StudentsReview :: Mount Ida College - Comments and Student Experiences

Philander Smith College -- Little Rock, AR
Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Geneva, NY
Smith College -- Northampton, MA

Mount Ida College

Mount Ida is not the best school but

Aug 06 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Mount Ida is not the best school but I took some classes that were excellent, outside my major which was Graphic Design. The Graphic Design program is not good but the faculty is very friendly. The registration office is probably the worst department of this college, the people that works on this area are rude. I would not recommend this school for a career in Graphic Design or Fashion Design. Overall been in Boston and Newton was an excellent experience.
4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Surrounding City: A-, Collaboration/Competitive: D-

First of all, do not expect anything great

Feb 24 2009Criminal
First of all, do not expect anything great from this school. If your looking for the typical college life, look elsewhere. Most students go home on the weekend, and since I'm from out of state it feels like a ghost town. The students are dumb, potheads, alcoholics who only care about thirsty Thursday. No one goes to class on friday mornings. The food is even worse! Its either greasy or tasteless, expect to find the same food every week. The freshman dorms are quite old and nasty. The campus is so small that you will run into the same people everyday. People know everyone's business. Most of the guys are jock meatheads, don't expect to find a love interest here. It gets so boring, Boston is ATLEAST an hour commute, the shuttle to the T is terrible and freshman cant have cars on campus! In conclusion, come here if you have lowered your expectations about what college is or should be!
1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

I thought Mount Ida would be great

Jun 21 2008Criminal
I thought Mount Ida would be great. It was my first choice and only choice for a school. The beginning of the year was pretty alright.

Come Halloween a teacher (name withdrawn) called me a freak in-front of the whole class because I dressed up. I wasn't the only one who had dressed up that day.

During the winer, we had very little heat to keep our dorms warm. Come spring/summer is when they had the heat on. The lose of hot water in the dorm wasn't pleasant at all. You would think they would but the 10,000 towards dorms for good use...it doesn't. My dorm wasn't the only one that experienced problems. Mine and one other had pipes burst, keeping students out of the dorms for awhile. Luckily mine was for a day, the other dorm it was maybe about a week or less.

There was a good amount of break-ins near the end of the year. As well as a friend of mine getting stabbed on campus which was the floor above me. The drinking at my college did get a bit out of control. Freshmen were getting sent to the hospital because they drank to much. It was almost put on the news the alcohol problem that was happening.The only good thing I can say about the school was the classes, and thats about it. Overall if you choose to go here I advise you to commute instead of staying on campus

1st Year Female -- Class 2011