StudentsReview :: The New England School of Acupuncture - Comments and Student Experiences

New York University Graduate School of Arts and Sc -- New York, NY
Antioch New England Graduate School -- Keene, NH

The New England School of Acupuncture

I am at present a Second year studentNot so bright
I am at present a Second year student here at NESA and I can say my experience has been awful, as with a lot of my peers and there is a very high dropout rate in the first year. As previous reviewers (on other sites) have mentioned there is an absence of any ongoing qi cultivation as part of the program, what there is seems to be another class tacked onto a poorly coordinated program and a lack of understanding that cultivating the mind/body/spirit of the student should underlie all training. We will in the future be using our own energy to heal others, what is ironic is that I foresee that after this program we will know where all the points are and how to insert the needle, but our energies will not be in a state to heal others, if we don't need healing ourselves (expect your health to go down hill). This program is run by unenlightened individuals and a state legislature which require 9 science prerequisites such as physics and organic chemistry. Much of your energies in the 3 years will be consumed by irrelevancies such as these as well as compulsory business courses, (telling you nothing more than what you can google yourselves for free) research, case management over 2 semesters (one of the most unpopular and time wasting courses). The powers that be have their own ego driven agenda and are not here to support you, the school is steeped in bureaucracy with a lack of any quality control. It is coming up to the end of my Second year and only 30% of my time and energy has been spent on the passion that I came here to study, I feel that most of what I do here is a waste of time. Those that run the school must know this but do not care, it is a non-profit organization that does not need to be driven to provide what its consumers, us paying students want. There will be plenty of irrelevant courses that you will be required to take, poor teaching standards , teachers who don't care or can't teach. Inspirational teaching is very rare here and is available in one or 2 classes only. The worse thing is the lack of any leadership at this school. Choose this school if you have no choice but be warned that its approach and philosophy is not eastern but very much a western one, you may as well be training as a chiropodist. If you leave here, and become a good acupuncturist it will be in spite of not because of NESA.

Edit: not all teaching is bad, some of the teachers are truly great, but that is entirely the luck of the draw . The people that run the school and design the course are responsible for a learning environment that is joyless, spiritually depleting and very, very stressful.

Even non essential courses such as massage are examined to death with high stress levels. Your energy is all focused in learning to the test, rather than enjoying the learning experience. Really essential courses such as Orthopedics is crammed into 1 semester, whereas other schools offer it over 3 semesters. During Orthopedics class, I could never get a good view, with so many students crowded over a spot to see a needling demo. It was painfully frustrating, with one chance to practice an acupuncture point (and i mean you are lucky to get even 1 chance during class) you are then considered ready to take the practical exam!!!!!

Way too much is crammed into a class, this is at best a certification course, where you make up the shortfall in time and tuition at your own additional expense and energy. But in a 3 year course expect to take 6 subjects a week, where do you find the time???

And classes are offered once a year! so forget about postponing a class or designing a course more suited to your needs, if you miss a course you are set back by a whole year.

So you force yourself onwards!!! Those in charge pretend to listen but if they really did, I would not be forced to put my concerns on-line !!!One thing i think is important to mention here, there is a culture of blame and unaccountability (and lack of a system for improvement). I have noticed that a lot of reviews mention that those in power treat Students poorly, that is true, but I think it equally important to state that they seem to treat the teachers and administrators very poorly too, a lot of scapegoating goes on with staff just disappearing overnight with little explanation as to their departure. While those with the power to really make a difference seem to be invested in a blame game. Very sad and i cannot wait to graduate.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F
I am a student at NESA and theQuite BrightOther
I am a student at NESA and the student experience there is terrible. Not only is the school disorganized, they make it incredibly difficult when issues arise relating to administrative issues. In 3 years, I have encountered issues with lost credits, lost exam scores, lost assistantship hours, and phantom charges. Avoid if possible... if not... proceed with extreme caution.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Maintenance: A, Education Quality: F
I am a student in her late 20sNot so brightPreMed and Medical
I am a student in her late 20s with an undergraduate degree in business that wished to change fields and pursue a career in helping others. I am a third year student at NESA. Acupuncture is a wonderful field, however, from personal experience, I do not believe NESA is a school of compassion, especially the way the school treats their students. The school administration seems to be very rude at times and condescending. They are very nice at the orientations and the open houses, however, things seem to change once you become more familiar with the school and the administration. Instructors are nice but teaching assistants can be very inexperienced at times. The school has in many instances put student safety aside. Snow emergencies are usually not enough to close the school. The school puts student safety at risk as many students have to drive or take public transportation to school.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011