StudentsReview ™ :: The Maryland Institute College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

The Maryland Institute College of Art

When looking into MICA LOOK AT THE PRICE

Nov 11 2013Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
When looking into MICA LOOK AT THE PRICE FIRST!!!! MICA is very pricey, mind you it is a great school and I loved it there but I had to transfer out because of the price after only one year there. They do not give out very good aid if you are lower middle class just an FYI there. Also do not go to MICA with out money saved up. Supplies (and yes you use all of them) are very expensive. Make sure your family can handle the burden financially.MICA is awweessooommmee the community is great do not stay all cooped up in your room get out and do stuff there is so much to do not just at MICA but in the city and surrounding towns. Also the faculty is just fantastic they are open and friendly but there are some who seem a tad self absorbed and some who pick clear favorites if you dont think you and your teach click then get a different teacher! it is not that difficult honestly. But beware of Rich B. he can be very un helpful but also at times helpful.. he has his moments.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C-

I think MICA has really challenged me these

Aug 01 2013Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I think MICA has really challenged me these first 3 years and I'm really excited as to where my paintings are going. I love the program and the facilities are awesome! I've made great friends and I really like Baltimore too.. it's quirky and has a great art and music scene!!! I'm not sure why all the negative vibes about the city and safety because I've always felt safe and have had nothing but positive experiences here.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: B+

Words cannot express my displeasure with my experience

Jun 29 2013Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Words cannot express my displeasure with my experience at MICA. Considering the reputation, and certainly the price of admission, I was expecting a world class art school. Majoring in Graphic Design with a focus on Advertising, the general major coursework was on par with what I expected. However, the faculty, curriculum and general school beliefs are still stuck in the past and REFUSE to accept new ideas or ways of creating. At MICA, Photoshop should only be used to crop images, not paint, or in any way express creativity. As a freelance Digital Artist, my life resolves around digital creativity, something MICA simply does not offer or value in the slightest.

As far as the general requirement classes, they are aimed at teaching you the basics of color, composition, techniques, and style. Which is all well and good for freshman, and people pursuing an education in how-to. But to anyone with any experience in any kind of art making, the coursework is laughable, and a colossal waste of time. I'm sure it's like this with any art school, that doesn't change the fact that they should cater to those with experience, and actually try to push us farther instead of having us sleep through entry level courses. I feel as though every class was essentially an arts and crafts session instead of a prestigious art school course.

Onto the actual experience. Not only were the majority of students completely condescending and arrogant, it was without merit. While on a daily basis, trying to courteously, respectfully, and constructively critique the work of others in class, the majority of other students had zero respect for any of their peers. I was insulted on numerous occasions, even at one point accused of being a chauvinist for portraying a set of female lips enjoying candy. By a Graphic Design instructor, I was pulled aside after a class and was told I was "too visual oriented" as an artist. Think about that statement for a second. The fact that this conversation happened inside of one of the supposed top art schools in the country, I was simply amazed, and still am to this day.

At the Maryland Institute College of Art, if you didn't oil paint it, it is not acceptable. Unless you throw a bunch of red things inside of a red scarf, and then it's brilliant. It was a complete waste of time putting any effort into projects, and I probably would've been better off creating the most simple paint splash for every project. Unfortunately, the majority of artists in this world take their art very seriously, and enjoy putting their lives into it. Not here. I will not be returning to continue my education at MICA, and would advise others who are going into the Digital field to look elsewhere. The school is extremely traditional, and arrogantly stuck in the past.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014