StudentsReview :: Mount Ida College - Comments and Student Experiences

Philander Smith College -- Little Rock, AR
Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Geneva, NY
Smith College -- Northampton, MA

Mount Ida College

If you're thinking about going to this school,

Jan 18 2014Biology
If you're thinking about going to this school, please do not. I graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA. Going to this school was a HORRIBLE decision. Mount Ida is a prison, for intelligent, regular people like me. There is no diversity. There are no academic clubs. For over a month, there was no access to the gym. No hot water! The food makes me sick, daily. Don't waste your time here, please. The classes aren't academically challenging, in the slightest. I taught myself chemistry through youtube last semester. This year at Mount Ida was an absolute waste of time for me, and after this semester, I'm transferring. I live in freshmen housing. I'm pretty sure one of my RAs has a learning disability. Both of them are extremely unapproachable and rude. This place is absolute hell. DON'T GO HERE.
Scholastic Success: C+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I went to Mount Ida right after I

Dec 19 2013Criminal
I went to Mount Ida right after I gradated high school and it was a terrible mistake. The school is horrible, the people that go there are snooty and rude, the wifi never works, and its just an overall bad school. There are no parties or social life at all. I finished one semester and I withdrew as soon as I could.
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use: F

Here I was a year ago looking at

May 03 2014Business - Management and Administration
Here I was a year ago looking at college reviews. MIC is an ok school, some people expect a lot out of a 2000 person easy to get into school and write bad reviews accordingly. Some of the bad reviews I believe are wrong or misrepresenting, or made by negative people, some are definitely legitimate. College is too expensive, a lot of people get scholarships though. 12k for housing, 29k for attending. I got 12k scholarship, sports players may get more.

Mount Ida has done a lot over the last year, they're constantly remodeling or building new stuff, or making the campus look nicer, campus looks nice at the end of the year after lots of remodeling.

Regarding academics, some classes I love and are relevant, some are a necessary waste of time. Workload isn't too bad, if your focused on getting good grades then you'll have a solid amount of work. Teachers are good, some from impressive backgrounds with aid lectures, I had one that spoke weak English out of two semisters.

Regarding social life, it's somewhat hard for a suburban white kid like me to make friends black kids from the hood who say "my nigga" every other word. People are nice, and there's strict policies on fighting so there aren't any tools that walk around trying to fight people. There's hot girls, there's ugly girls, like at any college. Social life is pretty weak I must say. Unless your a hot girl, or a really social person, or in sports, you may not have a good social life here. Lots of people drink mainly on Thursday-Saturday then go to exclusive room parties.

Regarding student body: a lot of friendly people, nice student body, didn't meet many people I didn't like. Though there's kids from the hood here and they won't hesitate to steal anything from you that you leave out in the open, thieves are probably at every school though. If you live on a ground floor people will reach in your windows and steal stuff laying out, pretty sad.

A lot of tatted up black kids who hang in their groups, not particularly welcoming for a white kid like me.

Regarding public events, there's a dance every once in a while, there good dances but not held frequently, football and lacrosse games, shows, concerts*, etc.

Regarding living conditions, basic college rooms, small, nothing special, not great, bathrooms are cleaned every morning but are often really messy once the day starts, bathrooms kinda suck, I'm a man though and can deal with it. I'm sure facilities and hallways for the girls are much better. RAs on my floor were very lax, some RAs will drink with you, some will be cops.

Cons: bad desserts!, a lot of black people from the hood, not so good social life, scary bathrooms, people steal, boys floors are loud and smelly, some pointless classes you have to take, easy to get bored.

Pros: friendly people, easy to get into, foods ok, teachers are good, facilities are nice, campus looks nice, some good intramurals, hot girls, not too much workload, dances and other social events, close to boston, nice gym, new facilities and advances, etc.

Overall, ok school, could be better, not bad considering its easy to get into and small. I don't expect rippers everyday and top notch academics from a small school, those who do May be dismayed. The school mostly met my expectations. Academics were fairly good, which is one of the most important factors.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017