StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth

- So far, my 2 years at UMass Dartmouth under an ElectricalQuite BrightElectrical Engineering
- So far, my 2 years at UMass Dartmouth under an Electrical Engineering major have been more than satisfactory. To give you an idea of the difficulty of the classes in general, the material of 2nd-semester sophomore year has had me questioning whether or not I made the right decision of majors. However, while the work is certainly difficult, it's never impossible, and I've found that most of the professors that I've had are very willing to answer questions, or at least are very helpful in pointing you in the right direction so that you can answer your own questions on your own with their guidance. To date, I haven't had a professor that I've truly regretted taking, and even my least favorite teachers were only my least favorite because I didn't enjoy the material they were teaching, rather than for any individual characteristic of their own.

- Besides the classes, I actually really like Dartmouth's campus as well. The buildings themselves are pretty damn ugly to be honest, but then again, if you make your choice of any college based on what it looks like alone, you probably have your priorities in the wrong place anyways. The sports facilities, fields, and gyms are pretty nice, although the work-out room is always overcrowded. I understand the discontent with the food services that have been made known in some of the other comments on this website, since the food isn't amazing and the operating times are just as impressive, but the food provider company is extremely receptive to criticisms and suggestions, so there's no complaint there either. - All of that being said, I would happily recommend UMass Dartmouth to another (or at least to those wanting to attend the school for Electrical Engineering).

2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+
I'm a senior at this school now andQuite BrightArt & Design Department
I'm a senior at this school now and I'm going to be very honest of what I think of this school. Bottom line is that this is a place to go for an education, not a strong social life.

I was in the art department and it was great. However I've heard very differently for the other departments (though I found that the professors I had outside my department were great too.) As a result I have great grades and a strong portfolio building up. Many of the professors I am actually closer to than the other students, which leads me to the sad part.

The social life here is terrible. I made a couple of close friends which is better than a lot of people will get. But that doesn't mean that the social life on the whole wasn't boring. This is mostly because people tend to go home on weekends. Parties are usually lame, people only want to talk to their best friends. If you're lucky, you can find someone to pretend to be friends with if you want to be an extra at a party, but that usually just consists of sitting around looking stupid.

The people in the fraternaties are surprisingly the most easy going people. I never joined one but I wouldn't close that option to yourself if you want to try and find a group of friends to make you feel at home. The bros and stoners were the next friendliest people and the nerds ironically are the most awful and barbaric people on this campus. So bottom line, don't be heartbroken if you feel like there isn't much of a social life here for you.

Campus is made mostly out of cement. The hallways are dark and gloomy and it can really depress you on a bad day. The funniest part is the giant tower seen from miles away that you can't even go in. The only place that ever sees any improvement is the library, but I never saw any need for improvement in it. I think its hillarous how they always make a huge scene whenever renovations are done to it. "The ceremony for the new and improved library is this week". Yippie. Also, count on graffiti being everywhere you go and count on it being raunchy and disgusting.

The housing, I think it goes without saying, is for the most part awful. Freshman housing was disgusting. The bathrooms were always unsanitary and the dorms were barely large enough to fit anyone. The sophmore dorms are a minor improvement. The heat was always up to an intolerable level when I visited my friends who lived there. Plus you can rely on the wonderful student body to only make the place more unlivable by trashing it. The fire alarms get pulled all the time at about 3:00 AM and everyone has to leave the building.

I've never gone to an RA meeting and I don't care to; mainly because I hate having some student play cop with me. The visiting rules are a joke. Even if you live on campus and have identification, you still need someone to sign you in. Well my friend can't exactly sign me in when there's no cell phone service for me to contact him with idiots. Its so stupid that I can't just go and visit my friends. Either fix the cell phone service or fix the system.

Res food is usually anywhere between bland to disgusting. Sometimes something good will be served, but usually I just look around the cafeteria and settle on getting a sandwich. The only good food is at The Sky Ranch Grille and The Birch Grille, which don't take your meal plan by the way. The staff are really nice though as long as you are respectful.

Finally, my last point, the police, or public safety. Well it depends on the officer. Some of them are wonderful, others won't be nice to you even if you try to be nice first. Don't mess with them though, they broke up a riot very aggressively with tear gas before.

In conclusion, I don't regret coming here because the academics were amazing, but I'm not sad to leave it. If you want a school for academic success AND ONLY that, this is a great school. If you are really hoping for a social life, then go someplace else.

4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A, Campus Aesthetics: D
Bad school, very boring on weekends cause mostSuper Brilliant
Bad school, very boring on weekends cause most students leave, there could easily be a dangerous, inconsiderate person or group of people in a building or dorm that get away causing harassment even after being identified as causing trouble, bottom line; this school sucks and i strongly recommend you transfer as I already have
1st Year Male -- Class 2009