StudentsReview ™ :: Bowie State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Maryland College Park -- College Park, MD

Bowie State University

I am an out of state student (art

Aug 21 2013Art & Design Department
I am an out of state student (art major) that is going on her third year at BSU, and I have to say I enjoy it. Of course however, there are some cons and stuff to look out for:

Dorms:
I have lived in Towers Hall, Alex Haley, and I'm going to have a single in Towers this year. I am well aware of Towers "reputation" in all honesty, just keep your own nose clean and nothing will happen. Let the trashy girls be trashy. The visitation policies are in fact ridiculous, so I usually snuck in Haley. But some of the res hall programs were pretty cool, some of the RA's brought free food for everyone to share. Make your dorm your home and don't let the size frustrate you. It can work.

Cafe:
The food is off an on. Some days it's god awful terrible, and others you are getting 4 plates of it. The guy Chris who works at the fry and burger line is really awesome and nice :) We have a new student building and judging by the pictures the cafe looks amazing, and I heard we're gonna have a new catering organization. The manager (woman with braces) can be pretty annoying sometimes, because she is constantly yelling at her employees. Make sure you don't get caught sneaking food by her, most of the other employees really don't care.

Social:
Now I have mixed feelings about this area. You see, my interests are not like the majority of students on campus. I agree with other reviewers who say that people are pretty much copy cats of each other, style wise and all. It gets annoying and sickening to see all the weed too. The sororities act WAY to stuck up, and will mean mug you when you walk past their plot. But if you look past the surface and through the cracks you can really meet some amazinnggggggggg people! I've met the greatest friends in the entire world to me, and have the best boyfriend ;). You just have to be open minded and know yourself to know what type of people you want to have associated in your life. A good place to start is the game room.

Admin:
Financial aid and student accounts are the most stuck up arrogant departments I have ever seen. They are filled with young women who believe they are the queen of the entire university. Because of that, if you question them too much they get an attitude and begin to get rude and stand offish. I have had many episodes with financial aid. There is a white woman who works at the front desk when you walk in who will literally tell you that there is no money and that there is nothing they can do at all and that you can't see anyone in their office unless you make an appointment EVEN THOUGH YOU CAN SEE THEM IN THERE DOING NOTHING, but as soon as you talk to someone else like your counselor. They can handle your business in 10 min. My advice, email your counselor or anyone else to avoid contact with her. Another challenge is, being out of state. They barely answer the phone and won't get back to you in days, they don't make you feel like you are priority and catch an attitude when you inquire about additional funding to be added on your financial aid package. Out of state students have to pay twice as much to attend bowie as in state on top of transportation to even get to the school. Long story short when you contact financial aid or student accounts, know what you have to say and plan it out ahead, because they will get an attitude an rush you. All in all, if I didn't have the amazing friends/bf/art department this school would suck.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Friendliness: A+, Surrounding City: F
Jul 02 2013Accounting

Financial aid office sucks! The chancellor sucks! The provost sucks!

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Individual Value: F

If you can afford to or have the

Dec 27 2012Psychology
If you can afford to or have the opportunity to attend another institution do so. Most of the negative comments here are valid and not overstated. I am a veteran student here at Bowie State University and was sold a bill of goods when I attended the open house. The resources are minimal, advisement is terrible and some of the Professors are arrogant and opinionated to a fault. I did not attend college to have to sit in class and hear about someones political and religious beliefs. Personally, I could not recommend this institution to anyone. Oh, and if you are a veteran Warning!! Do not attend this school or you will have holds placed on your account every semester until the VA pays your bill. Please! DO NOT ATTEND THIS SCHOOL.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013