StudentsReview :: Suffolk University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

Suffolk University

I hate my life because of Suffolk University

Jul 22 2014Philosophy
I hate my life because of Suffolk University. I commute from a suburb outside Boston, which is good and bad. It's good because I don't have to live on campus and pay 15k a year for a crappy dorm on a campus that has an essence of misery and coldness. People don't smile much here. There's always a crowd of foreign students chain smoking outside the business school, looking unapproachable and wearing Louis Vuitton everything. If you are a girl, forget dating. Most of the guys are full of themselves and just want to get drunk on the weekends. Your only chance of a relationship is to date someone who does not go to Suffolk. Academically, it is good and most people do get jobs after graduation in their fields very easily if they survive the years of drudgery. The T(public transit) is really gross and during rush hour it is crowded and sweaty. If you don't like trees or flowers or nature, this is the place for you because you will be surrounded by concrete. Besides that, if you study Applied Legal Studies, you have access to the law library which is really nice. Otherwise, its isolating and many people will say the same thing.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: F

This is not the school you would want

Mar 30 2014Business - Management and Administration
This is not the school you would want to attend to if you so much desire a memorable and valuable college experience. The professors are good if you chose the right ones, there are some really good professors and I do find myself enjoying few of my classes, but whether all that is worth going to this university - no. I guess that happens because the school is right in the middle of the city of Boston, and since the student body has the city as their campus, not many choose to be involved in the actual school activities and clubs, hence the reason to why there is absolutely no school spirit or community. Even if I did grow over the years, I don't feel that I have been challenged to my full potential academically and as a person. I used to be cheerful and optimistic. But now, most days is like an emotional battle to not break down mid-semester due to loneliness and depression. If only I had known, I would not have attended this school.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

So I chose Suffolk because I could not

Apr 28 2014Accounting
So I chose Suffolk because I could not afford any other school. I also chose it because I would commute from home to school. This was the worst mistake a person can make. Suffolk is a commuter school. Its true that 80% of the students are commuters, thus its difficult to find matching time to see people. I would strongly suggest you go to Suffolk if you are not very social, or looking to have a normal college experience because Suffolk does not offer that. I am being completley honest. I feel as though Suffolk is a great school in general because it has so many oppertunities to network with firms, companies jobs and get you prepared for the future. However, this being said, this is the only good thing about Suffolk. Going to college is supposed to be the 4 best years of your life, where you make memories that you will look back in your life and treasure. Yes, your career is important, however, while in college, at least for the 3 years, you should focus on being a college student and have a balance in your life between your social life, studies and jobs.

I took a half an hour bus, and a half an hour train to get to Suffolk, which was the worst experience I have ever dealt with in my entire life. I came to school early for my 8ams both semester, which I STRONGLY do not recomend. 8ams will ruin your whole day, especially if you are going to commute. Just do not for your well-being do it. The MBTA is a scary and creepy place at night, if you are coming back from a party. There are homeless, drunks, crazy, drugged, and all kinds of people just hanging out in the MBTA. They can follow you home and just do crazy things. Always ask a guy friend if your a girl to walk you to the station or to the car because girls have been assulted and raped.

The 1st semester was the worst because its really hard to make friends, even if you are social. I would always make the first move and ask people their name and introduce myself in class. People are just as scared as you, but that is why it sometimes sucks, because nobody will make the first move and just say HI. Prepare yourself to go through emotional rollacosters like hell.

You WILL feel alone, and like nobody cares. Everyone of my friends now says that first semester was the lonliest time of their life. 2nd semester will be better, I promise. You will make friends 2nd semester, just be confident and push yourself to say hi to people you have seen in your classes and keep asking questions to get to know the person.

The one thing you need to know how to keep a friend, is to say these words, 'Here, let me add you on facebook. Oh and let me get your number so we can stay in touch." This works like gold. Do not ask people, instead make it so that it is a statement that you want to keep in touch and be friends with them.

Sign up for every club and give them your email. Trust me, do this and you will have somewhat of a "suffolk social life' because clubs have events that you can go to and meet people who are all there to have fun and make new friends. THIS IS KEY. I signed up for a club that I had no interest in whatsoever, however, that club turned out to be great because it gave me a chance to go to PENN and make some good friends on bus rides, while engaging in something that is not eating.

Speaking of eating, if you are under 21, or do not have a fake ID, and you do not have a dorm, the only reason you will be in Boston will be because, you are going to classes, library to do work or study, the gym( Rock and Fitness or Planet Fitness), or eat. You will always eat with your friends in Boston because there is nothing else to do, if you are just looking to hang out. This is why creating closeness with people is a struggle. There is nowhere really to just hang out as college students because Suffolk DOES NOT HAVE A CAMPUS. It is in the middle of the city, thus the only school you are going to, is in 4 buildings,- 73 (Library), Fenton(math, economics philosophy classes), Sawyer Buisness School(English-y classes with readings) or Donahue (mostly biology, science classes).

I made friends in other colleges, and thus slept over their dorm on the weekend to have the social aspect of college. I had an internship, and an on-campus job.

Suffolk offers you the chance to man up and face reality and because of this, I have grown a lot and have seen so many different kinds of people in the city.

Everyone told me to keep up myy GPA 1st year and I was confident I was going to, but being busy with life, I didnt do as well as I had hoped. Make sure that while being in Boston is a crazy hecktic life, you find the peace and quiet you need for at least 2 hours a day to read and do homework. This is key in doing a good job in your classes. Dedicate the time, and you will see good grades.

In conclusion, at first I hated Suffolk because it never gave me the normal college experience that I had always dreamed of. I hated that I felt lonley all the time. But, you will grow and learn that this is the real world and you will be prepared to be pushed to your limits and survive. BTW, make sure you email the professor at least once a week to ask just a random question, doesnt matter if you know it already, just so the professor knows your name, and is more considerate of you because it shows you are willing to learn.

I would chose a different school, but if you decide to go here, I wish you the best of luck.

Surrounding City: A+, Social Life: C-