StudentsReview :: Wheaton College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College

When I went to visit Wheaton for theQuite BrightEnglish
When I went to visit Wheaton for the first time in the spring of 2013, it seemed like an amazing school, it looked beautiful, people were nice and friendly, and it seemed to have the intellectual vibe I was looking for. It easily became my first choice of colleges, it was small and intimate, the only real con was the dinning hall. However, just a year later on my accepted student stay over, the truths slowly started to come out. On my over night I was met with a highly judgmental female student, who brought me all around campus until 2AM, I knew she was just trying to give me the real college experience, but we had to be up for 8am accepted students meeting, which she not only failed to get up for on time, but she had her roommates lead us to the meeting, while she spelt through her alarm blaring. Moreover, the night before, she excluded me from the conversations, with the other visiting student and her peers, she didn't inform me anything about the school besides its cliqueiness and bad tour guides. I didn't let that bad experience get me down, I was after all an introvert forced into a highly social situation, and wasn't that adjusted. So when I started that fall 2014, I was trying to keep an opened mind, but the nightmare just continued. I decided to live in wellness, the substance free dorm, because I wanted a more quiet surroundings, however, I never heard back from my assigned roommate. A week or 2 before starting, I found out I was assigned to a new roommate, because something happened to my original roommate( I'll never know, but the mystery still bothers me.) This roommate had just switched schools a week before coming to Wheaton, she wanted a roommate, didn't care for welleness, we were shoved together because of my lack of roommate and her desire for one, no other reason, no comparing our data or sleep happens, nope just put them together. Let's just say her alcoholic tendency got old real fast. We never talked to each other, she would start her work at 10 pm, on the nights I was going to bed early for my 8am class. Let's just say we were a bad fit, I know I wasn't the best roommate, I had my faults, but she tried to blame it all on me, and lets be real here, after the night she got super drunk and I had to take care of her puking all night on, because she would've gone to bed and choked on her vomit if I wasn't there, and even though she clearly didn't like me, I took care of her, I was not the bad roommate, which my RA clearly saw. I spent the rest of the school year living alone and felt really lonely, out of place, and wanted to transfer out before she even moved out, but the thought never left. I stuck it out, it got better for a bit. Then I had a solid good year. Then comes this year and its been a nightmare. The nightmare of the fall semester didn't end with the end of the semester and me moving to study abroad, but my school has literally ruined my study abroad experience.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use/ spending: F
Wheaton College is a very small community toQuite Bright
Wheaton College is a very small community to the point that opportunities feel limited.
Faculty and administration mean well and are very approachable but for things outside of basic education here at Wheaton, like employment and internships, they offer very little.

Also, the counseling center and the school's accommodation for both mental and physical disabilities is very lacking, many students don't feel supported or taken seriously. The student body itself however is very friendly, it's a close community. Things like Public Safety and food are good.

1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: F
As a student from Ireland, college here inQuite BrightPolitical Science
As a student from Ireland, college here in the US could've been startling. But luckily, I found myself at a fantastic New England LAC and I have loved every minute. Yes, classes are challenging. And yes, Norton isn't the metropolis that many may crave, but any time spent studying at Wheaton College will make you a smarter and more rounded person. You will make connections that will last a life, and will benefit your career.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019