StudentsReview ™ :: Northeastern University - Comments and Student Experiences

Northeastern University

Co-op's taught me what skills I need to

Oct 31 2013Finance
Co-op's taught me what skills I need to develop and how much harder one is required to work in the real world than in the classroom. I had the opportunity to complete two co-ops outside of the US, which were some of the best experiences of my life. It all looks great on a resume. Employers in the Northeast are excited to higher students from Northeastern because they know they are getting smart kids who will work hard as there is less uncertainty due to the references gained through co-op. The Northeastern degree holds as much weight as Tufts and Harvard in the Boston area, I currently live with graduates from both schools fyi.
Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+

Northeastern was the perfect choice for me

Apr 09 2013Journalism
Northeastern was the perfect choice for me. I couldn't be happier here. Words cannot express how much I love it. That being said, I think it takes a certain breed of student to attend this school. Because of the co-op program, most people here tend to be intelligent, driven, and mature for their age. They have a pretty good idea of what they want out of life career-wise, and they take the initiative in order to get it.

This is not a "party school." This is not a school to attend if you want to spend four years in frat house basements, chugging beer before football games. It's a lot of fun here (we're in Boston, for god's sake), but it's a different kind of fun. It's concert venues, art museums, the theater district, ethnic restaurants, and wandering around history-steeped neighborhoods. I think it's fantastic, but it's not the "traditional American college experience." We're not isolated on some grassy, idyllic campus in the middle of nowhere. The Northeastern experience is something a little closer to the real world.

The co-op program is amazing. Absolutely unbeatable. There's a reason this school is rated #1 in career services by the Princeton Review. I have friends who've worked (as in real, full time, paid work) everywhere from the United Nations to NBC to Goldman Sachs during their time here at Northeastern. Students work all over the country and all over the world. The experience is like nothing else, and makes us far more competitive in the job search when we graduate. For people who may not feel ready to start working during undergrad, you don't have to do co-op, but almost everyone here does.

Because of its size (around 15,000 undergrads) and global scope (a TON of international students and students studying abroad), Northeastern doesn't have the time to hold your hand or coddle you. They're absolutely there to help you, but it's your job to seek it out. I think that's a good thing. It better prepares you for life. It teaches you to advocate for yourself, to communicate with your superiors, to get what you want. Northeastern is there to provide you with an enormous range of opportunities - all yours for the taking. But you have to take them.

Overall, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world for undergrad. Boston and Northeastern have become home to me. This school has helped me cultivate my interests in ways I didn't think possible. I feel like I have a direction. I know where I'm going, and Northeastern is going to help me get there.

Useful Schoolwork: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C

I transfered to Northeastern University as a Sophomore,

Apr 08 2013Economics
I transfered to Northeastern University as a Sophomore, and I absolutely love it here. The dorms and grounds are well kept and nice, almost all of the academic buildings are tech friendly and modern. The library is huge and tech friendly, all of the people who work there are very helpful and it's a great resource. All the students I have met so far are very down to earth and smart. I have not run into any "spoiled rich kids" or "radical liberals" or anything negative like that. I would characterize the student body at Northeastern as bright, hardworking, friendly, diverse, and open-minded. It's a great school, I love all my professor's and the classes are challenging and actually provide useful information. Coming to Northeastern is possibly the best decision I have ever made.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015