StudentsReview :: Regis College - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Colorado -- Denver, CO
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Fordham University -- Bronx, NY

Regis College

Regis has helped me so much!!
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Innovation: A+, Faculty Accessibility: A-
Hello! I am currently a student at RegisQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Hello! I am currently a student at Regis College. I saw some disheartening reviews on here and wanted to dispel some of what was said.

From the beginning, when applying to colleges, Regis was on my list amongst many other prestigious universities. Of course, at the time, my heart was set on BU or Bentley. But, with any school, money was a huge factor in deciding where I went because I didn't want to take out loans-- a decision I am very grateful to have made to this day because I plan to pursue a graduate degree, so the full-tuition scholarship I received from Regis has allowed me to graduate debt-free. This is where Regis excels the most- they are very good about financing your education if you proved hardworking throughout your high school career. Not many universities are like that-- having received low amounts of aid to larger institutions despite having had a 4.0 GPA in high school as well as above average SAT scores. So, I took what I could get and I haven't regretted my decision.

Arriving at Regis, I found it was a small school centered on community. The student-faculty ratio is 14-1 and I liked it. Coming from a smaller school, I knew what it was like to have your professors care about you and want you to attain academic as well as personal success. If you come to Regis, you will see what I mean with professors like Collamati, Draper, Jackson, Lane, Mollica, Opanasets, and more.

In terms of the school, we have now reached University status. We have colleges-- one for health sciences and one for social sciences. Of course, if you've done your research, you know that Regis is well-known for its nursing program having won numerous awards and having students pass their NCLEX on their first try 95% of the time. You will notice a strong focus on nursing at our university, but special attention is also paid to other majors. Before the end of this past school year, the Dean of Students actually told us that the business program was going to be upgraded and gain certain notoriety with hiring more PH.D-holding professors as well as beefing up the program, which has already been in the works with the major itself adding a more global component.

This is also happening across the board for other social sciences majors and it's only for the better. So, the people complaining that the nursing school gets all the attention is a lie-- the school does care about other majors because it wants to be diverse and not known for just one thing. To focus on just nursing won't attract other students and with the whole Master Plan going on (more on the website), it is easy to see that Regis is only trying to improve itself.

Our school hasn't been updated in a very long time- about 20 years-- until now with the newly 3-year President Hayes making amazing progress-- this coming September adding Suite-style dorms, a wide green space for a quad, and a newly renovated library with a Dunkin Donuts. Interestingly, this plan was developed through her once a month pizza with the president in our college hall foyer. So, to say that Regis students do not have a voice is wrong and clearly these students do not attempt to involve themselves in Regis life altogether.

With any school, the experience is what you make of it. If you decide to stay in your dorm and not participate or find ways to entertain yourself, you'll have a negative attitude towards your college experience. I've seen it with friends I have that attended BU or UMASS. They decided just to go to class and NOT engage and let me tell you, that is the first mistake to make. Arriving at Regis freshman year with a goal of breaking through my shyness to meet other people was the best thing I did. It's easy to say hi and meet people your freshman year, so do it! Just remember that not everyone will be your friend-- you will find your niche like I did. It may take a few tries like with anything, but be open to new experiences-- you only get to do college once, so join the clubs you want and take fun electives.

Do something that will challenge you and don't let people bring you down-- It is a great accomplishment that you even get to go to college and think of all those people who couldn't because they couldn't afford it. Regis may not be a worldwide recognizable name like Harvard, but Regis gives you purpose, helps mould you into an adult, and will allow you to find employment that exceeds that of a HS Diploma.

If you look at most of the CEOs of large companies, they didn't go to brand name schools-- they went to state schools or other obscure names and Bill Gates didn't even finish college. So, don't let school names bother you because Regis provides a home away from home. It's what you make of it/- the negativity comes from one or two bad experiences, but that doesn't compromise an entirety of four years.

Yes, the food isn't as variable as I would personally like, but Student Government is always working on that and have made strides. If you don't like something, then change it-- have your voice heard. As you can see, changes are welcomed and Regis doing a great job of doing that.

Don't let reviews discourage you! People say negative things because of a few bad experiences-- if the food doesn't taste good at a restaurant or the service was off one time, people write a review. But others who experience the same thing, having gone to that same restaurant multiple times will understand-- it was an off-day.

It's how things are perceived and like I said, it's what you make of it. You have one life to live, so make it good!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
I attended Regis / Lawrence Memorial Hospital SchoolNot so brightNursing
I attended Regis / Lawrence Memorial Hospital School of Nursing Program in the late 1990s. NCLEX pass rate was near 100% - one of the highest in the state. I passed the boards on my first attempt. The undergrad classes & the clinical placements prepared me thoroughly for the boards and for my work as a nurse. Even to this day there are things that I learned in class that I remember and apply to the work setting. I've returned for the MSN program which I find challenging. It appropriately integrates my current education with my work experience. Teachers are very experienced and love their work in and out of the classroom. Students who live on campus seem to be nice kids - the student body is much more diversified than it was 15 years ago. Not a bad thing, this is what the world is like today, we are living in an international economy. It's great to see such nice and polite young men on campus. These young men, many of them minorities are nice kids and if you take the time to talk with them you'll see that. The school seems to be trying to achieve a balance of students. E-mail communication has improved greatly. The only area that could use improvement is the communication between certain individuals in the nursing department who do admittedly "do not check or reply to e-mails often". This is not acceptable in 2011. This needs to change. I hope that Regis adapts however it needs to in order to stay alive!
5th Year Female -- Class 2014