StudentsReview ™ :: Mount Holyoke College - Comments and Student Experiences

Philander Smith College -- Little Rock, AR
Smith College -- Northampton, MA
Smith Chapel Bible College -- Tallahassee, FL

Mount Holyoke College

Coming from abroad, I expected an open-minded place

Mar 23 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Coming from abroad, I expected an open-minded place. instead it was an intolerant bubble where everyone is expected to be super-liberal and not challenge perceived wisdom. For instance, in one class, the prof kept confusing ethnicity with race and put down students who tried to distinguish between the two, because, for instance, that would upset the issue of what is a Latino and can Latinos be 'white.' Somehow, fun a sin, so anyone who tries to enjoy themselves on campus is considered a 'party girl.' Lots of cliques, though of course unspoken...as there's a myth of female solidarity.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: F

Coming to Mount Holyoke is one of the

Feb 07 2014Biology
Coming to Mount Holyoke is one of the worst regrets of my life. It's LITERALLY in the middle of nowhere! There is nothing exciting happening here!!! Fellow students are so much dumber than my high school fellow classmates. You have no choice but to study constantly because that's really all there is to do, and that makes people unnecessarily competitive. The only valuable thing that's come out of this experience for me are really great close circle of friends. Otherwise, I would be evil to let anyone ever go through what I'm experiencing here. I hate my every waking and sleeping moment here.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: F

Like you, I read through all of these

Jun 18 2013Neuroscience/Cognitive Science
Like you, I read through all of these reviews. I made a lot of excuses as to why the negative reviews I read "weren't true" or at least wouldn't be true for me. After one year of attending Mount Holyoke, I dread going back. I have nothing against homosexuality, but the campus is largely lesbian dominated. Also, I can't go on Facebook without seeing rants about "misogyny of the world", or "patriarchy". One girl even posted: "If you're not a militant feminist, you're not my friend". Social life is awful. To have any fun you have to go to Amherst. The guys there, knowing that you're from an all girl's school, are usually only interested in sleeping with you. It is very hard to find a relationship. The faculty is great, but the student body is toxic. I've made very few friends that I want to hang onto, and I don't usually struggle with these things. You may think the all women aspect is okay for you. If you're neutral about it, I urge you not to go. You won't know how much you don't like it until after you're already stuck there (like me). Everyone is overly serious all of the time, and anyone who was remotely normal (most of my friends) have transferred out already. I'm just biding my time until I can get out. The administration (both student life and ESPECIALLY the athletic department) is HORRIBLE. Any fun thing must be rained on. Vegas Night? Toast. Some girls tried to start a sorority and got essentially attacked on Facebook by the very intolerant "lesbian feminist" group. I'm not saying this to be mean, it's just the truth.

One of my good friends from high school also went to Holyoke, and we compared notes on how we knew NO ONE on our dorm floor (she's transferring). If you walk around campus, you will not see girls laughing or having fun. You will see small groups or individuals walking from point a to point b, hating their lives. I had a very big breakdown at the end of the year because I couldn't stand being there anymore. Although the food and some faculty are great, it isn't worth the mental, emotional, and social suffering that you'll experience. Please, please, please, if you think of yourself as remotely normal, and are not super feminist, a lesbian, or an exchange student, take a good look at other schools if you can. I wish I had listened to the reviewers before me.

Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Friendliness: F