StudentsReview :: MCPHS University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

MCPHS University

College rules treat youBrightNursing
College rules treat you like you like Jr. High school. Dress code, petty issues increase anxiety and make you feel like a child. Most assignments are busy work. Learning and understanding take second place to wrote memorization.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2007
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
This is the worst school I have everSuper BrilliantPharmacy
This is the worst school I have ever gone to. I was a straight A student before getting into this school. School is nothing like what was shown during visit. I will start my story from 1st year of pharmacy school. Courses were accelerated but I was keeping up and I had almost 10 weeks to finish 20 credit hours, because I am usually able to handle lot of work load so i wsa doing fine or u can say that pulling it altogather somehow. I worked harder and harder because some of my classmates who were smart and brilliant, were failing courses and were out of the programme. I was thinking that after spending so much money and effort into it, I cannot give up. If I would not have this money concern I would have walked out of this school. Before starting school over here, somebody told me that this is nnot a good school but based on my past academic record, I thought may be it is hard for him but I will be able to manage it so I finished first year of school and passed first year with a grade lower than B. I was still glad that atleast I have not failed. Than started 2nd year. I was surprised to learn that they are not going to teach us therapeutics. It is 9 credit course and nobody teaches it at this school. They will hand you 5-6 articles for disease state. there are 3 classes for 4 hoours each and classes are run on MOn, WEd, Fri. For each class u have to read 5-6 articles plus a chapter from Dipiro(which is a ref. book, not a text book). I am a mature student and very well now, what to study and what not to study and there is no way on earth that you can finish these readings in the assigned time and you have other classes too to worry about. If some how you finish reading those articles than you do not have any time left to memorize the stuff because reading and understanging something is totally dtfferent than memorizing it. When you will go to class you will discuss the answers you have found and teachers will just pick on you to see your answer. they will not post the answers or give you any suppliment handout to fecilitate any learning and you are expected to now everything. In an accelerated program we hardly have time to memorize material and this school wants us to put togather information on our own. Therapeutics is the heart of pharmacy curriculum, if you could get your therapeutics straight you are in good shape. They have left this subject on our own. u will study it on your own, You will pay the school for not teaching this subject and than you will waste four hours of your time at school, just to get a clue about the important points that the teacher has most emphasized on, so that you could solve part of the exam. I have passed first quarter of Second year, probably will pass other quarters too but i will graduate from this school without any knowledge. The job of a teacher is to teach, if everybody could can get knowledge from books than why do we have med school, pharmacy schools all over the country. Why do not we start online pharmacy schools, if we do not need to teach therapeutics.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Maintenance: B, Education Quality: F
Our class started with 152 students.Quite BrightPharmacy
Our class started with 152 students. We now have a class of 122,including pick ups from the previous class. The attrition rate was the first lie told to me at my interview. "We only lose a few students usually due to personal problems."

Course work is 80% rote memorization. Memorize formulas, drug brand & generic, ammino acids, memorize enzymes, memorize all organelles of cells, subtypes, receptors, sub receptors, memorize dosing of seldom used drugs etc. If you ask faculty how you can do better, they will say "memorize my slides." Classes are huge, now down to 122 students. The class behind us is over 170 students.

One faculty member teaches a course 8 days a year times 2 hours each lecture. He told when he had to teach he cannot get any work done. (Yes the faculty does not know the difference between done & finished.)

The faculty constantly puts down and insults students. On a recent exam the highest grade was an 85 and 28 students failed. The chairman of the department said they don't belong here. They do not curve of scale grades. It is a joke to the faculty when maybe 10 or 20 percent of the students get an exam question correct. You are only allowed to review your exams for 10 minutes on your lunch hour.

Lectures consist of slide shows. Therapeutics is taught as follows, "Group 12, what is the answer to question 7? class is that correct?" You teach yourself pathiophysiolgy, disease states etc. If you have a good memory, you will be able to memorize all the drugs, brand, generic, dosing, side effects a pass the exams. For the most part the faculty will not answer questions.

MCP Worcester costs over $32,000 a year. Last year the building was closed over the weekends and at 6:30 in the evening weeknights. There was not enough money in the budget to pay the security guard. The library is inadequate, the IT computer system is about three notches below the local community college. The computer screens in the lab have never been cleaned and are full of finger prints. There are no study rooms (conference type rooms) for group study. They have classes in the library and computer lab- thus they are often unavailable.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2006