StudentsReview :: Wellesley College - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY
Vassar College -- Poughkeepsie, NY

Wellesley College

If you value your sanity, do not comeNot so brightEconomics
If you value your sanity, do not come to this school. If you want to avoid four years of depression and anxiety, do not come to this school. "Wellesley Women Who Will..." WHAT A JOKE. Here is the truth: not everyone is going to be successful. Maybe one in five of us will become doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, or professors, but most of us will be stuck in a deadend desk job with only lukewarm coffee from Dunkin Donuts to comfort us. We will not follow our dreams. We will not have it all. And we most certainly will not the change the world. The problem with Wellesley is that the faculty, administration, and student body pretend as if everyone is a special snowflake and will achieve their dreams. They completely ignore the fact that the school accepts around 25% of its applicants--not competitive by any means--and that most students here are of average or slightly above average intelligence who will struggle to make ends meet. Students here are cliquish and unfriendly. Even worse is the student activism on campus. People here love to play politics. For example, the administration decided this week that we would have Meatless Monday, where all dining halls would serve no meat to support sustainability or whatever. Cue outrage from activist groups all over campus. "What about people with eating disorders? Why do you care so much about meat, but not about POC/LGBTQ/transpeople/faeries?" The education is decent, but unless you are supremely intelligent, it will prove worthless in the long run. The grade deflation isn't as bad as most people think, but prepare yourself for a steady stream of Bs and Cs and stingy, unhelpful professors who won't even glance at you unless you pull an A in class. The Wellesley name also doesn't hold much merit in the real world, so good luck finding jobs or getting into grad school. If you like talking about the gender binary with a bunch of Ivy rejects and hooking up with sleazy MIT frat guys, then congratulations. You've found your dream school. Otherwise, go elsewhere.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: A, Social Life: D+
Wellesley is a wonderful school.Quite BrightOther
Wellesley is a wonderful school. There are so many posts that praise Wellesley's campus, culture, dining halls, academics, professors, etc.

I'm going to talk mostly about academics.
It is fairly fairly challenging. And there is no work life balance. I think this is mostly due to the lack of men, lack of a city really close by, and the culture overall.

I'm a Junior, CS and Art major, I have a tutoring position in the CS department, I work at a UROP at MIT, and I spent the semester applying and getting into my study abroad program in the spring. I definitely work more than 40 hours a week. I have a total of 20 hours of classes/tutoring/help room. Then on top of that I work at least 30 hours a week and sometimes more. That makes fo ra 50-60 hour a week.

I also go out out Boston and hang out with my friends every weekend, so it's hard to get all the work done over the weekend when all I want to do is enjoy myself.

Be prepared for an extremely challenging junior year. First-year and sophomore year are a breeze in comparison.

Also it's really hard to get internships, like really hard. I've had interviews at fortune 500 companies and have not yet gotten an offer. I advise you to set your goals straight. If you want finance, major in econ or engineering or hardcore cs. If you want engineering, major in CS.

I've decided to go on the law track and hopefully work in academia.Just be aware that junior year is not a breeze and it's hard, even for someone who doesn't procrastinate and prioritizes well, to manage everything.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2017
University Resource Use: A+, Campus Maintenance: F
The main negative isSuper BrilliantChemical Engineering
The main negative is the dorms! Awful! Crammed three to a small room. And no effort given to placement. Put together without anything in common. Undesirable showers and bathrooms. Cannot understand why such a small student body must be crammed together on 500 acres of beautiful property.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019