StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts - Boston - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

The University of Massachusetts - Boston

Total Grad Surveys 5
Females 4
Males 1
Avg years at University 1.2
Research Quality B (6.8)
Research Availability C (4.8)
Research Funding B+ (7.7)
Graduate Politics B+ (7.4)
Not Errand Runners A+ (10.0)
Degree Completion A (9.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] C (4.3)
Sufficient Pay C (4.3)
Competitiveness B (6.8)
Education Quality C (4.4)
Faculty Accessibility C (4.4)
Useful Research B- (6.5)
"Individual" treatment F (0.8)
Friendliness F (0.8)
Safety F (0.8)
Campus Beauty D (2.0)
Campus Maintenance C (4.3)
University Spending C- (3.5)
Extracurriculars F (0.8)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.3)
Surrounding City A+ (9.6)
Social Life/ Environment F (0.8)
ExtracurricularsF
Not Errand RunnersA+
Terrible program with minimalOct 05 2019Nursing
Terrible program with minimal clinical presence outside of Mass. They simply can not make it happen and you waste time and money. Don't waste your time with this program.
The administration is dreadfulMar 15 2010Accounting
The administration is dreadful. Dealing with both the financial aid office and the bursars office are two of the most painful things in this world.Their parking is also a rip off.
The greatest mistake of my life was toFeb 18 2009Linguistics
The greatest mistake of my life was to enroll in the University of Massachusetts, Boston’s Applied Linguistics Online MA program.

Two weeks after receiving a general e-mail welcoming students to the program, I e-mailed the program coordinator, Elizabeth Cobb, regarding transfer credits I sought to have evaluated (end of May 2008). Little did I know that this would turn into Odyessian task that would span over six months of constant inquiry. Finally, as the fall semester was about to end in three weeks (mid November 2008), I contacted the Program Director, Dr. Panagiota Gounari. Dr. Gounari said that this matter had “slipped through the cracks.” Due to her upcoming pre-tenure sabbatical. Bear in mind, that my schedule had been previously been changed to accommodate this potential transfer credits by the coordinator. Thus, while consistently asked for information regarding transfer credits for over six months, in the end I was BEHIND my cohort due to these unwarranted schedule changes.

Please do not be bamboozled by the program’s webpage—this was not a friendly, professional means to receive your MA while working overseas, as many in the ESL profession do. Consider:

-In terms of enrolling and registering students for classes the program was always late. The only silver lining was that they waived their own self-induced late fees. One course even began two weeks late—students, of course, were informed week after the start date.

-You will not receive individual advising though they advertise this frequently in e-mails.
- Online course offerings are far more limited than those at the university. Of the three professors I had, two were knowledgeable professors but clearly more devoted to their offline students than their online students. One professor didn’t even bother to read our weekly responses. Grading in that class was arbitrary. Many of these professors are not even in the state of MA which is fine for online program but consider there is little monitoring or repercussions for poor performance. I suspect many of these professors were seeking additional employment due to the uncertain economic times.

-As I was placed (without permission) into two cohorts, I got to see first and second year students. The students in my cohort were friendly, talented, and a diverse bunch while as the second years were extremely apathetic and anti-intellectual.

I only recommend this program to those in the philanthropic position to “donate” your tuition to pre-tenure sabbaticals.

One of the greatest mistakes of my lifeFeb 18 2009Linguistics
One of the greatest mistakes of my life was to enroll as a graduate student in the Applied Linguistics MA Online program at the University of Massachusetts, Boston.

Two weeks after receiving a mass welcome e-mail, I inquired about transferring credits from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County(end of May 2008). For over six months of continuous inquiry neither the program coordinator or the director supplied me an answer. I only received an answer four weeks before the fall semester ended, in which I was chided and insulted by the Program Director, Dr. Panagiota Gounari (mid November 2008). I was informed that my inquiry "had fallen between the cracks" due to her upcoming pretenure sabbatical. Bear in mind, this was after the program coordinator had changed my fall semester schedule for potential transfer credits which should have been reviewed prior to the semester start. I took my grievance to the highest level in the university system but received only apologies, not the the reimbursement of tuition. If I continued with the program, ironically I would be behind my cohort for inquiring about transfer credits.

Please do not be bamboozled by the program's homepage.
-The program makes little effort to contact you. They will dismiss your questions either by ignoring your questions or sending you outdated links.

-If you are overseas (I was working in South Korea at the time), your materials (handbook, information, etc) will not be sent but magically your bills will. Fancy that.

-There was mass disorganization. The program was frequently late in enrolling and registering students for classes. Luckily, they did manage to make sure late fees did not apply. This also applies to courses--one course was two weeks late in commencing (students were not informed of this until after the first day of classes.)

-Most of my actual professors were approachable but were largely ignorant of the actual machinations of the program. Many of the online professors do not teach at UMAB. I *strongly* suspect they view this online program as a way to supplement their income in this current economic climate. One professor did not even read our discussion posts. The other two were clearly intelligent professionals but overwhelmed with their offline academic responsibilties to devote sufficient guidance to online students.

I recommend this program only if you are a philanthropist in the position to "donate" money for pre-tenure sabbaticals.

This is my first year at Umass BostonOct 20 2008Psychology
This is my first year at Umass Boston and I will admit, I think I will get a good education here, but the social life is horrible. The people are generally apathetic, rude and cold toward one another. Many of the professors are also rude and absorbed in their own projects. They always seem to be too busy to help us when we need it. I would not come back here if I had the choice. I am actually thinking of transferring.
Compare UMB/UMass-BostonSave UMB/UMass-Boston