StudentsReview :: Lesley University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 7
Females 7
Males 0
Avg years at University 2.3
Research Quality B- (6.3)
Research Availability B- (5.8)
Research Funding C+ (5.4)
Graduate Politics B- (6.2)
Errand Runners A- (8.5)
Degree Completion B (6.9)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C+ (5.4)
Sufficient Pay B (6.8)
Competitiveness B (7.0)
Education Quality B- (6.3)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.0)
Useful Research C (4.5)
"Individual" treatment B (6.8)
Friendliness B (6.6)
Safety C+ (5.7)
Campus Beauty A- (8.1)
Campus Maintenance B- (5.9)
University Resource/spending B- (6.1)
Extracurriculars B (6.7)
Success-Understanding B (7.2)
Surrounding City A+ (9.7)
Social Life/Environment B (6.6)
Useful ResearchC
Surrounding CityA+
The program is beingJun 12 2013Education
The program is being made up as they go. Changes are made often and grading is unclear. The credibility of the program is low, go here if you just want to get your Phd, but don't expect much. Low retention of students, dropping like flies and no one seems to care.
This university is the most disorganized I haveApr 18 2013Education
This university is the most disorganized I have ever attended. I have completed my undergraduate and another graduate degree elsewhere, and have never experienced such a poorly organized, unhelpful university like Lesley. The website and IT services are relatively non-functional, registering for classes is non-intuitive, student accounts are a mess - it is nearly impossible to figure out when you will receive a bill, how much it will be for, and when the due date is. Bill statements are entirely disorganized and very difficult to read. It is very difficult to tell when you have paid something and whether something is due or not. Payment confirmation notes are ambiguous. No prior notification is given about upcoming charges. Again I have completed degrees and taken outside courses at several universities in the past and have NEVER experienced anything so confusing and unhelpful as I have seen at Lesley University. Every time I have to deal with this university's logistics, it is an entirely frustrating experience. From receiving an ID card, registering for courses, following my accounts, etc. Also, every time I step foot on that campus, I feel as if the university is dumping me upside-down and emptying my pockets. There is a charge for everything. Parking charges are ridiculous, too, and for such low-quality and frustrating experiences. I have regretted every minute I have attended here. The one thing I can say is that there is a small subset of excellent professors, but it is undoubtedly a very small subset. The majority of the faculty are also disorganized, extremely late on evaluating work and submitting grades, and often very unbalanced in their teaching - it is almost as if they have an agenda to push, and do not present the material in a fair and balanced way. Regarding pedagogy, despite an ongoing and active debate in the outside world regarding the merits of various styles of pedagogy, Lesley presents a one-sided view that is very unopen to candid and fair discussion, despite "the putting on of appearances" that it is. This is the exact opposite of what you want from a university, interestingly. Thank goodness I did not go here for my undergraduate degree. I luckily attended and graduated from Harvard College, the far superior university just down the street. I now appreciate my experiences there more than ever before, compared to the shotty university Lesley truly is.
The Creative Arts in Learning program was fantasticAug 09 2011Education
The Creative Arts in Learning program was fantastic and worthwhile. I enjoyed going to class and working on projects. The projects were student directed and applicable to my current career. I feel more confident and use the tools I've acquired often in my classroom. Out of 12 instructors, I only had one that I found to be a little arrogant and self absorbed yet I learned a lot from her. Like any other class there are some classmates I didn't care for, but most have turned out be great resources.
The Integrated Edcuation is the worst place forAug 03 2011Education
The Integrated Edcuation is the worst place for a recent undergraduate to go. They act as if teachers do not willingly go out to get information and to explore themselves. It is all just trying to sell the Arts and the school, as opposed to teaching teachers what to do in certain situations or how to become better teachers.
The graduate program inApr 09 2011Psychology
The graduate program in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is top notch. I am glad I attended the program. I believe the education I received was worth the time, money, and effort. They teach an excellent curriculum and produce worthy counselors.
Mixed feelingsJan 23 2009Other
Mixed feelings....
Absolutely loved my personal research experience, but have mixed feelings as I reflect back on my overall experiences @ Lesley. Many errors made with Financial Aid & Billing Services (carefully review all of your bills -- they do make errors but they will be quick to fix them). However I do feel these departments have improved, customer service wise, and other students have had similar past difficulties with them.

Very little additional support / services for graduate students in comparison to other schools, and despite Lesley's excellent reputation, I honestly feel that students interested in education should shop around carefully at less expensive state schools where they may have an equal experience for significantly less money. Investigate the program you are applying to very carefully, and ask other grad students who have gone through the program their honest opinion. I feel the cost to attend Lesley did not reflect my overall experience. I wouldn't change my area of study, but wish I had gone to a less costly school.

Illinois State University (IL) 1:neutral