StudentsReview :: Newbury College - Comments and Student Experiences

Endicott College -- Beverly, MA
Oberlin College -- Oberlin, OH
Babson College -- Babson Park, MA

Newbury College

Attending this college was perhaps one the worstBrightCommunications
Attending this college was perhaps one the worst decisions I made in my young adult life. My reasons for going here was a full-ride scholarship and a best friend that decided to attend as well. During orientation, I fell in love with the small campus and beautiful surroundings. A lot of incoming students were equally as excited for our first year to start, and we all instantly connected. However, when it came to moving into Newbury everything began to change. Suddenly, I was dealing with a swarm of uneducated, crude, and unwelcoming students/faculty. One of my professors confessed that she did not know how to do MLA formatting, asking us to refer to a textbook for information. However, I learned MLA my first year of high school and was quite surprised to see more than half my Advanced English class did not even know what a comma splice was or how to properly format an essay. It was very disheartening to be treated like a child academically and harassed by other girls in dorms rooms.

I had horrible comments written on my door in pencil, gum stuck to the doorknob, and weird sexual drawings shoved under my door late at night on a daily basis. The RAs were not helpful, even though they were aware of who the girls were. When poorly confronted by an RA, the girl said that I made racial comments about her and tried to write racial things on HER door. It was all way too much to handle and I had to transfer dorms. Again, this was a very toxic environment for the entire school year.

After my first year, I decided to transfer to a university that is MUCH cheaper and much NICER than Newbury College. I am actually receiving a great education and being academically challenged by professors.PLEASE, do not attend this college if you are on the fence about it or if you were accept and are the first person in your family to go to college. PLEASE see that this is not a good or promising opportunity for you, you will be left feeling tricked out of an education and angry with the lack of resources, support, and professionalism of a proper college.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Preparedness: Reputation:
I was on faculty at Newbury for threeEnglish
I was on faculty at Newbury for three years. By every measure the college is sub par at best. I quit when I had a senior in Business Communications who had been lead to believe she could be Oprah's assistant despite the fact that this young woman could not write two complete English sentences in a row after four years in Newbury's signature program.There is no reason Newbury should exist other than to suck money from the poor.
Newbury college.Psychology
Newbury college. Where do I even begin. Currently I am in my junior year and it is my third year living on campus. The pros of Newbury are quite simple. It's a good location. Some of the teachers are great. You will make a couple of awesome friends. The facilities people work so hard to keep our campus nice and they're the nicest people you'd ever meet. The staff in the dinning hall are all extremely nice as well. Here are the cons. John mayo picks favorites and is quite an asshole. Once you get on his bad side he will not be any sort of help to you. The college does a lot of playing favorites. He isn't afraid to talk to the RAS about specific students. The RAS are the ones who kiss his ass the most. So embrace that if you'd like to be an RA. the dorms are small dirty and hot. And if you're in to sports good luck. The coaches also play favorites. Mark Thomas is the volleyball coach and quite frankly has no idea what he is doing. It seems to me the college just hires idiots to train other idiots. It's a cycle. All the athletes are a huge click and constantly get drunk and smoke weed. The coaches know this and could care less. Overall if you chose to go to Newbury your experience is different for each person. Some will enjoy it and some will want to shoot themselves. It's all about who's ass you kiss to make the four or two years easier.
Compare NewburySave Newbury