StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth

Don't waste your money and time at thisAverageCriminal
Don't waste your money and time at this school. I didn't know it was possible to waste thousands of dollars on an education, but you can here at umass. Thank goodness for the friends you make here because the school in general sucks. I am a crime and justice studies major, so i can't speak much for other departments. But if you plan on being a criminal justice major go somewhere else. I should have just gone to Bridgewater State University but the reason I didn't is because I didn't feel like driving the 45 min commute (Umass is 15 mins away from me). Looking back at it now I wouldnl't have even applied to umass if i could do it all over again. Words can't express how frustrated I am with this institution. They care more about the money than the student, don't be surprised to figure that out real quick if you come here. Campus life is actually not that bad though. If you like to party and have a good time, meet new people, then you'll have fun and be fine. Beware of campus police though, they can be a pain! lol
3rd Year Female -- Class 2013
Scholastic Success: B+, Innovation: F
UMD without looking at it offers so muchQuite BrightPsychology
UMD without looking at it offers so much in terms of programs, facilities, and people. Going into it my freshman year I thought I made the best choice; perfect size, perfect distance from my house; great psychology program; and especially great financially. They have a really good honors program and offered me so much aid I could hardly refuse. Touring it, I was so glued to the idea that I would be in far less debt here than anywhere else, so I applied and chose to attend. This all seemed great until I actually moved in. Move-in day in itself was a complete nightmare. There was no organization and a cop literally directed me to a parking spot then 5 minutes later tapped my shoulder asking me to move. Little did I know this was how the entire school functioned! Hallways are windy, confusing, and disgusting. There's little to no regard for the appearance of the school (which is advertised for its "architecture" but really is just giant ugly slabs of concrete) Housing is a disaster. I've had my room broken into while I've been in it. If you don't own a pair of shower shoes you might as well just not shower because the bathrooms are horrific. Quiet hours are not enforced and neither is any form of discipline for destructive students who think breaking windows and pulling fire alarms at 2 am are sources of entertainment.

There's no chance of a social life on this campus, especially on weekends if you aren't a member of a fraternity or sorority.

It rains basically everyday, and you can imagine how beautiful concrete looks when it's wet. The campus is extremely soggy as well. If you are looking for something with physical appeal you won't find it here. This is true for the student body as well. Don't get me wrong, there are some attractive people. But generally speaking, students here are potheads. Weed and cigarette smoke is everywhere and constantly blown towards you even when you're just trying to get into a building. UMD is filled with inconsiderate people who basically bum around on campus.

Faculty is kind, but unhelpful. They listen to your problems, complaints, and suggestions yet do nothing about any of them. Don't get your hopes up...when you think they understand you they really are just saying anything to get off of the phone with you or for you to get out of their office. This school may have good programs and offer a lot of money in financial aid, but it has made me miserable. I can't transfer fast enough. I thought it would be a nice middleground from UMass Amherst and UMass Lowell but wow, this was not worth it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Collaboration/Competitive: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F
This will be long so bear with me;BrightSociology
This will be long so bear with me; umd is not your typical 4 year university. Academicly it is good depending on your major..i know nursing and engineering are nationaly recognized but i dont know about the other majors. most people complain about the teachers but i personally beleive they are fair and understanding..as long as you stay on them 110 percent or else they will ignore you. The food is terrible, point blank period. Dont even waste your time spending alot of money on meal plans because you will not use them all. Most of the time the food is very bland and there are never any different options to choose from. My biggest problem with UMD is the social scene. people are very close minded at this school and i truly beleive that the majority of the population forget that they are in college and that this is supposed to be a life changing experience. most people leave on the weekends and it becomes a ghost town. people tend to stay within their own clicks and rarely venture out to meet new people or do different things. it is very segregated, i dont think its because people are racist i just think people are afraid/dont care to make an effort to hang out with different people. obviously there is alot of drinking but it gets boring after a while when there is nothing to do thurs-sat. there is a local bar in the neighboring town but that gets old very very quick. even if you go there the people wont mix and mingle or even attempt to dance with someone outside their social/racial group. there are clubs about 45 min away so most of the time people go once in a great while. The eye candy at this school is down right horrible and for a school with such unatractive people its insane that most of the females here are not willing to step outside their comfort zone to hang out with smart, good looking guys outside their racial background and social background. most people dont even attempt to dress up or look good for the opposite sex so you might find yourself wearing sweatpants 75 percent of the time your at the school. everyone walks around this school with their head down unwilling to change or be around different people. I tranfered here 3 years ago, and althoguh i did meet a group of freinds that i can honestly say will be with me for a long time after i graduate, i would tranfer in a heart beat if i originally came here as a freshman. bottom line Umass dartmouth is a terrible school that has literally nothing to offer in a nutshell here is what i think; the girls are stupid/upity, the guys are creeps/ugly, the party scene is non existent and good weekends happen once every 3-4 weeks if your lucky. DON'T COME HERE..seriously dont its a terrible place to spend 4 years of your life before you transition into full fledged adulthood.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2012