StudentsReview :: Gordon College - Comments and Student Experiences

Colby College -- Waterville, ME

Gordon College

Dec 16 2014Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
My personal experience with Gordon as a sixth year Senior (I withdrew for a semester after withdrawing in Fall 2012) is something now beleaguered by an inability to express my criticisms and concerns about the college; there are obvious social events that tie into that if you look at the Wikipedia on what went on there. Gordon College is a very closeminded environment with limited frames of truly versing the students into exactly what it is; I came to Gordon thinking it would simply be a nondenominational school. I found out (Only) in my fifth year that it was a nondenominational Evangelical college. Coming from the experience of a Southern Baptist, 'Evangelical' has always been a dirty word.

I would ultimately prescribe that Gordon's infrastructure for me as an on-campus sixth year Senior (Technically fifth by credit) is something I can't fathom getting any worse. The tenacity I feel within the environment and its' exclusivity as a school is something very troubling; I think you could say that the school has gotten worse for me since the Michael Lindsy event and reader, as I've experienced theological widenings within the framework of the school, the 'liberal' atmosphere it supposedly incurs (Which I warn you, sends a mixed message) is something that ultimately defeats the purpose of being a Christian school. There isn't a current of real world existence that comes through here, yet they try so amicably to fit the mold of the quintessential New England liberal arts college. This, in tandem with their exclusivity in allowing people to come in, makes a dangerous bedfellow to surprise. As for my digression, be warned about going to this college. There are a lot of things to look for.

5th Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Oct 27 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I came to Gordon as an out-of-state student for the academic environment. But it turns out that Gordon is one of the most unfriendly places I've ever been. Only certain types of views are accepted, and staff are rude and unhelpful, particularly the Registrar's Office. Overall, Gordon has not been worth the time or money, and has probably done more damage to my Christian faith than any other experience.
4th Year Female -- Class 2015
Innovation: B, Individual Value: F
Aug 26 2014Religion/Religious
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I should have been advised on other fields studies that were more akin to my talents . I had a great experience at Gordon, it was one of the defining moments of my life. it was hard for me as i dealt with mental illness at the time OCD as there was no medication at the time. The atmosphere was caring, despite many lonely moments. The friends I made are life long friends. The professors made the difference for me. The held me up when i needed it. The school is the real deal , even today, don't pass it by
Starting Job: RRT Preparedness: C- Reputation: F