StudentsReview :: Lasell College - Comments and Student Experiences

Lasell College

The one thing I have to thank LasellQuite BrightCommunications
The one thing I have to thank Lasell for is that it led me to transfer to another school I would've never gone to originally.

For prospective students looking into Lasell, I have some advice for you. When looking into schools, I actually visited Lasell multiple times. I thought it was just stunning. The campus itself is laid out very nicely and is very well kept. The Victorian houses are beautiful, and the area is so quiet and tranquil. Unfortunately, for me, this is where the positives ended.

I personally found the students at this school to be very unwelcoming, close minded, and not quite "college ready." Classes were being treated as high school extensions, with lots of complaining about assignments (such as a 4-6 page paper for a midterm.) The main concern for a majority of students at Lasell is partying, which at Lasell actually means standing in the quad and drinking. For all 4 years. At most universities, "Thirsty Thursday" is something you outgrow after your freshman year. At Lasell, it carries on all 4 years. Once I transferred and experiences sophomores and up laughing at the term when freshmen said it, I realized that the obsession with it at Lasell was abnormal, particularly with the older students. Sleeping and/or studying on a Thursday at Lasell is a no-go.

There also isn't really anything to do on campus. Activities and events are sparse. There really aren't many clubs or organizations on campus, and the ones that do exist are very hesitant to include younger students. I wasn't "accepted" into one club, then afterwards I heard students in the club complaining that they didn't have enough members. In another club, they wouldn't allow anyone who wasn't in a leadership position to make suggestions and policed your every move. It was very awkward and made us feel very unwelcome. A majority of us dropped the club after that.

By the end of my time at Lasell, I was bored, academically unchallenged, and just plain miserable. I bolted quickly for another school (this one larger than Lasell) and ended up having the time of my life. Lasell nearly ruined college for me, but my new school made it the best 3 years of my life, so for that I do have to thank Lasell because I never would've gone to that school otherwise.

Please know that just because Lasell is a small school, it doesn't mean that they value you as a student. My own advisor was questioning where I had gone SIX MONTHS after I had already transferred. In a school of around 1,600 students, that isn't acceptable. In my experience, Lasell is happy to take your money, but they don't have time to help you out if you're having any trouble. Small sized schools are nice, but the size of Lasell is simply way too small as it doesn't sustain any kind of campus life. It also backfires when you're part of such a small number but barely matter to the school. Don't be fooled by Lasell's beauty and promises. Make sure you're asking the right questions and speaking to current students who aren't paid ambassadors. It's something I wish I had done before attending, and would only regret it more if transferring hadn't led to something amazing.And if you are a current student who is considering transferring, follow your gut. It seems scary at first, and it definitely isn't fun to uproot yourself, but chances are you'll be much happier, get a better education, and have an overall better experience. College should be something you look back on and appreciate, not regret. If you want to transfer but aren't sold, just trust yourself and do it. You will be glad you did.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016