StudentsReview :: Mount Ida College - Comments and Student Experiences

Smith College -- Northampton, MA

Mount Ida College

I went to MIC the years of 04-06

Nov 01 2010Psychology
I went to MIC the years of 04-06. During my expierence at the time, the facilities were disgusting. def not cleaned properly. I didnt find the work load/classes too challenging. I felt like i was in high school, including campus life as well. I met a lot of good people when i went to school there and had a lot of fun, however it is a very small campus. Just like high school there was too much drama/gossiping/etc. The years i was there i had a really good time, and the party life was pretty good. The last year i attended in 06, it seemed the party life on campus was disapeering. looking back on it, it was a good expierience and a lot of fun, but def not worth the endless phone calls from sallie-mae.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2008
Surrounding City: A+, Innovation: F

Mount Ida is like any other college, it

Oct 14 2010Business - Management and Administration
Mount Ida is like any other college, it will be what you want it to be. If you want to go to college and party every night, you will meet other people to party with every night of the week. If you want to go to college and work hard, learn and excel, you will find others that want to do that as well. The experience is what you make of it. There are a lot of great students and faculty, the community is great. The dormitory's have some issues, but they are dormitory's not hotel rooms so I don't know what some people expected... and the new dorm hall is very nice. People who hate on Mount Ida are usually those who had the wrong expectations going into it. It is not a party school, thus no Greek system, but there are lots of parties in the dorm halls and off campus. The secluded community gives you the opportunity to focus on your studies as well as the ability to go down town easily and party like a rock star in your spare time. I loved this school and the people there. Go Mustangs!
5th Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

The main beef I have with Mount Ida

Sep 22 2010Unknown
The main beef I have with Mount Ida is the intolerance. For a school that totes diversity, they sure don't have very much. I know multiple people that are bullied on a regular basis, which is something that SHOULD stop in high school but for some reason doesn't here. I have heard kids called 'faggot', 'disgusting', 'weird', etc. If you are not 'normal' in some way you are looked down upon--there's no niche to fit in here. It's just like high school. If you weren't popular there don't expect to be here, either.

Walking down the hallway I hear tons of racial slurs. I don't care if you're african american--it does NOT make it okay to degrade yourself by using the N word all the time. That and the drinking. I live in a 24hr quiet suite...I still hear drunk kids at 3 in the morning.

It is super easy to sneak onto campus. It makes me feel relatively unsafe. That and they refuse to install cameras in the hallways when there are regular break ins, many of which involve broken windows or kicked down doors. Public safety doesn't really do a whole lot about this except have you fill out an incident report and sit there with their thumbs up their butts.

The dorms themselves are falling apart, especially the freshman ones, and getting any sort of maintenance can take a very long time.In short...if my program were being offered elsewhere, I probably wouldn't be going here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013