StudentsReview :: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA
Yale University -- New Haven, CT
Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ

Major: management Minor: economicsOther
Major: management Minor: economics
MIT is an excellent university with a stellar reputation to receive an undergraduate education. However if you have any doubt about the probability of you being successful and ending up in the career you want to be in, do yourself a favor and enroll elsewhere. There are many other prestiguous colleges and universities to choose from.I hated my whole experience here and will regret it for the rest of my life. I wish I had received a denial letter - they could have used the same letterhead and the same amount of ink. With a 4.0/5.0 gpa, I learned almost absolutely nothing and left MIT feeling incompetent and with a feeling of emptyness. And I consider myself to be an intelligent person with a 130 IQ who imposes high academic standards for myself (We live in a country obsessed with IQ). You have to have had acquired some sort of knowledge. Also I made very few friends while I was there and couldn't wait to get out. I ignored all of the warning signs when I was a freshman that it was time for me to drop out. I got one A and B's in all of my classes that year, but lacked a sense of fulfillment and pride in my work. I wanted to major in computer science and work in that industry but ended up having to major in mgmt and economics to graduate. I was never accepted by my living group as a colleague or member of the MIT community, not to the extent that anyone qualified enough to be accepted by MIT deserves. Obviously I just didn't belong at this school. I have never experienced this type of rejection before in my life. Frankly, I would have preferred it in writing.
Things you need to know before going toQuite BrightOther
Things you need to know before going to MIT:

1. If you're not completely certain that you want to be a science or technology major, don't come here. MIT isn't called "Massacusetts Institute of Technology" for nothing. The curriculum does not cater to those who want to major in Literature or many of the other humanities. The curriculum does require that you take eight "humanities" courses, but it also requires that you take 2 semesters of physics (MIT physics, mind you), 1 semester of chemistry, 1 semester of biology, and 2 semesters of calculus. It can be accurately said that each semester course is the equivalent of a two-semester course at another school. And most of the students here could care less about writing or the humanities.

2. Don't expect to meet happy, enthusiastic students. Saying that students here have broken spirits is an understatement. Most people here are just stressed out and don't get much sleep.

3. If you're apathetic about politics, this is the place to be. If you take a quick trip to the other little school down the street from MIT, you might notice that students are more politically active. It's very difficult to get anyone involved in politics here at MIT. That's probably because everyone's got so much work to do.

1st Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A-, Individual Value: D+
The undergraduate experience for economics majors is terriblQuite BrightEconomics
The undergraduate experience for economics majors is terrible - the faculty consistently gets the lowest rankings on student surveys of teaching ability. it is not that the the professors are not great researchers - they are - many have won nobel prizes, etc. but their teaching ability leaves a LOT to be desired - moreover, they don't give a damn about undergrads - no matter how well you do in the department, it is often difficult to get meaningful UROPs with professors - they are too involved with their own research to care... the mit experience is in large part shaped by the department that you choose to major in - in this case, don't major in economics unless you are hell bent on a Phd - you're job options post graduation suck and the quality of your educational experience is limited (unless you enjoy teaching yourself all the material and doing a lot of independent research)
4th Year Female -- Class 2003