StudentsReview :: Stonehill College - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI

Stonehill College

Let me start off by saying Stonehill is

May 08 2014Psychology
Let me start off by saying Stonehill is incredibly challenging. Almost too challenging. A lot of my professors have PhD's, which is great- but a lot of the time I feel like I have been treated like I have a PhD too. This is a good thing for some, but for me, Stonehill has been incredibly challenging and a lot of work- I do understand that's what college is about, though.

Many of my professors have been helpful and accessible and easy to talk to- however there have been some that have been absolutely out of their minds and impossible to talk to and just overall terrible quality professors.

The people here (particularly girls) are terrible. They are mean, judgmental, close minded and cliquey. Members of sports team stick with people within their sports teams and do not talk to many people outside of it. Party scene is really what you make of it- if you want to party, you will find a party. If not, you will find people who don't want to party.

The campus itself is beautiful, and the school has a great reputation. However, it is definitely incredibly overpriced and unreasonable in many aspects. There is little to know diversity, although Stonehill tries so hard to hide this. I would not recommend anyone come to this school. I truly regret my decision to come here and have spent most of my college career thus far resentful through the negative experiences I have had here. I would never encourage anyone to come here unless they fit into the snobby, rich, rude stereotype.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A, Individual Value: C

The Stonehill drinking policies are way too strict

Jan 17 2014Communications
The Stonehill drinking policies are way too strict. They treat you like children and seem to enjoy getting you in trouble. It's to the point where people are too scared of getting in trouble, so they take 10 shots in there room and are transported. Instead of being so harsh, they should be creating an open and safe environment. We are college students and adults, not children who need a time-out. Don't go here if you enjoy having fun.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

Ok, let me just start off by saying

Apr 06 2014Accounting
Ok, let me just start off by saying that my freshman year (what I am currently finishing) has been a roller coaster of emotions. I went from being the biggest Stonehill supporter, to hating it, and now I'm back somewhere in between the two extremes. Looking back maybe I had too many expectations for my college, but to be fair I think everyone has the right to be enthusiastic about what college they chose. It's a big deal.

Anywho, I remember going to the Accepted Students Day here in April, and this weekend marks the same date. This school was never very high on my list, but it was this weekend where I finally decided that I was going to come here. And it was great, orientation was a blast and I was feeling really good about myself. I got a job on campus with some really awesome people and I got accepted to the H.O.P.E. program ( a traveling community service opportunity). So things were going great. But then October and November came around and I started to loose the buzz that was keeping me up.

What other comments on this website say about this college are very true. The best way I can define this school is High School 2.0. The academics are superb, and the campus is one of the most beautiful campuses I have ever been on. BUT THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO, it doesn't matter if its the weekday or the weekend, as a freshman without a car this place gets old quick. It doesn't help that I live 5 hours away out of state, and I don't really have the option to go home like 90% of this campus can. Which hurts doubly because I am in a committed relationship and that sucks just by itself. So what is there to do you say. The only way off campus is an extremely unreliably shuttle service that is driven by maniacs, and that brings you to the mall or the Quincy Adams T stop to go into Boston and that is it. I can't even compare my experiences here at Stonehill to the ones I've had visiting friends in Boston ( its just so much better there). Also, I'd like to address the fact that from the months between November and the end of March this campus is Dead. I still to this day have no clue as to where everybody goes, but if you see more than 10 people on the quad in the winter something must be up. Because either everyone is in their room, or they left campus for the weekend. But then the first sunny day in April everyone comes back again.

Now let's talk about the people... unfortunately the reviews are spot on here too. So many people here belong in the "fake" category it makes me sick. Uggs and yoga pants every day. "Clonehill" is an appropriate description of this place. Also, about 1/3 of the student body are athletes, which is good if you are an athlete, but they all stick to themselves and get shitfaced. Here at Stonehill there is so little school spirit it hurts. Our sports teams such as track, basketball, hockey,and football all went very far in their divisions, yet there is never a huge supporting crowd. Of course it would be wrong just to say everyone here is stuck up and closed minded, but i'd say it's a 50/50 split, which is bad when there's only 2400 students.

On top of these things, the administration is very disconnected from the student body. They have been trying to change a lot of the policies here without any regard to what we think. The last time I felt any effort from the administration to make the students happy was during orientation. So the first day was also the last day... not very comforting. All of this compounded onto life stress leading to myself becoming very depressed, to the point where I filled out multiple transfer applications. But I am still here, mostly because I have an amazing roommate and a few really close friends that have been there for me, and also I am planning on studying abroad Junior year. So in the end I cannot wholeheartedly advise anyone to come to Stonehill, but I can't wholeheartedly caution you to stay away either. College is after all what you make of it, and I know there are plenty of people here that are having the time of their life. I too have been able to preserver through some really tough decisions, and I feel confident enough in myself to stay. But what I can say is that this college makes it A LOT harder to have fun than it really should.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017