StudentsReview :: Gordon College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College -- Norton, MA
Colby College -- Waterville, ME

Gordon College

Gordon College is distinguished by a serious commitment

Dec 13 2013Accounting
Gordon College is distinguished by a serious commitment to the liberal arts tradition, in the framework of the Christian faith. That is why I choose to come here. Gordon provides opportunities for serious intellectual growth and academically rigorous coursework,that expands the mind while challenging and deepening the faith. You really can tell that students here are committed to the mission of Gordon, and view their coursework and other extracurricular activities as a means to expand the opportunities for them to serve the world through leadership. Students are very open minded, and the college does a great job fostering respectful yet engaging dialogue about difficult or decisive issues facing the church and our world as a whole. That is what makes Gordon different than other christian institutions. While remaining committed to it's core evangelical history, Gordon encourages students to challenge themselves, rather than be indoctrinated, so that students can serve the needs of the world in an educated and informed way.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: A-

I had a wonderful experience at Gordon, but

Jul 12 2014Psychology
I had a wonderful experience at Gordon, but I recognize it's not for everyone.
The student body varies between students forced by parents to go to a Christian college, students raised in traditional Christianity who are pretty closed minded, and students of varying Christian backgrounds who are willing to struggle with their faith. You will run into people in all of these categories, but then no college is perfect.

There are rules. Did I think all of them were necessary? No. Was I willing to put up with them because the experience was positive? Yes. I had tons of fun even without alcohol and even with the visitation policies. My experience is they are not legalistic and focused on catching rule breakers. Still, Gordon is a Christian college. if the rules will feel oppressive or behavioral standards and beliefs will be offensive Gordon probably isn't the school for you. And that's ok. If you will struggle with being in a space that allows debate and free thinking, it's probably not for you. And that's also ok.

I felt plenty of space to disagree with varying aspects of Christianity, although some students can be harsh, the overall environment is open to debates. See the Soulforce visit from 2007.

The professors were caring, I was able to do research with two of them and they were always available for extra help or just great conversation. I felt they challenged me to think and did not just indoctrinate - speaking for the psych department, anyways. They cared about my well being and my personal development. I got great career advice.

We did a lot more homework than friends at other colleges, so the workload is pretty heavy.
It is easy to go to Boston on the commuter rail, but my experience would probably have been a lot worse without a car. There is little you can walk or bike to and Gordon does not have tons of things going on at night unless students organize them. All students are allowed to have cars on campus.

I graduated and attended at grad program at Boston College. They had high regard for Gordon, but name recognition outside of New England is probably lower. Grad school was easy compared to my Gordon education.

Overall I had an excellent experience. I enjoyed my time, developed lasting friendships, felt supported through difficult times, and got a wonderful education with plenty of opportunities for career advancement.

4th Year Female -- Class 2007
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D+

I am a student who has committed a

Dec 07 2013Psychology
I am a student who has committed a lot of myself to Gordon. This is my second year at Gordon. I have truly tried to make Gordon my home since I first arrived, but it's just not working out for me. So yup I'm transferring.

The students here are friendly, smiley, ask you how you are, but it is very hard to get past surface level with many of them. The student body is split into a few different social groups. The hipsters (kids who try too hard to be original, crazy about Jesus, studious) The athletes (many are recruited for their physical abilities and not their faith, these groups stick together all the time) The partiers (people who are so bored at gordon that they have nothing else better to do, you'll find that some are just superficial) And then there are some floaters that don't fit into any of these categories. Also must say there are always exceptions within the groups. Overall norm of a gordon student is to love jesus, be kind, act happy, study study study and always be busy.

Professors at Gordon truly care about their students. I also must say they are brilliant. However, the learning style isn't always great. Of course this depends on the class and the professor.

Food. Everyone complains about it here, but really we have it pretty good.
Dorms. Since Gordon is so concerned with expanding our school so that we can compete with larger universities we now have so many students rolling in that we can't fit them. Therefore, there are many incoming freshmen being smushed in. Doubles are now forced triples. Positive note, res life is great. RD's and RA's care so much about the students in the building. Another thing to know about the dorms are the rules, there is visitation so no guys in a girls room before 5 pm or after 12 am during the week or before 1 pm and after 12 pm on the weekends. Also if the opposite gender is in your room the door must be open and the lights must be on. And no sharing blankets, also one person must always be sitting up.

Also about the whole expanding our school thing, don't feel too special if you are accepted even though your gpa isn't that high. If your worried about the work load at Gordon you should be, but if you are motivated you can succeed.

Chapel. They have had some great chapels that I have really enjoyed, but reality is that as soon as students have reached their 30 chapel credits they stop going. Hm I wonder why...

Gordon college is a place that is right for some students, but also a place that is not right for many. Really depends on who you are. Personally, I am just not a Gordon girl and I'm done trying to fit in here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016