StudentsReview :: Newbury College - Comments and Student Experiences

Endicott College -- Beverly, MA
Oberlin College -- Oberlin, OH
Babson College -- Babson Park, MA

Newbury College

Newbury College either works for you, or itBrightPsychology
Newbury College either works for you, or it doesn't. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. When I attended Newbury my classes were mediocre at best sadly, not worth $20k+, my residence halls that I lived in were barely comfortable, and I was disappointed with the school the more I learned about it. I couldn't move to a different university because of the fact that it was so easy to get by with A's with little to no effort. The classes weren't challenging, some of the professors didn't make sense (especially in the psychology department), and the Academic Success Center was the center for loud social gatherings; not studying. They market themselves as a safe zone accredited school, yet do not have transgender friendly housing. I had a friend who was transgender and she was denied the ability to live with her friends that were also women, even though she had been transitioning for two plus years. She was forced into having a single, which was nice, that was extremely excluded from her peers which made her extremely lonely. How can a "safe zone" school even market themselves as so? How can a college that denies a transgender woman the right to be like every other girl the right to live with whomever she chooses fly a trans flag? Not only this, but when she had to file for a single she had to fill out a disability form, how is her status as a trans student seen as a disability? As an ally, I quickly learned to detest the college and it's "values" that are only used as a marketing scheme. The food and dining hall were deplorable at best, lack of options, and there was barely any improvements whenever students would complain about the quality. The residence hall, Audobon, barely got any hot water (how is this legal?) and as a response to student constructive critics, the res life staff didn't believe the students until they marked the temperature of each shower. This college doesn't care as much about upper classmen as they do with incoming first years (probably because all of the colleges money is from incoming first years). Even their career success staff didn't have any updated psychology internships which is a joke. Internships are extremely biased with the decision of bringing them to newburys internship fair. For four years the only psychology internship at said fair was boys and girls scout, how is that even okay? Though I have said a lot of negative about this mediocre at best college, I have made the greatest of friends here which is the only positive thing from this college.
4th Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
When I attended this school, residence life wasPsychology
When I attended this school, residence life was horrible, the professors had absolutely no idea what they were doing, and the students were entitled and rude.Upon leaving Newbury College, it became apparent that, at least in psychology, I was in no way prepared for the working world. When I got my master's degree elsewhere, that was when I felt competent and prepared. Newbury was a waste of money, and if it hadn't been for the graduate program I chose at a different university, I'd be out of luck in the job market.
Newbury College is where you go to haveSuper BrilliantPsychology
Newbury College is where you go to have the life sucked out of you and your dreams dashed. Seriously. Don't do it.

The faculty members and students are truly sick people who need all the help they can get. Before I transferred, I thought this was just the way college was. Now that I've spent a good amount of time at a new school, it can't even compare. Avoid Newbury Highshchool at all costs!!! Go somewhere where you'll be challenged, where 99% of students aren't only there because they could never handle a real school, and faculty who isn't competent enough to teach elsewhere.You're welcome.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016