StudentsReview ™ :: Hampshire College - Comments and Student Experiences

Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY

Hampshire College

I Love Hampshire

Jun 15 2013Psychology
I Love Hampshire. Granted, I wanted to leave after the first semester, I actively applied to other schools to later revoke my applications. The thing is, Hampshire -as you probably already heard- is a "hippie/hipster school filled with bizarre, overly-politically-correct, awkward weirdos who do a lot of drugs and take "clothing optional" a bit far." And yeah, you wouldn't be too far off, but I wouldn't change it if I could. I am doing work at Hampshire that my friends at other colleges will only start in they last year of school or borderline graduate school topics.Not only do you learn in your class, but you work with your teachers (most of which have a doctorate under their belt); they are co-learners as you are constantly encouraged to work alongside them. Yes, you can completely lounge in mediocrity , as I've been guilty of from time to time... which actually is, to me, the most difficult part of studying there. You have to take on borderline full responsibility for your education, from building it to carrying it out.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Innovation: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

Hampshire is a good small "new" college with

Apr 07 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Hampshire is a good small "new" college with a solid reputation in NYC and other major metropolitan areas across many fields. If you want to have fun and graduate and just get a job that pays well, Hampshire is not a good route. If you aspire to a life in the performing arts, science, media, entrepreneurship, the nonprofit sector, or academia, the college has a pretty strong track record for good outcomes. I loved the writing-based program, and often feel that it developed my communication skills and critical thinking in ways I simply would not have been able to if that time was spent studying for exams constantly. Good luck!
Starting Job: Professional Double Bassist Preparedness: B Reputation: A

Hampshire is a pretty good small college with

Apr 07 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Hampshire is a pretty good small college with a solid reputation in NYC and other major metropolitan areas across many fields. That said, its not Amherst, or even Hamilton. You aren't gonna get an "elite" experience, but a very Spartan campus

I was in the CSI program (then called Social Science.) Hampshire's weird structure
is an academic I liked the professors, classes were small, it was extremely easy to take many classes across campuses, and the Valley is a classic college town. My only concern I would have in returning

Starting Job: Professional Double Bassist Preparedness: B Reputation: A