StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth

A surprisingly good educationQuite BrightFinance
A surprisingly good education - I was admitted to UMass Dartmouth only after attending BU's Honor Program, and UMD had superior faculty and educational resources.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C
The students are immature and still living inArt & Design Department
The students are immature and still living in their High School bubble. The housing situation for freshman needs to be completely renovated. The food is ok. The students are big Partiers. I recommend moving off campus if you are a responsible young adult.

They have a decent gym with some cool classes - kickboxing Zumba Pilates yoga etc.
The classes were intriguing. My freshman and sophomore years were not as challenging because I went to an excellent High School. I sailed through the classes. The minimal amount of work was required. The core material for my degree was challenging. It definitely made me think outside the box.

The teachers...The Math teachers I had were terrible. They did not break down or explain anything. The English and history teachers made the classes entertaining, informative and challenging at times. The science class I had to take was great. it was basically science for people who couldn't do science. The teacher was brilliant but down to earth. He was fair. For my degree classes some of the teachers were full of themselves. They also taught at other Ivy League schools in the area. So I did get a great education at a cheaper price. They definitely picked their favorites. Some of the teachers actually cared about how the students were doing. They could be found in their office when they said they were supposed to be there. If you hit a problem, they were there to help.

Most of the teachers were Democrats as was most of the campus. So watch yourself if you're Republican and it is it election year. They are also open to all faiths and religions which is great! until I came across a satanic cult. For billing they really truly need to think over that whole situation because it's complicated and confusing.

I'm a senior at this school now andQuite BrightArt & Design Department
I'm a senior at this school now and I'm going to be very honest of what I think of this school. Bottom line is that this is a place to go for an education, not a strong social life.

I was in the art department and it was great. However I've heard very differently for the other departments (though I found that the professors I had outside my department were great too.) As a result I have great grades and a strong portfolio building up. Many of the professors I am actually closer to than the other students, which leads me to the sad part.

The social life here is terrible. I made a couple of close friends which is better than a lot of people will get. But that doesn't mean that the social life on the whole wasn't boring. This is mostly because people tend to go home on weekends. Parties are usually lame, people only want to talk to their best friends. If you're lucky, you can find someone to pretend to be friends with if you want to be an extra at a party, but that usually just consists of sitting around looking stupid.

The people in the fraternaties are surprisingly the most easy going people. I never joined one but I wouldn't close that option to yourself if you want to try and find a group of friends to make you feel at home. The bros and stoners were the next friendliest people and the nerds ironically are the most awful and barbaric people on this campus. So bottom line, don't be heartbroken if you feel like there isn't much of a social life here for you.

Campus is made mostly out of cement. The hallways are dark and gloomy and it can really depress you on a bad day. The funniest part is the giant tower seen from miles away that you can't even go in. The only place that ever sees any improvement is the library, but I never saw any need for improvement in it. I think its hillarous how they always make a huge scene whenever renovations are done to it. "The ceremony for the new and improved library is this week". Yippie. Also, count on graffiti being everywhere you go and count on it being raunchy and disgusting.

The housing, I think it goes without saying, is for the most part awful. Freshman housing was disgusting. The bathrooms were always unsanitary and the dorms were barely large enough to fit anyone. The sophmore dorms are a minor improvement. The heat was always up to an intolerable level when I visited my friends who lived there. Plus you can rely on the wonderful student body to only make the place more unlivable by trashing it. The fire alarms get pulled all the time at about 3:00 AM and everyone has to leave the building.

I've never gone to an RA meeting and I don't care to; mainly because I hate having some student play cop with me. The visiting rules are a joke. Even if you live on campus and have identification, you still need someone to sign you in. Well my friend can't exactly sign me in when there's no cell phone service for me to contact him with idiots. Its so stupid that I can't just go and visit my friends. Either fix the cell phone service or fix the system.

Res food is usually anywhere between bland to disgusting. Sometimes something good will be served, but usually I just look around the cafeteria and settle on getting a sandwich. The only good food is at The Sky Ranch Grille and The Birch Grille, which don't take your meal plan by the way. The staff are really nice though as long as you are respectful.

Finally, my last point, the police, or public safety. Well it depends on the officer. Some of them are wonderful, others won't be nice to you even if you try to be nice first. Don't mess with them though, they broke up a riot very aggressively with tear gas before.

In conclusion, I don't regret coming here because the academics were amazing, but I'm not sad to leave it. If you want a school for academic success AND ONLY that, this is a great school. If you are really hoping for a social life, then go someplace else.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011