StudentsReview :: Lasell College - Comments and Student Experiences

Lasell College

Transferred in to the Fashion Design and productionAverageFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Transferred in to the Fashion Design and production program. I had an absolute terrifying experience.There goes 100 K into the garbage. The fashion design major is unbelievably bad. The professors are abusive when they do not like you. School should be about learning, not favoritism. My first week of transferring, sewing professor pulled me to the side at the end of class. To tell me to drop the class. It is a huge red flag if a teacher who's never meant you before tells you to drop a class on the third day of class. Normally a professor will tell you to drop a class if you missed too many classes, or had issues that prevented you from completing the work. This issue happened again because the staff simply do not like extra work, so if they feel like you're extra work they will give a hard time on purpose. I was cold and hungry all the time. There was no hitting in the rooms I lived on campus. I used to stay in the sewing room for 12 hours straight. The reason for the long hours is because NOONE knew what they were doing. I now work for a production company, and the things that took 12 hours, take about 1 hour maximum. Like I said things will take forever in the sewing room because there is no instructor around, and there's nothing you can cover in 90 minutes of 20 students class. To be exact professors in my major would talk about their life during class or ask students to critique each others work. If your serious about your education, do not come here. this school is only here to suck your money out of your pocket, they do not care about the education you're receiving. fashion design professors are sooooo lazy and unprofessional and worslty petty. They would make remarks about students in class and office hours.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
I've never seen or been to a moreBrightOther
I've never seen or been to a more boring school. During tours they tell you there's so much to do but in reality there's rarely any good events, and the party scene is pathetic. The food is bland and the same thing all the time, the houses are nice until you have to share 4 showers with 45 people and run out of hot water, and the advisors are useless....defintely transferring
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Social Life: F
I regret not transferring.Quite BrightDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I regret not transferring. SO MUCH. Just don't go here- it's a complete waste of your money. The tuition is extremely overpriced. While it is a private school, and is therefore expected to be more expensive, it isn't justified. The curriculars aren't that great, and I feel like I could have learned so much more if I had transferred. I'm in the fashion design program, and the restrictions on creative thinking are absolutely stifling. On top of that, I spent most of my time teaching myself how to do things- the faculty acted more as supervisors during many of my classes, and when asked for advice, would give you half an answer and send you on your way.

Freshman year was fine, sophomore year was slightly more challenging, but by then I was already tied into my junior year study abroad. After that, it didn't seem worth it to transfer and have to spend even more money on an extra semester if credits didn't transfer to the new school. I can't speak for any other majors, but if you go to Lasell for fashion, pay close attention to your learning process, and if you think you could achieve more somewhere else, GO. JUST GO NOW.

The students here aren't the brightest or most talented. If you believe that you are above average, aim for a different college. The classes themselves here (regardless of major) are not challenging, and many feel like high school. That being said, I have had some very interesting classes (surprise: History of Human Rights) and some that require a lot of work. It all comes down to the professor.

More complaints: The advising system leaves something to be desired, the campus shuttle is unreliable, and the on-campus activities are lackluster. Don't even get me started on the party scene, it's a joke. Though they describe Boston as "a couple minutes away," it's more like a 40 minute train ride or more. No one goes into Boston, they just stay in their dorms. You're honestly better off getting an off campus apartment than paying their room and board, both because of the cost, and the lack of life. I pay less for an entire year's lease and food off campus than for Lasell's 9 month housing fees. Find a friend and share a room in an apartment. Oh, and the dining hall food is awful. You'll definitely want to learn how to cook.

Also: the tuition is jacked up a couple thousand every year, but your awards will stay the same. Be prepared for that.

The good things: They cost extra, but the suite style rooms are nice. The overall room size is also pretty good. If possible, I would recommend living in one of the houses at some point. I lived in one my freshman year and the room was huge. The area is also very safe, and the landscaping is nice in the fall. A select few professors are really wonderful (Carey, Emanuelson, among others) and really know what they're talking about.I apologize for this (mostly) whiny rant, but someone needs to point these things out. I have simply had enough. After having such high hopes for my college career, and falling in love with the school after visiting it in high school, I can't believe that I'm so disappointed.

Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F