StudentsReview :: Montgomery College - Comments and Student Experiences

Montgomery College

Financial Aid is THEQuite BrightAccounting
Financial Aid is THE WORST. Coming from a transfer student from out of lazy West Virginia! Accounting department is very arrogant. Barely any tutor programs for it. this school has been a nightmare, with the social life not helping at all.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: D
Most of the non-teaching staff is sub par.BrightBiology
Most of the non-teaching staff is sub par. Financial Aid is a nightmare. They have work study kids working the phones and desk answering questions and their answers are very often incorrect. It is really maddening. Some of the counselors are great, some are simply there to sit in their chair, sign forms, half listen, and collect a paycheck. This support staff makes this place unbearable for me and they are the reason I'm out of there. It's really frustrating. They need customer service training. Simple things like don't roll your eyes at the customer, huff at the customer, have a personal conversation while people are waiting in line and the phones are ringing. It's too bad, because my teachers have been great. The education is very good. The professors are trying very hard to prepare students for transfer to schools like UMCP. There are even research opportunities, which is really cool for a community college to offer. Many of the teachers are personable and there is free tutoring and many other resources to ensure you succeed.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I was really surprised by my experience atQuite BrightMusic - Performance
I was really surprised by my experience at Montgomery College, Rockville Campus.(Warning, this is a review on only Rockville campus, I have not really been to the other campuses.)I am a music(piano) major with a 3.70, but it was no easy task to be academically successful! This school is surprisingly rigorous, especially if you want to transfer. This isn't just a stepping stone, this is more of a leap forward to getting a 4-year bachelor degree. The science and engineering department also moved into a new amazing building! I took Physics for non-engineers there, so it was great to be in the building and to see how the department was like. There are study and computer rooms exclusively for the science/engineer majors. Make me feel envious that they're getting such exclusive treatment unlike us music major who are forced into a small (yet nice) building.

Speaking about the music building, it may be small but the classrooms are really nice. Not a lot of people take music theory (especially once you're into music theory II), so no need to worry about being cramped in a small classroom. The music building also provides practices room that you can sign up for. There is also a great recital hall with nice acoustics! Oh, and we also have the theater in the Theater arts building, and the large Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center.Takoma Park/Silver Spring campus also have their own performing venue too!

I really like the medium size classes in MC. Sure it feels like high school, but that can be great for those who do not like to be in large lecture halls. This also allows for professors to give individual attention.

The workload really depends on the professors. I recall having a Statistics professor who gives lots of online work (I hate online assignments...), but I also have professors who give absolutely no homework, but simply rely on us to do readings/practice work on our own. Research on your professors!

Social life may seem intimidating at first because of the crowded environment (especially toward the afternoon). Montgomery college at one point had higher enrollment than University of Maryland! But, I made lots of friends, especially with those in the music department. I also became acquainted with other people from my non-music classes. I'm not even in extra curricular activities! There are plenty of extra curricular activities available. Of will still meet people who treats this as another high school. It's a community college, what do you expect?

Now, what I absolutely hate about MC Rockville campus is the parking. Yep, that is a huge problem. There is never enough parking, ESPECIALLY between 10 a.m - 3 p.m. So it is best to go to campus early so you can find time to park if you happen to have any classes between those times. I don't know about Germantown Campus and Silver Spring/Takoma Park campus. I can say a lot more about MC, but visit the campus yourself if you want to find out more!

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: C-

University of Texas - Arlington (TX) 1:negative

Montclair State University (NJ) 1:negative

University of West Georgia (GA) 1:negative

Ozarks Technical Community College (MO) 1:negative

Compare MontgomerySave Montgomery

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→