StudentsReview :: Holyoke Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wellesley College -- Wellesley, MA
Vassar College -- Poughkeepsie, NY

Holyoke Community College

School fucking sucks.AverageArt & Design Department
School fucking sucks. i just don't agree with the fact as a photo major i still have to take a math, 2 labs and 2 englishes. proffessors could care less. just not worth the money. go to stcc or greenfield
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: B, Faculty Accessibility: F
HCC was a stepping stone for me.BrightBiology
HCC was a stepping stone for me. I had extremely below average grades in high school and wasn't ready to attend a four-year school when I started here. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and it still took me a full year of being here to figure out.

* RESOURCES *
Before I even begin the review, I want to say there there are MANY resources here that I was not aware of. If you have intentions of transferring to one of the small liberal arts colleges in the area, FIGURE THAT OUT in your first semester, and stop by the Pathways Program room. They will help you pick classes that will tailor to those schools and will support you in every way when you apply there. I only figured out recently that I wanted to attend Smith, but it's really too late to do anything about it since I waited until most of my degree was completed. HCC has a math center, but make sure you MAKE AN APPOINTMENT! I can't tell you how many times I went in there without one and had to wait upwards of an hour for a tutor to free up. The library staff is very helpful if you can find anyone. Sometimes they're there, and sometimes they're not. There are many places in the Kittredge and Frost buildings where you can get help. Lots of help if you are looking for a job off campus, or if you need to edit your resume. If you look around, there's no excuse for failure.

* FACULTY *
I have had absolutely horrible professors, and professors who I have taken multiple classes with. USE RATEMYPROFESSOR! And pick your own classes. Your advisor will tell you what to do, but just ask for the PIN to access your class changes online, and pick your own classes based on the professor. It will make a world of difference. About half of the faculty in my department have been great, while the other half are so-so. Take a class with Bruseo or McMaster. Both make you think, and are challenging professors. But they're also extremely helpful and willing to work with you.

* FOOD *
I've found the food here is generally garbage. They make decent soup. There is a Subway run by the school, so the prices are different and they don't accept gift cards. Same with the Starbucks.

* BUILDINGS *
They are doing a lot of remodeling, slowly but surely. Many of the buildings are just acceptable, but they work. The first floor of the Donahue building, and the Kittredge building, both are really nice. Bathrooms are generally just passable. Lots of concrete everywhere.

* PEOPLE *
You have a large range of people here, from older adults getting an education, to kids just out of high school. You are truly stupid people who's parents are making them come here, and you have people who just couldn't afford a real college who earn a 4.0. I've found the people generally pleasant. Most of my classes were small and we are generally socalized.Overall, my time here was generally positive. This school allowed me to get my act together and transfer to UMass through MassTransfer. While not my first choice, still a good choice for my major.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+
This has been the worst College I've everNot so bright
This has been the worst College I've ever been to. Oh sorry, I mean two extra years of high school.
Nearly everyone uses their phones in class and the professors do nothing about it. I had a professor even say "I got in trouble because the head department came in and saw people using their phones so you can't use them anymore." Umm.. hello.. they shouldn't be using their phones in the first place. I've talked to the professors multiple times about the issue and they do nothing about it because "They can't." Why don't they try to be the professor and THROW THE STUDENT OUT for using their cellphone? Oh, wait they'd have nearly no one to teach.

A professor also went 'missing' for a few days and never had sent emails and when I went down to the department after the third day of him missing class, she told me that she put a paper up on the board today. So it took her three days to do it? The professor had all of our emails he couldn't send one out? If it was a student who didn't show up for three days without emailing they would of been kicked out of class.

I hated the education department. I did a four classes of early education and WE STUDIED THE SAME EXACT THING IN ALL FOUR CLASSES. Piaget Piaget Piaget Piaget Piaget Piaget Piaget Piaget. I asked why we study so much Piaget and the professor responded "Umass is big on him." Ooookay. Well, I'm not going to Umass. He's NOT the only person who has studied children. I'm not saying that he wasn't smart or anything, but it's just an example of how bland classes are. I cant believe I've paid 1k+ to learn the same thing over and over. The only real purpose of the classes was to get field studies in.

Please please please, do not waste more than 2 years of financial aide here. You won't have any left for when you transfer. Do not believe your adviser when she tells you to just take the liberal arts major. Its a way for them to make you take whatever classes you want and use up all your aid so when you actually study something different, you don't have any aid left. Make your adviser go over your interests to pick a degree you really want. The only thing I could say about the college that I enjoyed was that they had a nice gym.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014