StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts Lowell - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Massachusetts Amherst -- Amherst, MA

The University of Massachusetts Lowell

Dec 18 2014Chemical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a transfer student in chemical engineering with a sub-emphasis in bioengineering. I am VERY pleasantly surprised at the quality of this institution. I came from a biochemistry background at a top-40 school, believing that UM-Lowell would have a less rigorous program. I found this was not the case at all. Classes are smaller and professors are more understandable and more approachable in and out of class. In my first semester I was able to secure an on-campus research opportunity with a professor in my major. I am now an Honors Scholar and am pursuing a minor in Biomedical Engineering and Biotechology, and I am also strongly considering pursuing the BS/MS program. I came to UMass Lowell partly because of the terrific financial aid they offered (compared to all the other public schools in the area including Amherst) and as a result I will be graduating very well prepared in my field with significantly less debt. This school's reputation is growing quickly, both in rankings and among industry professionals, and deservedly so, because it has consistently exceeded my expectations. The rec center and outdoor programs are also exceptional. There are a few parties if that's what your looking for, but highly focused students will reap the most benefits from their UML education.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C-
Dec 16 2014Nursing
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a sophomore in the nursing program. My experience here has been incredible. I am living in a dorm with other nursing students and we help each other out. We study together and help each other with homework assignments. We also let each other know which professors to take and which to avoid. On weekends me and a few of my dorm-mates either hang out in our room or occasionally go to a frat party. I know most frat parties are considered gross but the brothers at Sig Tau can throw a mean but civilized party. I was hesitant about attending UMass Lowell but now I am all in! I really do love it here. Love the professors, the students and the coursework. I think I made the right decision!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: F
Dec 03 2014Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I will be transferring to Umass Amherst in the Spring and just wanted to describe my experience here at Lowell. Firstly I have only been here a semester. The food is bad, the night life is bad, there is a large gap in between many of the student's academic prowess, or basically some kids are really smart and then you wonder how many others got in. During the weekend the school is empty because many people commute. The odd thing is (odd to me anyway) that I know many people have enjoyed their time here. Well I don't know how. To each their own, but I would not recommend this school to anyone.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018