StudentsReview :: Bowie State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Maryland College Park -- College Park, MD

Bowie State University

Bowie State University is a joke

May 13 2014Psychology
Bowie State University is a joke. The staff does not take students seriously. I have had issues in every department from admissions to financial aid and no one seems to be able to help me. The Provost is not very helpful either, he cannot get things done. He has promised to fix my problems but hasn't delivered. Do not waste your time and money on this university. I wasted a semester here and now have to start over somewhere else.

Bowie University is an awful I ever had

Jun 24 2014Business - Management and Administration
Bowie University is an awful I ever had. When the first time I applied to the school, they did not reveal I had been admit. I called them, they said" my name is not in the file". I went up to the school and I wrote them my name and they still said my name was not in the file. Then, I had to wrote the number code so they can find my name. It is stupid. They told me came back my house and waited for three months for they sending the letter of admission. The letter did come to my house in 3 months but it didn't mention I admit, it just told me it decided me out of state students even I had been go to Maryland community college for two years or more. It is another stupid. When I submitted the information proved me I am in state, I asked the white lady sat on the font desk. I admitted yet? She said I admitted since January. I felt angry. The second I worked in the game room, my boss did not allow me to study or do homework during I worked. I couldn't carry the laptop with me so I had to used the computer lab in the library. This is the only lab I can used it. The lab didn't have lab technician. If you want help, you had to go up the third flood to get help. Sometime, you can't get help because they said they didn't know to do it. The school is big but the computer lab for general students is only one lab. I loose my time to do the homework. My accounting professor did not help me a homework. He said the job is for tutor no instructor. The financial aid is worse than any thing. In the beginning semester, I asked them the money in my account bowie was award for me even I went part-time. They said yes so I took out $800 dollar to buy books but later they took back my money because they said they made adjustment base on my classes. I surprised they made adjustment after one week from the class started. It took me off. My name was drop out of all my classes. I couldn't came back to my classes instead I had to take another classes and I had to borrow money.It made me so furious and bit off. From the time I in this school, I didn't meet a lot of smart students. Only students I meet they are fail exam to go to university of Maryland. In this school, I suggested if you can go to another school, please do so. If you can't admit to university of Maryland or Towson or University of Baltimore then I suggest you need consider community college and do good then transfer to other good university.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Social Life: A+, Education Quality: F

I am an out of state student (art

Aug 21 2013Art & Design Department
I am an out of state student (art major) that is going on her third year at BSU, and I have to say I enjoy it. Of course however, there are some cons and stuff to look out for:

Dorms:
I have lived in Towers Hall, Alex Haley, and I'm going to have a single in Towers this year. I am well aware of Towers "reputation" in all honesty, just keep your own nose clean and nothing will happen. Let the trashy girls be trashy. The visitation policies are in fact ridiculous, so I usually snuck in Haley. But some of the res hall programs were pretty cool, some of the RA's brought free food for everyone to share. Make your dorm your home and don't let the size frustrate you. It can work.

Cafe:
The food is off an on. Some days it's god awful terrible, and others you are getting 4 plates of it. The guy Chris who works at the fry and burger line is really awesome and nice :) We have a new student building and judging by the pictures the cafe looks amazing, and I heard we're gonna have a new catering organization. The manager (woman with braces) can be pretty annoying sometimes, because she is constantly yelling at her employees. Make sure you don't get caught sneaking food by her, most of the other employees really don't care.

Social:
Now I have mixed feelings about this area. You see, my interests are not like the majority of students on campus. I agree with other reviewers who say that people are pretty much copy cats of each other, style wise and all. It gets annoying and sickening to see all the weed too. The sororities act WAY to stuck up, and will mean mug you when you walk past their plot. But if you look past the surface and through the cracks you can really meet some amazinnggggggggg people! I've met the greatest friends in the entire world to me, and have the best boyfriend ;). You just have to be open minded and know yourself to know what type of people you want to have associated in your life. A good place to start is the game room.

Admin:
Financial aid and student accounts are the most stuck up arrogant departments I have ever seen. They are filled with young women who believe they are the queen of the entire university. Because of that, if you question them too much they get an attitude and begin to get rude and stand offish. I have had many episodes with financial aid. There is a white woman who works at the front desk when you walk in who will literally tell you that there is no money and that there is nothing they can do at all and that you can't see anyone in their office unless you make an appointment EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN SEE THEM IN THERE DOING NOTHING, but as soon as you talk to someone else like your counselor. They can handle your business in 10 min. My advice, email your counselor or anyone else to avoid contact with her. Another challenge is, being out of state. They barely answer the phone and won't get back to you in days, they don't make you feel like you are priority and catch an attitude when you inquire about additional funding to be added on your financial aid package. Out of state students have to pay twice as much to attend bowie as in state on top of transportation to even get to the school. Long story short when you contact financial aid or student accounts, know what you have to say and plan it out ahead, because they will get an attitude an rush you. All in all, if I didn't have the amazing friends/bf/art department this school would suck.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015