StudentsReview :: The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI
Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth

This school was a waste of my money.BrightMechanical Engineering
This school was a waste of my money. I mean coming out of this school with a degree looks great, because it's supposedly a great school but I have never had so much trouble with administration anywhere. The first semester I had to send 5 emails to the dean in order to get classes that I needed because he insisted I did not need them (when I did). The next Fall semester, I was given a very hard time getting into my classes, all of them conflicted but were mandatory. When I brought this to someone's attention they simply told me not to worry and it would be worked out. When it came time to pick classes I found a loophole and got them to work, until the Dean went and changed the time of my class after I had already been signed up for 2 weeks. This school is terrible and makes it impossible to graduate in 4 years regardless of what you do. The misery and fighting and troubles I hav had to go through in 1 year alone is not worth the supposed "great name" to have on your degree. Do not get stuck going here (for engineering that is), you will be sorry.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Social Life: C, Individual Value: F
I know these review can have a bigBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
I know these review can have a big impact on how an incoming student goes into a school with a certain mindset, so I will try to be open-minded.

I was a terrible high school student, never had an ounce of motivation and was much more concerned with the parties. At some point in my senior year I realized what I want to do in life, and it doesn't involve serving people hamburgers in the drive-thru window. It was too late to buckle down and I had no options for college. My first week at UMD, September '09, was brutal. I quickly realized I had to do everything in my power to transfer.

Everynow and then I visit friends of mine at Northeastern or Roger Williams and I am amazed by those school. I am doing what I can do maintain a high GPA, but honestly there is very little work to do. I am in a few clubs related to my major (business) the Charlton college of business is pretty nice without a doubt the one good thing about the school I have noticed.

I only really went to one party, it was a frat party and it involved me splitting a 30 rack with these two total losers, I'm pretty sure the one guy actually has down syndrome, anyways the party sucked just like all frat parties. I pretty much have no interest in making friends here. I know I can keep my GPA > 3.3 but my only concern is that the schools I want to transfer will not accept me just because of my going here.Most of my teacher are actually pretty cool, almost every exam I have taken has been scaled massively due to my moronic peers. Anyways to each his own, if i was in my high school state of mind I'd probably be having a ball.

1st Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A-, Campus Aesthetics: F
UMass Dartmouth seemed like a cool alternative toBrightSociology
UMass Dartmouth seemed like a cool alternative to UMass Amherst. Upon commencement, however, events swiftly and surely altered my perception of the institution. The dormotories, with the exception of the newest upperclass halls, are in shambles. The staff is either overworked or completely inept. Furthermore, vandalism was frequent, and exorbitent repair fees were quick to follow for the entire building. The buildings are slabs of 60s concrete and surrounded by a busy ring road which students are forced to cross multiple times daily. On-campus underclassmen are forced to purchase a meal plan, but the selection is sub-standard and the staff seem to consist mostly of ex-convicts. As far as social life goes, there are average groups like theatre, greek life, masspirg, etc. However, there is also a newly formed mob of "zombies" and soldiers who combat each other across campus. Many of my peers found this behaviour eccentric and obnoxious. The faculty is a mix of dedicated professors and schoolastic mercenaries. Though at times helpful, most will be subtly opinionated or condescending. At $20,000 a year, I rate this college a five out of ten for overall value.
1st Year Male -- Class 2008