StudentsReview :: Bard College Simon's Rock - Comments and Student Experiences

Vassar College -- Poughkeepsie, NY
Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, NY
Southern New Hampshire University/New Hampshire College -- Manchester, NH

Simon's Rock is a great place if youQuite BrightUndecided
Simon's Rock is a great place if you go for the right reasons. If you are looking for a strong liberal arts education and learning both in and out of the classroom, this is the place for you. You will grow so much as a person here, and become more articulate and sound in your views. You will be exposed to a diverse population with many different background experiences, and your peers will support you and inspire you. As this is a non-traditional college (ie you don't need a high school diploma to go here), you should be sure to do the research on the requirements for the transfer schools you are interested in (if you are planning on transferring after your AA). I wish I had been given more information and guidance on transferring from here, it is not as easy as it is claimed to be on the website. As for the staff, they are wonderful, unique individuals whom you will learn a lot from, and they are also very approachable and willing to learn from you. In particular, your skills as a writer will increase during your time here (I hope you enjoy writing,) because even math classes have a large writing component. This school is especially great for those just beginning college, because the workload and skill set you acquire will prepare you for other schools. Obviously, it is a small institution, so there are not that many classes available to take, especially in upper-level topics, which is a reason to transfer after the AA. (I am currently frustrated at the lack of biology courses, specifically there is no marine biology course!) In terms of extracurriculars and night life, there is not much. Clubs tend to die out and everything in town closes quite early. However, you will not be bored, because most of your time will be dedicated to your classes. In my free time, I just hang out with friends around campus. The people you meet here are a lot of fun and a great source of entertainment. (Also, the surrounding area is beautiful, I enjoy running every chance I get). The campus is very inclusive and you will not have any trouble fitting in: diversity is celebrated here. In conclusion, the time you spend here can be life-changing in the best way possible, as long as you know what you want out of the experience and are willing to work for it. Take the fullest advantage of all the resources available to you here, and never be afraid to ask for help.
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C
Simon's Rock is reallyQuite BrightPolitical Science
Simon's Rock is really a place like no other. Not only are our academics exceptional (check that Princeton Review rating), but the faculty and staff that Simon's Rock draws are a testament to the type of community that the school fosters.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B+
Simon's Rock is exactly what I needed andQuite BrightPsychology
Simon's Rock is exactly what I needed and I'm so glad I go here. I was so unmotivated and burnt out in high school, Simon's Rock reminded me how much I actually love learning. I actually enjoy doing my work now! In high school it was literally unbearable for me but now I find it so interesting. The friends I've made here also really value learning and we often talk about the cool things were learning and discuss ideas outside of class. The cool thing too is that if you don't understand something, or need help in a certain area, there are so many people here that can help you. Each class has an assigned tutor that you can email or meet with for help. All professors also have office hours you can go to and they are also super reachable by email. Here you can really gain a personal connection with teachers since the classes are so small (rarely more than 20) and everyone is addressed on a first name basis. If you need help with organization you can get one on one help with that too. I really could not say more good about it here! I feel academically challenged and also supported by the community. There are so many interesting classes. The concentrations offered here require less credits than most majors which allows you to explore lots of different areas. That was really useful for me since I drastically changed my mind about the major I wanted to pursue. It was really great to be allowed (and even encouraged!) to take that wiggle room. And if we don't have the exact concentration you are interested in, you have the option to design your own too. I'm just so happy to be here!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018