StudentsReview :: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA
Yale University -- New Haven, CT
Princeton University -- Princeton, NJ

Total Grad Surveys 22
Females 7
Males 15
Avg years at University 2.5
Research Quality A (9.6)
Research Availability A (9.1)
Research Funding A (8.9)
Graduate Politics A- (8.6)
Not Errand Runners A (9.0)
Degree Completion A- (8.1)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] A- (8.3)
Sufficient Pay B (6.6)
Competitiveness A- (8.1)
Education Quality A- (8.3)
Faculty Accessibility A- (8.2)
Useful Research A- (8.5)
"Individual" treatment B (7.0)
Friendliness B (6.6)
Safety B+ (8.0)
Campus Beauty C+ (5.2)
Campus Maintenance B (7.2)
University Spending A- (8.3)
Extracurriculars B+ (7.3)
Scholastic Success B+ (7.9)
Surrounding City A- (8.7)
Social Life/ Environment C+ (5.8)
Campus BeautyC+
Research QualityA
May 23 2007Mechanical Engineering
MIT is definitely the best engineering school around the world!
Courses are not a high priority among theMay 26 2005Chemistry
Courses are not a high priority among the faculty and TAs are overburdened. Professors typically expect all students to produce new results everyday. This includes requiring students to work on Saturdays in some groups. Many students are are arrogant and believe that they are always right (but the undergrads are worse). The great thing about MIT is that the faculty here some of the most fascinating and original research availble. Despite MIT's failing to foster learning among students, the super research oppertunities are motivating for many students.
It's been challenging and engaging, but unnecessarily frustrFeb 15 2004Other
It's been challenging and engaging, but unnecessarily frustrating at times, too. I would not have enjoyed being an undergraduate here. A word of warning -- the MIT brand name is not always as useful as people would like to suggest. Perhaps it will get you a job, but mentioning where you go to school can, and has, ended otherwise friendly conversations. People are intimidated by the name. They shouldn't be. It's part of the (fictional) mystique.
Though this place is a lot of work,Jul 02 2003Chemical Engineering
Though this place is a lot of work, I'm about to start my 6th year and 3rd degree here (Undergraduate, 2nd grad program). If that doesn't say I like it here, I don't know what could.Make sure to get involved in something *other* than your research - a lot of the grad students here come home and turn on to the TV at night, and miss out on the really great parts of MIT and the Boston area.
Great learning environment, butJun 18 2002Geography and Geosciences
Great learning environment, but incredibly stressful. Not for the faint of heart. Be prepared for huge sleep deprivation, but also for amazing, smart, crazy, fun people.
Research Topic(s): Analysis and Modeling of Induced Seismicity in Petroleum Reservoirs
A bunch of hypeMay 30 2002Nuclear Engineering
A bunch of hype. Go to state U, learn, have fun, and be around normal people. Also, facilities (except the research ones) are on par with a small high school (not a "world class" institution that has 8,000 students at about $30K each).
I chose to go to MIT because IMay 22 2002Computer Science
I chose to go to MIT because I wanted to go somewhere I would be challenged, where I would get to work with smart people on exciting research. I also wanted to live in a vibrant and fun community. I am happy to say that both MIT and Cambridge have met my expectations.

I have met all sorts of cool people here, and there are plenty of clubs and activities to get involved with on campus. I've taken part in the anime club, the chess club, and my dorm's government. MIT also has an excellent PE program; I've taken the opportunity to learn ice skating and brushed up on my tennis skills. I like the environment at my lab as well (the Laboratory for Computer Science); it's pretty open and casual, and there is all sorts of interesting research going on in the building.The location is great as well. Boston is an incredibly compact city; it's easy to take a walking tour of the city. It's fun to just wander around and browse the streets; there are plenty of unique shops and restaurants in the area. Driving is as bad as you've heard, but public transit is great. Housing is a bit pricey and tough to find, but at least it's not as bad as the Bay Area.

The easy availability of top-notch research and accessMay 19 2002Mechanical Engineering
The easy availability of top-notch research and access to some of the most brilliant people in the world make the few drawbacks at MIT well worth it. The downside is that teaching at the graduate level does suffer because faculty are too engaged in research. Regardless, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
MIT is a research instituteApr 23 2002Chemical Engineering
MIT is a research institute. A lot of engineering courses are not well taught because the teachers are too involved with research. On the bright side, the research is top notch. Funding is never a problem and there are plenty of resources. The campus is really unpleasent but Boston is really close to Cambridge and a lot of interesting places are within walking distance.
MIT is good for nurturing your independence ofApr 17 2001Civil Engineering
MIT is good for nurturing your independence of learning and working. Everyone in my department is so independent, intense, and dedicated to his/her own work. It's hard to get to know one another at times. But it's a great experience to do your OWN research with your OWN idea with minimal guidance. However, funding is really lacking in this department, or at least in my group. Testing facilities suck too. But to be frank, we do more analytical work here. Afterall, the school is great. You can take whatever course you like to pursue your goals and interests.
The biology program at MIT is amazing- theOct 04 2000Biology
The biology program at MIT is amazing- the school as a whole can be kind of annoying to deal with, but the department shields us from much of that. Everything is set up so that you really get to know your classmates and the department treats us very well. The lab I work in is filled with very talented people and has funding from the Howard Hughes Medical institute so we essentially have a blank check for any items under $1000 and larger items are almost as simple to get (we got a $250,000 piece of equipment two years ago). We also filed a patent on the research that I am working on and we are in the process of licencing it to several companies so the research that I do will almost certainly be useful to society. Although the MIT campus is rather unnatractive, being about a mile from downtown Boston is great- only New York and possible San Francisco has more to offer than this area.
Research Topic(s): Methods for the design and selection of sequence-specific DNA binding
MIT has been theSep 08 2000Computer Science
MIT has been the most intellectually stimulating
place I have been to. I learned to think independently,define my projects and pursue my interests.
Compare MITSave MIT