StudentsReview :: Holyoke Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wellesley College -- Wellesley, MA
Vassar College -- Poughkeepsie, NY

Holyoke Community College

HCC was a stepping stone for me.BrightBiology
HCC was a stepping stone for me. I had extremely below average grades in high school and wasn't ready to attend a four-year school when I started here. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and it still took me a full year of being here to figure out.

* RESOURCES *
Before I even begin the review, I want to say there there are MANY resources here that I was not aware of. If you have intentions of transferring to one of the small liberal arts colleges in the area, FIGURE THAT OUT in your first semester, and stop by the Pathways Program room. They will help you pick classes that will tailor to those schools and will support you in every way when you apply there. I only figured out recently that I wanted to attend Smith, but it's really too late to do anything about it since I waited until most of my degree was completed. HCC has a math center, but make sure you MAKE AN APPOINTMENT! I can't tell you how many times I went in there without one and had to wait upwards of an hour for a tutor to free up. The library staff is very helpful if you can find anyone. Sometimes they're there, and sometimes they're not. There are many places in the Kittredge and Frost buildings where you can get help. Lots of help if you are looking for a job off campus, or if you need to edit your resume. If you look around, there's no excuse for failure.

* FACULTY *
I have had absolutely horrible professors, and professors who I have taken multiple classes with. USE RATEMYPROFESSOR! And pick your own classes. Your advisor will tell you what to do, but just ask for the PIN to access your class changes online, and pick your own classes based on the professor. It will make a world of difference. About half of the faculty in my department have been great, while the other half are so-so. Take a class with Bruseo or McMaster. Both make you think, and are challenging professors. But they're also extremely helpful and willing to work with you.

* FOOD *
I've found the food here is generally garbage. They make decent soup. There is a Subway run by the school, so the prices are different and they don't accept gift cards. Same with the Starbucks.

* BUILDINGS *
They are doing a lot of remodeling, slowly but surely. Many of the buildings are just acceptable, but they work. The first floor of the Donahue building, and the Kittredge building, both are really nice. Bathrooms are generally just passable. Lots of concrete everywhere.

* PEOPLE *
You have a large range of people here, from older adults getting an education, to kids just out of high school. You are truly stupid people who's parents are making them come here, and you have people who just couldn't afford a real college who earn a 4.0. I've found the people generally pleasant. Most of my classes were small and we are generally socalized.Overall, my time here was generally positive. This school allowed me to get my act together and transfer to UMass through MassTransfer. While not my first choice, still a good choice for my major.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+
Holyoke Community College was a stepping stone forOther
Holyoke Community College was a stepping stone for me. Throughout most of my academic career I was lazy to the point of failing almost every class I took, much to the chagrin of my teachers who felt I was quite intelligent. It wasn't until the last two years of high school that I matured and begin to care about my grades, but by then it was too late to raise them greatly. For a college education I didn't have many options. HCC has deals with many of the surrounding colleges, allowing you to be automatically accepted if you earn your Bachelors with a high enough GPA. It's a great place to prove yourself. It's also considerably cheaper. I earned my Associates in Computer Information Systems back in 2010 and just recently earned my Bachelors from Westfield State University.

Of these two schools I would say I enjoyed HCC far more. Most of my professors were excellent, and you can take comfort in knowing many of them are teaching the exact same classes at other more expensive and 'prestigious' schools. Interestingly I actually liked the student body at HCC more. Many of the students here are older, working, or have kids. These sorts of people more heavily value the opportunity to go to college and on a whole I feel are much more grounded in reality than your typical student body. Whats most obvious is that these students are not here for the 'college experience', they are here to better themselves.If you are concerned with what others think of you for going to some 'lowly' community college, I wish you nothing but failure. All you are showing is your immaturity in judging an institution not by the quality of its education or the opportunity it provides, but upon frivolous prestige.

I was honestly disappointed and surprised by allQuite BrightArt & Design Department
I was honestly disappointed and surprised by all the negative comments about HCC. First off it's a community college so obviously don't go in expecting a stereotypical college party life or to come out with a revered world-class degree. However I have greatly enjoyed my time at HCC and straight out of high school I feel it has really given me the chance to grow both academically and as a person. All of the factuality I?ve had have been nothing but kind, helpful, intelligent, and passionate. Some were definitely untraditional but as far as I?m concerned that is a good thing. Many were teaching previously or simultaneously at other (more expensive) schools in the area like Western New England College.. The students here are very nice as well. You're not very likely to make any lifelong friends, but everyone in all my classes have been really really nice, respectful, funny, and easy to get along with. Most students here have far more responsibilities than the average college students you'd find at major universities (many work part or full time and/or have children) but that's just a dose of real life. I haven't noticed many cliques and the population is very diverse and everyone is respected. The campus isn't too bad on the outside and it's decorated with bright flowers (which backfire and cause a ton of bees in the spring time.) The classrooms are pretty ugly to say the least and some don't even have windows but it doesn't matter where you learn, as long as you're learning. There are many on campus clubs, activities, and meetings if you look for them. There are also a lot of resources to help people with learning disabilities, trouble in certain subjects, those in need of tutoring, etc. If you're mature and really concerned about the ?high school? feel the campus can give off then I suggest taking night classes. They attract more of an adult crowd. Most morning classes are filled with young students who are still on a high school, 8am-2pm, schedule. But overall, I highly recommend HCC to anyone, weather they've just obtained their HS diploma/GED, if they are looking to broaden their horizons, or even if they are interested in perusing a new career path that they feel will be more fulfilling. Regardless, it's a great school and I wouldn't trade the time I?ve spent here for anything. I?ve never been happier :)
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014