StudentsReview :: Worcester Polytechnic Institute - Comments and Student Experiences

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute -- Troy, NY
Rochester Institute of Technology -- Rochester, NY
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, MA

Worcester Polytechnic Institute

There is nothing fun to do at theBrightComputer Science
There is nothing fun to do at the school expect drink and smoke. A lot of the students are self absorbed and do not treat you like a person. They'd rather talk about how good they are at school work than learn who you are and be friendly with you. The professors have been okay, but half of them are rude and don't treat you well. They'd rather do research than help you and only have 1-2 office hours per week. Some professors have been rude enough to yell at me in meetings when I didn't meet their standards for "excellence" and then turn around and give me an A in the course. The school has been wasting tons of money on admissions and can't get lab equipment or PC's that aren't from the stone age.

On top of all of this, you need to be in a frat to have a good time. There is literally NOTHING to do on the weekends, but the school makes up for this by making you work hard all weekend and just end up hating life.

I haven't felt comfortable at this school and don't think it's my fault. In high school I had many friends and felt happy. Usually in college, that is supposed to progress into something better and more enjoyable, but this school has just been killer.

I do have a good core group of friends and we're able to hang out and have fun, but if it wasn't for them (and their fraternities), I'd be having a much worse time.Do yourself a favor and get into the UMass Amherst engineering program. Don't give this school a cent of your money cause you'll never see it spent well.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A, University Resource Use/ spending: F
If I could go back in time andSuper BrilliantMechanical Engineering
If I could go back in time and choose a different school, I would. All this school does is stress you out more and more. Some of the professors are rather helpful, but some are only there to recive a paycheck. The school itself LOVES its money and its rules. I pay $50,000+ here, and I cannot even get a professor that speaks proper english. Half the time I think this school is so hard because you cannot understand the professor. The lab equipment is always broke and takes forever get get replaced, if it ever does. Doors are randomly locked for no reason at all. They love to control where you can and cannot go. The registers office is horrible. They never can answer your question about anything. They will always tell you to visit a website, and it never works. Then you go back to ask why its not working and they are no help. The network operations is horrible here too. They can never get the WIFI to work. The school learning website is always down (myWPI). You would think at a tech school that this stuff would be outstanding, but its not. This school is techonolgy driven, and all the assignments, projects, and lectures are on myWPI, but it works only half the time. Therefore, you can't get your work done.

About the only thing that is good about his school is the snow removel. If there is a snow storm and classes did not get cancelled, the sidewalks and pathways are cleared.

My point is that if you pay top dollar for a school, you should get the best of everything. Well here you don't. If the WIFI was better, if the servers were better, and everything else was better. Then maybe I would change my rating. But for now it is low.

4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A-, Individual Value: F
The school academic engineering program is strong.Quite BrightEngineering Department
The school academic engineering program is strong. The campus is beautiful and opportunities are many. However, for the past few years they continue to lower the SAT score for female admittance. I rarely attended class during freshman year but did extremely well. No NR, No Cs. If you NR out of engineering, they now have business "engineering" management and theater...at an engineering school. REALLY? Now, we have a school with more females that are clueless and not able to handle the academics. They make up for it by joining sororities. The majority of females (almost 85%) are in a sorority. Days are spent backstabbing each other and talking behind everyone's back. High School all over again. And don't dare leave the Greek system, they will make your life hell. If you want to avoid attending High School all over again DON'T GO HERE. If I had known how strong the Greek presence was I would have avoided this school at all costs.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016