StudentsReview :: Mount Ida College - Comments and Student Experiences

Philander Smith College -- Little Rock, AR
Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Geneva, NY
Smith College -- Northampton, MA

Mount Ida College

The school should be classified as a junior

Jun 18 2011Undecided
The school should be classified as a junior college as best. It is a total waste of money and time. Retention, alcohol and drugs are a definite problem on campus which is not being addressed adequately. I would strongly advise that you visit and look around carefully at the campus environment. Save your money and your time and seek a quality education elsewhere. Do research and read the statistics, particularly regarding retention rates, it is eye-opening!
1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Collaboration/Competitive: C, Perceived Campus Safety: F

I thought Mount Ida would be great

Jun 21 2008Criminal
I thought Mount Ida would be great. It was my first choice and only choice for a school. The beginning of the year was pretty alright.

Come Halloween a teacher (name withdrawn) called me a freak in-front of the whole class because I dressed up. I wasn't the only one who had dressed up that day.

During the winer, we had very little heat to keep our dorms warm. Come spring/summer is when they had the heat on. The lose of hot water in the dorm wasn't pleasant at all. You would think they would but the 10,000 towards dorms for good use...it doesn't. My dorm wasn't the only one that experienced problems. Mine and one other had pipes burst, keeping students out of the dorms for awhile. Luckily mine was for a day, the other dorm it was maybe about a week or less.

There was a good amount of break-ins near the end of the year. As well as a friend of mine getting stabbed on campus which was the floor above me. The drinking at my college did get a bit out of control. Freshmen were getting sent to the hospital because they drank to much. It was almost put on the news the alcohol problem that was happening.The only good thing I can say about the school was the classes, and thats about it. Overall if you choose to go here I advise you to commute instead of staying on campus

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C+

The main beef I have with Mount Ida

Sep 22 2010Unknown
The main beef I have with Mount Ida is the intolerance. For a school that totes diversity, they sure don't have very much. I know multiple people that are bullied on a regular basis, which is something that SHOULD stop in high school but for some reason doesn't here. I have heard kids called 'faggot', 'disgusting', 'weird', etc. If you are not 'normal' in some way you are looked down upon--there's no niche to fit in here. It's just like high school. If you weren't popular there don't expect to be here, either.

Walking down the hallway I hear tons of racial slurs. I don't care if you're african american--it does NOT make it okay to degrade yourself by using the N word all the time. That and the drinking. I live in a 24hr quiet suite...I still hear drunk kids at 3 in the morning.

It is super easy to sneak onto campus. It makes me feel relatively unsafe. That and they refuse to install cameras in the hallways when there are regular break ins, many of which involve broken windows or kicked down doors. Public safety doesn't really do a whole lot about this except have you fill out an incident report and sit there with their thumbs up their butts.

The dorms themselves are falling apart, especially the freshman ones, and getting any sort of maintenance can take a very long time.In short...if my program were being offered elsewhere, I probably wouldn't be going here.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013