StudentsReview :: Loyola University Maryland - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University -- Villanova, PA

Loyola University Maryland

Loyola sucks you.Not so brightBiology
Loyola sucks you. They promise you won't pay more than $20,000 in tuition and double it after freshman year. Don't go if you can't afford more than 40,000 NOT WORTH IT!
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Friendliness: C, Education Quality: F
Someone making executive decisions is corrupt.Quite Bright
Someone making executive decisions is corrupt. Everything is overcrowded and gets more overcrowded every year. Unrealistic amount of core requirements which increase every year. Meal plan is now required and increases in price every year. Tuition cost increases every year. All increases in cost goes towards lacrosse team at the expense of student and teacher body.
4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Innovation: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
Loyola is honestly a fantastic school.Quite Bright
Loyola is honestly a fantastic school. It is severely underrated.To be completely candid, I wasn't sold on it before I arrived; it was my second-choice school, chosen because my first-choice was too expensive. However, knowing what I do now, I have absolutely no regrets. I just finished my first semester and was reluctant to go home for winter break. Everyone I've met here is extremely friendly and almost always kind. People really look out for each other here and there is a tight community feel (I've heard a lot of people say that this community atmosphere led them to choose Loyola). No, we don't have football, but lacrosse season more than makes up for that. The teachers are also awesome: they are always available to help you out with an assignment or just talk over lunch or in their office. I had one professor this semester who wants to organize a "spring reunion" dinner for our class because we were all sad that the class ended. One of my friend's professors had his class's final exam in his own house, and cooked them all breakfast. That's the kind of personal relationship you build with professors at Loyola.

That's not to say that the academics aren't difficult; they were very challenging, more so than I expected, honestly. I came in with a 2110 on the SAT and 4.3 GPA. (I didn't choose my college based on which school's admissions statistics were most in line with mine, but on which school I would be happiest at and where I would find a lot of opportunities. I also applied to all Catholic schools.) I am in the honors program at Loyola, and the workload is all-consuming. Fortunately, I've made almost all of my friends through honors, and we still find time to go out and have fun every weekend, but we are certainly not coasting through classes. The teachers are there for you, and it is manageable, but it is definitely not like high school.

Another quick note I'd like to add is on the competitiveness of the student body. The students are very competitive with themselves--we push ourselves to work hard and earn As. However, the atmosphere between students is very supportive. I've had classmates tutor me for up to two hours if I was really lost in a subject. We are happy for each other's achievements and commiserate over failures. It is not at all cutthroat; we only focus on how to personally do better.

The food is also pretty good. The dining staff knows you by name and are always singing or asking about your day. One of my friends was sick and the ladies at Taqueria (sort of a knock off Chipotle) found out, so they sent along a free burrito bowl with his friend to "help him feel better." Really, it's a great community.

Facilities are beautiful. The FAC is state of the art, complete with a rock climbing wall and hot tub. Michael Phelps trains in our pool. The Flannery O'Connor dorm is beautiful and so spacious. There are loads of nooks and study spots all over campus. The church is gorgeous and the school embraces its Jesuit identity. I like that going to Mass is totally accepted, and encouraged. It's cool to be in the choir, not shamed. It is not as Catholic as a Benedictine school might be, but the Catholic presence is certainly there. I really do love Loyola. I have not met a single person who does not. Go on a tour, shadow a class, talk to as many people as you can while you're there. If you want to feel valued and respected, if you want to feel like you exist in your college, you cannot go wrong with Loyola.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019