StudentsReview :: Harvard University - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT
Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ
Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Harvard University.BrightComputer Science
Harvard University..or should I say Ivy League Hell? I am an undergraduate computer science student and I can honestly say, this school has disappointed me in more ways than one. To be clear, I am a student of Harvard COLLEGE, which is separate from the University where all the "top-notch researches" study. I'm going into my third year here and I am seriously considering transferring due to the pathetic academics, poor social scene and horrible overall experience.

The administration constantly brags about the large amount of diversity here. Whatever they say is a LIE. There is barely any diversity here if they're talking about race or ethnicity. It's like, 40% whites and 50% Asians, and the rest is a mix of blacks or Hispanics (10%). Cambridge has become an insanely large tourist trap for visitors from China, Korea, and Thailand. Cambridge is large, keep in mind, but the amount of tourists who travel in groups around the campus is INSANE. If you're someone who doesn't feel safe walking around a huge city by yourself, don't come to Harvard. It's not a closed campus. It's thrown right into the busy streets of Cambridge. There are a lot of great restaurants but they're rather expensive.

The students here are terrible. There are a lot of arrogant, closed-minded brainiacs in the computer science department and they aren't there to make friends. In fact, nobody here is willing to make friends unless you're in a frat or sorority, or if you're a Social Justice Warrior. Politically speaking, DON'T come here if you're a conservative or have any anti-liberal views. You'll be shunned by everybody, even the teachers who are EXTREMELY left-winged. Just a warning.

The academics are only slightly enriching. Yeah, I learned a lot in a Philosophy course but did the teacher actually teach? No. He just rambled on and on about his personal life and never gave us grades on our essays. I did most of my own research, since the teacher failed to teach anything. In all honesty, these classes are just like classes at any other college. You can get the same kind of work at a community college. Harvard College is nicknamed for being the "Community College" here at Harvard, and I can see why.

The social scene is, of course, what you make of it. There are clubs and such, but people are always busy studying or working on projects so barely anyone gets involved. Like I said, it's mostly people from China or foreign countries so they all stick together and don't really socialize with anyone outside of their groups. There are a lot of preppy kids, along with rich snobs who come from extremely wealthy families. Most of them have family members who studied here so that's probably why they're here.

In conclusion, this school is far too overrated for what it is. If you're looking for an Ivy League, try applying to Cornell or Duke. I hear they're much better.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
There is a big distinction from Harvard collegeQuite BrightBiology
There is a big distinction from Harvard college and the University. The College is for the Undergrad and all of Harvard's laurel's and reputation rest in the University. Note that almost 90% of Harvard's resources are put into the University-not the College. That said, Harvard does not care about the college.Professors are impossible to interact with and to access. You would be well advised to go to an elite school that focuses on the Undergraduate. I noticed my friends who were also admitted to Harvard College and chose schools like Williams, WUSTL, Rice, to name a few, learned more, were happier and ended up doing better. Ask any Harvard Undergraduate if they are really happy and you will hear "no", across the board. It's sad but you pay for the name not the education. The Graduate programs here, on the other hand, are amazing and worth their stellar reputation. There are people here who have never seen a minority in their lives-seriously.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2019
Useful Schoolwork: B, Education Quality: F
As a dance major,Not so brightPerfomance Arts
As a dance major, I don't feel accepted by all the other academic students. I know I didn't get into Harvard because I'm smart, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to be so uptight around me.
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F