StudentsReview :: Mount Ida College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hobart and William Smith Colleges -- Geneva, NY
Smith College -- Northampton, MA

Mount Ida College

Feb 12 2013Animal Studies

Excellent program, best program reputation

Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+

This school was a perfect fit for me

Jul 28 2011Interior Design
This school was a perfect fit for me. The people were really friendly; it was easy to get involve. They listen to the student?s opinion. If you want to party you can party, if you want to study, you can study. You make the best of it. YES, some of the residents are not the best, but trust me, I seen much worst, the new building is amazing, something for freshmans to look forward to. They have programs for just about anything and everyone. TLC for low income and first generation students; SALSA club for Latinos; BSAC for African Americans, great honors program, LOP for student with learning disabilities and many others. You are always rewarded for your hard work. At Mount Ida I learn so much in the classroom and outside as well. Yes, the college is small. BETTER!! All the attention is on you. You are missed if you don't go to class. The president knows your name, the cafeteria people know who you are. I made the best of it when I was there, you could too. Some people might talk bad about MIC, make sure you ask if they got kicked out for doing something bad or got bad grades for not showing up to class, trust me it happens. I do have a lot of students? loans, Sallie MAE hunts me. All colleges are like that, regardless where you go; unless you get a full scholarship you will have student loans. I see it as an investment on me, the person I am today thanks to Mount Ida College.
4th Year Female -- Class 2008
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: A

Here I was a year ago looking at

May 03 2014Business - Management and Administration
Here I was a year ago looking at college reviews. MIC is an ok school, some people expect a lot out of a 2000 person easy to get into school and write bad reviews accordingly. Some of the bad reviews I believe are wrong or misrepresenting, or made by negative people, some are definitely legitimate. College is too expensive, a lot of people get scholarships though. 12k for housing, 29k for attending. I got 12k scholarship, sports players may get more.

Mount Ida has done a lot over the last year, they're constantly remodeling or building new stuff, or making the campus look nicer, campus looks nice at the end of the year after lots of remodeling.

Regarding academics, some classes I love and are relevant, some are a necessary waste of time. Workload isn't too bad, if your focused on getting good grades then you'll have a solid amount of work. Teachers are good, some from impressive backgrounds with aid lectures, I had one that spoke weak English out of two semisters.

Regarding social life, it's somewhat hard for a suburban white kid like me to make friends black kids from the hood who say "my nigga" every other word. People are nice, and there's strict policies on fighting so there aren't any tools that walk around trying to fight people. There's hot girls, there's ugly girls, like at any college. Social life is pretty weak I must say. Unless your a hot girl, or a really social person, or in sports, you may not have a good social life here. Lots of people drink mainly on Thursday-Saturday then go to exclusive room parties.

Regarding student body: a lot of friendly people, nice student body, didn't meet many people I didn't like. Though there's kids from the hood here and they won't hesitate to steal anything from you that you leave out in the open, thieves are probably at every school though. If you live on a ground floor people will reach in your windows and steal stuff laying out, pretty sad.

A lot of tatted up black kids who hang in their groups, not particularly welcoming for a white kid like me.

Regarding public events, there's a dance every once in a while, there good dances but not held frequently, football and lacrosse games, shows, concerts*, etc.

Regarding living conditions, basic college rooms, small, nothing special, not great, bathrooms are cleaned every morning but are often really messy once the day starts, bathrooms kinda suck, I'm a man though and can deal with it. I'm sure facilities and hallways for the girls are much better. RAs on my floor were very lax, some RAs will drink with you, some will be cops.

Cons: bad desserts!, a lot of black people from the hood, not so good social life, scary bathrooms, people steal, boys floors are loud and smelly, some pointless classes you have to take, easy to get bored.

Pros: friendly people, easy to get into, foods ok, teachers are good, facilities are nice, campus looks nice, some good intramurals, hot girls, not too much workload, dances and other social events, close to boston, nice gym, new facilities and advances, etc.

Overall, ok school, could be better, not bad considering its easy to get into and small. I don't expect rippers everyday and top notch academics from a small school, those who do May be dismayed. The school mostly met my expectations. Academics were fairly good, which is one of the most important factors.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017