StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Massachusetts Lowell - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

The University of Massachusetts Lowell

As I finish my freshman year all I

Apr 10 2014Chemistry
As I finish my freshman year all I can say is WOW. My year here has been beyond my expectations. I went here because they gave me the most $$. I will stay here because the educational experience is phenomenal! As a member of the Honors College I am getting everything I had hoped I would out of this school. Great friends, awesome professors and a first class education. I lived in the Honors House this year and next year I will be in the University Suites. I joined a sorority and they have become the best friends, study buddies, tour guides I could ask for. UML does not have sorority houses so students live in the dorms. Me and 5 of my sisters will be rooming in a person suite next year. All I can say is UMass Lowell has exceeded my expectations and I will not be transferring anywhere. I AM HOME!!
Extracurricular Activities: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-

My first semester here, and I'm not that

Mar 03 2014Sociology
My first semester here, and I'm not that impressed. I live in the dorms, which is honestly boring because nothing happens and most people go home. You kind of have to put yourself out there to make friends, people here kind of keep to themselves. There is a lot of diversity, so I'm sure if you're ethnic, you'll find friends.The food here is average at best, but the kitchen staff are nice. Unless you're an alcoholic or smoke weed, expect to find yourself alone in your room studying most of the time. The education here is good, but if you're a Humanities major like me, it's kind of basic. But I here all the other programs are decent or excellent. Prepare to be cold, ALL THE TIME. East campus is right down the street from a river. Dress warm. The faculty in my department are nice, I can't say anything about the others. The physical campuses are ugly, right in the middle of the ghetto. Needless to say, it's not the best school in the world, but not the worst. I'm transferring next year. If you're a humanities or social sciences major, I would go somewhere else.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Friendliness: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

I'm finally gonna graduate after 4 years here

Feb 12 2014Finance
I'm finally gonna graduate after 4 years here. Oh my has this school changed. Growing up by UMass Lowell, I always thought this school was a joke academically. I was wrong. I came here because they gave me the most money compared to Amherst, BU, and UNH who basically gave me nothing, so it was a easy choice there since they are all in the same accreditation in their business programs. The gen eds are all a joke. If you talk to your classmates you'll know what classes to take for the easy As.

My point of view is from the Manning School of Business.
The professors here are world class educators and business people. They have elite experience in their field and NEVER go by the book in their lectures. They teach you relevant things that you'll need to know in order to become successful, which is awesome. Class difficulty when you get into your Junior and Senior years are difficult. I dueled in Accounting/Corporate Finance and it was really tough. I had to work hard for my grades. I have friends studying at BU, NEU, UNH, Amherst, etc, that are all taking similar classes to me, and we help eachother out on our assignments on occasion, and I can honestly say that we're all at the same level. Which is great. Imagine saving 40k a year going to a bargain school?

Campus isn't safe at all though. I get alerts about stabbings every month. That's mainly because you have drunk idiots walking around the ghetto areas by themselves late at night. It's warranted. The campus isn't to appealing but don't let that stop you from coming. Education is top notch, I can't emphasize that enough.

As far as social life goes, I grew up in the area. So I usually hang out with my friends that I grew up with that are still around. I have met plenty of people here, but since I don't dorm, I don't hang out with them a lot, except for occasional parties. Dorming is a must if you want the full experience. It's extremely hard to meet people outside of your major and classes if you commute. There are always a few parties around. I've been to a couple. They are mediocre. But it is what it is. I usually drive to other schools for parties. I always see UMass Lowell decals when I go to other schools on the weekends, enough said. If you're 21, you'll stay in Lowell. They have pretty good bars downtown for college kids.

I have had a great experience here. Don't let the negative reviews stop you from coming here. It really is a good school academically. Their business program is tough. Engineering is world class, and the girls I know in Nursing say its tough too.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014