StudentsReview :: Johns Hopkins University - Comments and Student Experiences

It is harder thanQuite Bright
It is harder than expected and Ivy schools have grade inflation. I wish we did. Our professors get pleasure in the harsh grades JHU is known o give, and it makes getting the premier internships harder for JHU students. This is a fact.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2016
Innovation: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: D
Please do not go here.BrightPublic Health
Please do not go here. This place ruined my life and my career.I originally came in here as a public health major wanting to be a family physician, literally that was my dream to help other people. I fell in love with my major after hearing about it from a department lecture. My freshman, first semester covered grades, I admit Hopkins was a challenge. To do well on my first chem test, I had to study everyday and do problems over and over (no life). But as the semester wears on, no one can shut themselves in all the time to get grades, its human nature to want to have fun. And thats where my grades dropped in the premedical course requirements. Because physics here isn't just physics at a state schools, its intense. Calculus is also intense. Every premed course here is intensive. Because remember getting a A is based on how high above the class's average you get. And its not like the people getting the average are stupid, they got into the same university you did. If you're someone like me, who works hard and believes hard work will get you through, this isn't the school for you. If you are someone who is naturally smart in the premedical sciences (I mean you never had to ever work to understand it) or you want to pursue a career in a particular major that JHU is known for you, then going here is acceptable and suitable. If you're a premed trying to get into a medical school and you're known even slightly as a hardworker, don't come here. It will ruin your chances of getting into any medical school, no matter how average or low it is ranked. Medical schools care only about stats, not really about the prestige of the university you went to. So if you go here and you don't do well not because you suck at science but because you are competing against smart peers, your science gpa is low that it makes you have to take 1-2 years off before going to medical school. Most of my friends who are premed had to take 1-2 years off. Isn't that kind of ridiculous, considering you went to such a hard school and tried your best. At a state school, you can get good grades and participate in extracurriculars and have good stats to get to a medical school. Honestly, if you do end up ignoring my advice and coming here and you're premed, please be strategic about what courses you take. Meaning, if I could go back over and redo it again, I would take only 1 science course a semester and flood the rest of my schedule with humanities to keep a high GPA. I would also take physics somewhere else. So please, think carefully before coming here. This is advice I wish someone had given me, if you are premed and come to JHU regardless of what anyone else tell you, only take the workload that you are sure that you can get good grades. WHo cares what medical schools think (no matter what the advisors say), because at the end of the day if you take courses to impress them and get shitty grades, you have no chance of getting in.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
I went to the Hopkins in the 1970sQuite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
I went to the Hopkins in the 1970s as a concurrent BA-MA student in history. I eventually went to Berkeley for my PhD and ended up a full professor at the University of Virginia. It is remarkable how the comments of students in recent years sound like what Hopkins students said in the '70s. Most of the students I went with hated the place; if they good into Med school or a prestige doctoral program (or thought they would), they put on a positive happy face to outsiders. Life was a relentless academic grind. All the stuff about hard grading and vicious competition was true then too. I got a first-rate professional training. As an graduate student when I was already a sophomore, I had plenty of access to the history faculty and they were wonderful as people and scholars.

But the as a liberal arts education it was a disaster. Everyone was there to get in somewhere less -- usually med school (70-80% of my class was pre-med). This destroyed the university as an intellectual environment. The natural science types were grade obsessed, often suicidal, and could talk about nothing but their homework and grades. The other 10 history majors were a real mixed bag. Thanks to God for some of the finest teacher scholars I have ever known.The phrase "Hopkins is where fun went to die" was coined in the 70s there. We called the place the "hole above ground." Social life? What's that? It is hard to describe the liberation of arriving at Berkeley. People were interesting, intellectually alive, and fun. I guess I was prepared well by Hopkins but did it have to be so inhumane and brutal? The Ivy League Harvard and Yale types that I went to Berkeley grad school with were not as technically well prepared for doctoral work as I was, nor were people from non-big name state schools. But they all seemed to have enjoyed their undergraduate education. I have never quite forgiven the Hopkins for taking away the human part of four years of my youth. But, unlike my sophomore roommate who bailed and went to Columbia, I stayed. So I cannot blame Hopkins for that.

4th Year Male -- Class 1976