StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth

UMass Dartmouth is the worst school in all

Jan 15 2014English
UMass Dartmouth is the worst school in all of southeastern Mass. The college is crumbling; it's literally falling apart. Buildings leak, linoleum is lifting off the floors, desks are broken. It's a disaster.

There is no academic rigor at the school, especially in the English department and program. They literally let ANYONE enroll and push them along until they drop out or flunk out in higher level courses.

Faculty is more than 80% part timers who are working at other schools or jobs because they don't hire full timers. The full timers they do hire are not interested in student success, only their own retirement.

The school is tired and lacking direction. Students can get a much better education and experience if they drive 30 minutes north to Bridgewater State University. I've studied at both and BSU is leaps and bounds ahead of UMD.UMD will take your money and leave you floundering. I wish I had never gone there.

Preparedness: F Reputation: F

UMass Dartmouth is definitely what you make out

Dec 18 2013Finance
UMass Dartmouth is definitely what you make out of it. At the beginning I hated it, but then I saw how unlike big schools, UMD is the perfect size. You won't feel like a number, but it is not extremely small either. The professor of my biggest lecture knows me and says hi every time she sees me. I feel like it is easy to make connections with the faculty.

The campus is not that beautiful, but setting your priorities to how pretty the campus is when deciding what college to go to, is probably not the best idea.

Freshman dorms are being renovated, so do your homework and pick the ones that are already renovated. They are extremely nice compared to the ones that are not!

The food is terrible, but they try their best to improve it.
Overall, UMD improves all the time. The chancellor wants to improve the school for everybody's experience. It is not perfect, but we do NOT live in a utopian society and nothing is perfect. It is a cheap school and you can get a great education if you pick the right professors. If you can go to your dream school go ahead, but if not UMD is a good back-up!

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Individual Value: A+, Campus Maintenance: C-

- So far, my 2 years at UMass Dartmouth under an Electrical

Mar 30 2013Electrical Engineering
- So far, my 2 years at UMass Dartmouth under an Electrical Engineering major have been more than satisfactory. To give you an idea of the difficulty of the classes in general, the material of 2nd-semester sophomore year has had me questioning whether or not I made the right decision of majors. However, while the work is certainly difficult, it's never impossible, and I've found that most of the professors that I've had are very willing to answer questions, or at least are very helpful in pointing you in the right direction so that you can answer your own questions on your own with their guidance. To date, I haven't had a professor that I've truly regretted taking, and even my least favorite teachers were only my least favorite because I didn't enjoy the material they were teaching, rather than for any individual characteristic of their own.

- Besides the classes, I actually really like Dartmouth's campus as well. The buildings themselves are pretty damn ugly to be honest, but then again, if you make your choice of any college based on what it looks like alone, you probably have your priorities in the wrong place anyways. The sports facilities, fields, and gyms are pretty nice, although the work-out room is always overcrowded. I understand the discontent with the food services that have been made known in some of the other comments on this website, since the food isn't amazing and the operating times are just as impressive, but the food provider company is extremely receptive to criticisms and suggestions, so there's no complaint there either. - All of that being said, I would happily recommend UMass Dartmouth to another (or at least to those wanting to attend the school for Electrical Engineering).

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015