StudentsReview :: Frostburg State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Florida -- Gainesville, FL
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University -- Tallahassee, FL

Frostburg State University

I see so many reviews that are 100%BrightNursing
I see so many reviews that are 100% negative or 100% positive about this school. As someone who is on their third year, and was an RA their second, let me tell you a bit about this school. The biggest issue is NOT the faculty, the resources, or even the city life. All of those are actually quite great. The issue is the type of students they admit into this school. Not all- but the majority are slack offs who still think it's cool to talk shit about people everyday and to get trashed Wednesday-Sunday. Student wise, frostburg is like a giant high school. You have all the cliques- the mean girls, the catcalling men (yes there are TONS of those here), the ones who never show up to class, the always high or drunk; and then about 2% of people are there just trying to get their education and get the fuck out of there. Don't get me wrong, some of the hardest working people I've met go here. I've met the love of my life here. But this almost doesn't seem like college with how childish people are. I came here because it was the cheapest school in MD, and was what I could afford. However, I do often wonder what it would have been like to go to another school that actually felt like COLLEGE. With that all said, I'm going to list some pros and cons to you, cause there are also reasons I love frostburg.

Pros:
-Greek life is great here. I'm involved in Greek life and I am very happy
- Lots of extra curriculars. So many.
- Nature is everywhere. The atmosphere is calming, and there's even an arboretum.
- There IS a night life outside of partying, if you look for it. Main Street has a theatre, a bar that hold open mic nights and poetry slams, and the literary arts center hosts authors that read their works. On campus, there's a big event in the Lane Center every month (this month had a petting zoo, caricature drawings, a man who juggled tazers, and so much more)

- Most professors are enthusiastic about their job and would love to help you. There's definitely a few who are full of themselves, but for the most part, we have a great faculty.

-Hands on experience with your major. As a nursing major, I get to shadow other nurses in hospitals, as just an example. But just about every major gets real hands on experience outside of school.

-You will meet some great people. I have met some of my best friends here, who I know I'll have for life.

-Lots of diversity
Cons:
-But most of the people suck. Get ready for twerking in hallways and yelling outside your room at 4am. Oh, and food thrown on your stairwell. And endless shit talking.

-We're so fucking poor. I have no idea when is the last time they maintained the sidewalks.
-Lower quad dorms are crummy. Broken blinds, stained chairs, etc. Luckily, they're renovating them all to look like upper quad dorms (which are very nice)

-You will NOT feel safe walking home at night. Especially if you're a woman.
- People will scoff at your school and say it's "not a real school"
-You will wonder if what you experience is the same as any other college, or if you're being cheated out of a true college experience.This school definitely what you make out of it. You can choose to hate every negative aspect of it and suffer through it, or you can surround yourself with all the wonderful things it has to offer. Me being poor as shit, I don't have a choice. I am not my schools reputation, and you don't have to be either. I know I mentioned a lot of negative things, but I also love it here, cause it's making me stronger each day, and I have found so many beautiful people and opportunities. If you go here, id say make damn sure you get at least a 3.5 GPA when you get out so grad schools/jobs know you mean business.

2nd Year Female -- Class 1921
Innovation: A, Perceived Campus Safety: D
Choose an affordable, AACSBBusiness - Management and Administration
Choose an affordable, AACSB accredited business school if that's the type of degree you are choosing. Frostburg State is a great choice for those who cannot afford the Ivy League or Private tuition rates.
I come from a small town so IAverage
I come from a small town so I knew what to expect going to Frostburg. Many students on campus complain about the lack of things to do around town, well you knew that before you chose the school, and if not then you should've done some research. Overall, FSU has been the best choice I have ever made. The people here are friendly and its an over all good place to be. Yes, there can be those few students who think they can do anything and try to create drama, but that will happen anywhere. I would really suggest not attending FSU if you do not enjoy the party scene and think that those who party are annoying. There is a lot of partying done on campus and off campus. As much as it may sound like FSU is just a party school many students are focused on their school work. Those who attend Frostburg learn to balance partying and school work.Lastly, I suggest living on campus for your first year so you can make friends and get the "feel" of being on your own without all of the extra work of making your own food, cleaning up a whole house, and etc. Initially before transferring to Frostburg I felt that I should live off campus, however I am glad I did not. I have made friends that will last a life time.
Education Quality: A, Surrounding City: D