StudentsReview :: Mount Ida College - Comments and Student Experiences

Philander Smith College -- Little Rock, AR
Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Geneva, NY
Smith College -- Northampton, MA

Mount Ida College

This school is one that you either hate,

Nov 16 2014PreVet and Veterinary
This school is one that you either hate, or love. There's not much to do on campus, though they are trying really hard to fix that. They recently started an accapella group, and have special shows on weekends sometimes. Its definitely some place where you need to search for things to do and not just lay around. The opportunities aren't just going to fall into your hands. In my experience the most prevalent thing that people do on campus is smoke, but that's only because its easy to do and everyone does it. The teachers are pretty helpful, and know what they are talking about, aside from a few that don't speak very good English. If you come here and DO YOUR WORK, you will get you money's worth. The Vet Tech and Dental programs are VERY hard. If you're not willing to work, then you should pick something else. Malloy hall is pretty nice. It is suite style and you share 2 bathrooms with a total of 12 people (yourself included). Its easy to go into Boston with access to the free shuttle, which is not always reliable, but it gets you to where you need to go. A lot of the people here are not the brightest. If you're smart, I would only come here for either the Vet Tech Program or Dental program. Everything else here is a joke. With that being said, I think you should come here for a tour and visit before you take my word for it. Its all about what you want.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C-

If you're thinking about going to this school,

Jan 18 2014Biology
If you're thinking about going to this school, please do not. I graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA. Going to this school was a HORRIBLE decision. Mount Ida is a prison, for intelligent, regular people like me. There is no diversity. There are no academic clubs. For over a month, there was no access to the gym. No hot water! The food makes me sick, daily. Don't waste your time here, please. The classes aren't academically challenging, in the slightest. I taught myself chemistry through youtube last semester. This year at Mount Ida was an absolute waste of time for me, and after this semester, I'm transferring. I live in freshmen housing. I'm pretty sure one of my RAs has a learning disability. Both of them are extremely unapproachable and rude. This place is absolute hell. DON'T GO HERE.
Scholastic Success: C+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

Here I was a year ago looking at

May 03 2014Business - Management and Administration
Here I was a year ago looking at college reviews. MIC is an ok school, some people expect a lot out of a 2000 person easy to get into school and write bad reviews accordingly. Some of the bad reviews I believe are wrong or misrepresenting, or made by negative people, some are definitely legitimate. College is too expensive, a lot of people get scholarships though. 12k for housing, 29k for attending. I got 12k scholarship, sports players may get more.

Mount Ida has done a lot over the last year, they're constantly remodeling or building new stuff, or making the campus look nicer, campus looks nice at the end of the year after lots of remodeling.

Regarding academics, some classes I love and are relevant, some are a necessary waste of time. Workload isn't too bad, if your focused on getting good grades then you'll have a solid amount of work. Teachers are good, some from impressive backgrounds with aid lectures, I had one that spoke weak English out of two semisters.

Regarding social life, it's somewhat hard for a suburban white kid like me to make friends black kids from the hood who say "my nigga" every other word. People are nice, and there's strict policies on fighting so there aren't any tools that walk around trying to fight people. There's hot girls, there's ugly girls, like at any college. Social life is pretty weak I must say. Unless your a hot girl, or a really social person, or in sports, you may not have a good social life here. Lots of people drink mainly on Thursday-Saturday then go to exclusive room parties.

Regarding student body: a lot of friendly people, nice student body, didn't meet many people I didn't like. Though there's kids from the hood here and they won't hesitate to steal anything from you that you leave out in the open, thieves are probably at every school though. If you live on a ground floor people will reach in your windows and steal stuff laying out, pretty sad.

A lot of tatted up black kids who hang in their groups, not particularly welcoming for a white kid like me.

Regarding public events, there's a dance every once in a while, there good dances but not held frequently, football and lacrosse games, shows, concerts*, etc.

Regarding living conditions, basic college rooms, small, nothing special, not great, bathrooms are cleaned every morning but are often really messy once the day starts, bathrooms kinda suck, I'm a man though and can deal with it. I'm sure facilities and hallways for the girls are much better. RAs on my floor were very lax, some RAs will drink with you, some will be cops.

Cons: bad desserts!, a lot of black people from the hood, not so good social life, scary bathrooms, people steal, boys floors are loud and smelly, some pointless classes you have to take, easy to get bored.

Pros: friendly people, easy to get into, foods ok, teachers are good, facilities are nice, campus looks nice, some good intramurals, hot girls, not too much workload, dances and other social events, close to boston, nice gym, new facilities and advances, etc.

Overall, ok school, could be better, not bad considering its easy to get into and small. I don't expect rippers everyday and top notch academics from a small school, those who do May be dismayed. The school mostly met my expectations. Academics were fairly good, which is one of the most important factors.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017