

Dec 07 2013Psychology
I am a student who has committed a lot of myself to Gordon. This is my second year at Gordon. I have truly tried to make Gordon my home since I first arrived, but it's just not working out for me. So yup I'm transferring.

The students here are friendly, smiley, ask you how you are, but it is very hard to get past surface level with many of them. The student body is split into a few different social groups. The hipsters (kids who try too hard to be original, crazy about Jesus, studious) The athletes (many are recruited for their physical abilities and not their faith, these groups stick together all the time) The partiers (people who are so bored at gordon that they have nothing else better to do, you'll find that some are just superficial) And then there are some floaters that don't fit into any of these categories. Also must say there are always exceptions within the groups. Overall norm of a gordon student is to love jesus, be kind, act happy, study study study and always be busy.

Professors at Gordon truly care about their students. I also must say they are brilliant. However, the learning style isn't always great. Of course this depends on the class and the professor.

Food. Everyone complains about it here, but really we have it pretty good.
Dorms. Since Gordon is so concerned with expanding our school so that we can compete with larger universities we now have so many students rolling in that we can't fit them. Therefore, there are many incoming freshmen being smushed in. Doubles are now forced triples. Positive note, res life is great. RD's and RA's care so much about the students in the building. Another thing to know about the dorms are the rules, there is visitation so no guys in a girls room before 5 pm or after 12 am during the week or before 1 pm and after 12 pm on the weekends. Also if the opposite gender is in your room the door must be open and the lights must be on. And no sharing blankets, also one person must always be sitting up.

Also about the whole expanding our school thing, don't feel too special if you are accepted even though your gpa isn't that high. If your worried about the work load at Gordon you should be, but if you are motivated you can succeed.

Chapel. They have had some great chapels that I have really enjoyed, but reality is that as soon as students have reached their 30 chapel credits they stop going. Hm I wonder why...

Gordon college is a place that is right for some students, but also a place that is not right for many. Really depends on who you are. Personally, I am just not a Gordon girl and I'm done trying to fit in here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: D

Look I love the people here but in

Aug 23 2013Religion/Religious
Look I love the people here but in the past few years that I have been at Gordon it has become all about the numbers. Gordon cares way to much about bringing people in and not enough about the students who are already there putting their time and money in. I hate taking a back seat to incoming students when I've got 4 years invested in the school. Incoming student numbers are on the rise but retention rates are horrible and no wonder when all that matters is perspectives students and incoming students. I love the professors though and feel like I've learned a lot I just don't like the way the school is run.
4th Year Female -- Class 2013