StudentsReview :: Simmons College - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA
Northeastern Illinois University -- Chicago, IL

Simmons College

I am a transfer student who previously attended

Dec 21 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I am a transfer student who previously attended community college. Overall I really love the school. The course work is challenging but no impossible and my professors are overall very friendly and accessible. I have had good luck making friends. The students here are mostly very friendly and open minded. My big problem has been with reslife. My room is not impossibly small but not big and ha a very small closet. After my first roommate left I went through weeks of waiting for them to give me a new one. They were horrible about staying in touch and letting me know what was going on; it was a nightmare. Finally get a new one and she was horrible. My sweetheart of an R.A tried her best to help me but res life did not care about my problem.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: C+

There has been a lot of negative opinions/experiences

Nov 06 2013Communications
There has been a lot of negative opinions/experiences regarding this school so I figured I would offer my positive one.

Regarding the school as a whole I must say it is quite challenging classes aimed to push us to our best capabilities. I have actually learned a lot attending Simmons and if you are willing to work hard, you will do fine. Given there are some professors who have better teaching strategies and better attitudes towards teaching than others but I have not had one professor that I have absolutely disliked.

What I personally enjoy about the school is that the dorms are for the most part quiet and centered around studying. This is a nice factor because people are not screaming in the halls 27/4 or having late night parties until all hours of the night so if you want a party school this is not your place. That said, you have to go out to find a party. It is Boston--this city is alive until all hours of the night and there are nearly 10 colleges surrounding this area that usually have parties. So you can separate your "party life" from your "study life".

Unlike most colleges and universities that I looked at, Simmons is in the middle of a lot of action it is not in the middle of no where. They keep the campus looking beautiful and you really can't beat the library here--so much so people from all the surrounding colleges come to use it. For the majority the people here are quite friendly and approachable and the dining staff is incredibly friendly. Events happen every so often but they do not always appeal to everyone. My best advice: Get involved and work hard.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Innovation: A+, University Resource Use: B+

Let me start by saying that not everyone's

Nov 04 2013Nursing
Let me start by saying that not everyone's experience will be the same and some people love it here. But I've had nothing but bad experiences since the day I arrived here at Simmons. They tried forcing two people to live in a room that was meant for one person and still would be ridiculously small for ONE person to live in, let alone two. They then put me in a bigger room but my roommate was absolutely horrible, I felt uncomfortable in my own room, she tried telling me when to come back to the room and when to go to bed, and it just goes on. I told res life and I had to go through a process of multiple meetings, my RA told me I would have to 'deal with it and make it work' for at least another 2 weeks to a month. I went to the person in charge of res life basically in tears and she literally seemed to not care or be the least bit concerned at all. The majority of the faculty here whom I have met have been snooty and rude. I was asking me advisor about loans and she literally said yeah, Simmons is expensive and not everyone can afford the opportunity or are lucky enough to go here and just kept going on making me feel incompetent. My nursing classes each have about 60 students in them which i absolutely hate, my teachers are rude and mean, one even admits to it, and the other is completely condescending. The grading and assignments are not fair or truly show your knowledge whatsoever. I transferred here to Simmons, and at my previous school my teachers were amazing and took the time to literally get to know every one of their students personally, they taught very well and I learned a lot there. I had all A's and a 4.0 GPA for the year at my previous school; here at Simmons I have a A, two low B's. and a C. I've never earned anything less than a B+ ever. I'm working my ass off at this school, am miserable all the time, and am getting these type of grades because the teaching styles and attitude of the teachers here are absolutely horrible. I've only been here for a semester and I'm already transferring, I'm miserable all the time, and always want to go home. And just to let you know its not like I'm one of the girls thats always alone or in her room, I have plenty of friends here and we go out on the weekends and stuff, but this school is so bad that it literally doesn't even matter or help at all. The only time I'm happy here is when I'm off campus trying to have some fun. Oh yeah, this school is also insanely boring, zero social life on campus, barely any events at all, the only way to have fun is to go to other schools somewhere else or spend a bunch of money to do things. I live in a small town and I love Boston and was excited to go to school here but after this experience and finding out that the only way to have fun was by having a ton of spending money or spending a bunch on a cab to go to another school, I'd rather be back at my old school in the smaller town with the amazing teachers, and if they have my major I'd go back there in a heartbeat. Lastly, if you live close and are able to go home on weekends that you want to maybe you'll like Simmons because you'd be able to get away some times, but I live over 4 hours away and I'm stuck here constantly. If you're looking for a close-knit school, with nice, friendly, helpful teachers and faculty Simmons is not the place for you. And the tuition is crazy expensive, which i would be fine with if it was worth it but Simmons is truly not worth the amount of tuition in any way whatsoever.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016