StudentsReview :: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA
Yale University -- New Haven, CT
Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology

A great thing about MIT is how down-to-earthBrightEconomics
A great thing about MIT is how down-to-earth and humble everyone is. A few months after knowing someone, you will sometimes discover that they were the US Math Champion, or has a patent, etc...I would not experience the same at surrounding schools such as BC or Harvard, where kids tend to be wealthier and snootier.

Of course everywhere you go, there will be those few know-it-alls, but I think people at MIT are very approachable. Also, on the side-note, although we aren't know for our looks and glamour, you will find great personality and some amazing, intelligent people filled with ideas. But overall, I think you can have some of the most interesting conversations with MIT people. In terms of academics, MIT is challenging, but DO-able. (much more do-able than I expected!) I'm not a genius, but I do know my priorities, which is what gets me through MIT. Also, I have great friends by my side that makes this school so much greater. I think some kids get caught up in getting their straight A's that they isolate themselves from making friends. Don't do this-- know the balance needed! I would much rather have a few B's here and there and be happy! (but obviously, don't do the opposite...like just go to frat parties 24/7 and get C's)

2nd Year Female -- Class 2010
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Scholastic Success: F
So I'm sitting here with four problem setsQuite BrightPhysics
So I'm sitting here with four problem sets this week hanging over my head, planning on pulling an all-nighter to plan a protest against the administration's plans to eliminate an important aspect of student life (dorm rush), in desperate need of caffeine, and I haven't had decent food in a week.

Yet I can't imagine anywhere else I'd rather be. This place is absolutely amazing. Don't come here if you want to be coddled and have grade-inflation and administrators holding your hand all the time. Come here if you want to make your own decisions and work harder than you ever have in your life. Because if you put in the work, this place will give back more to you than you could ever imagine.

I have been able to learn more here than I ever thought possible. I have been able to acheive amazing things working through student groups. I look around at the faces of people in my dorm and I see thinkers, builders, artists, theorists, and great engineers. I know these people will one day change the world, or at least their own little part of it. Yet these same people are the ones I flirt with, pull pranks and hacks with, complain about workload with, order middle of the night pizza with. It's mindblowing. The diversity of culture here is fantastic--you can choose where you live. There's really a sense of community with where you live; it's not just a bunch of people living together. There's an option for everyone: the French speaker, the "cool kids" from high school, the pyromaniacs, the raging liberal hippies, the serious student, the serious drinker, whatever.

The professors are generally quite accessible. As a freshman, I took classes with Chomsky, the guy who discovered the world's oldest rock, and the guy who discovered Uranus' rings. One of my classes was only 2 people. Getting UROPs (research jobs, $8.75/hr to start) is ridiculously easy; I emailed a prof saying I was interested in what he was doing, and within a week I was hired.

Don't apply to MIT unless you love math and science and engineering. It doesn't matter that MIT is ranked in the top 10 or 5 or whatever it is now in USNWR. It matters that you get the best possible education for you--and someone put off by the number of math and science requirements should not be applying to MIT. If you want a broad, Ivory Tower liberal arts education, try the little school up-chuck. If you want to be around some of the best minds in the country and want to analytically look at the problems in today's world (yes, engineering problems but social problems as well), this may be the place for you. MIT is idiosyncratic, so visit before you decide.I Love This Fucking Place.

1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+
As has been already pointed out, it definitelyBrightUndecided
As has been already pointed out, it definitely takes a certain sort to love MIT, and that type of person might have just as wonderful a time at one of several other schools. Yeah, classes are rough, yeah, there's a lot of science and math around...but if you think all you're here for are classes, go elsewhere. The student body is definitely diverse, not all geeks like most people assume, although there's certainly a lot of geeks. Only when you start to factor in the attitude of the place, then you begin to understand what makes this place special. I had a v. tough time deciding between MIT and a few other schools, and I'm glad I decided "hey, it's the chance of a lifetime...so take it!" And it works for me...I've had so many amazing experiences in my first few months here, some of which I'm absolutely sure I wouldn't manage anywhere else, like watching the Boston skyline from the top of the little Dome, or dropping a whole kilo of sodium into the Charles [crazy crazy Rush happenings] Remember, the most important thing is that you get out what you put in. If you want a good social life, go out and meet people, most of them don't bite. If you want to pursue some really cool research topic, talk to professors, spam the entire department if need be (usually not!) and voila, you've got a project. The possibilities really are endless; come visit overnight (do NOT limit yourself to the official tour/class spiel) and we'll show you what we're about.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007