StudentsReview :: Mount St Mary's University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
Saint Joseph College -- West Hartford, CT

Mount St Mary's University

At first the Mount seemed like the perfectQuite BrightPolitical Science
At first the Mount seemed like the perfect place for me but that soon changed. Going to the Mount felt like high school, and the people who like attending the Mount are the ones who act like they are in high school still. More than half of the people I've met here transferred or want to transfer. There is absolutely no social life here, and the parties that the sports teams have suck. The Mount is not a real college, it is just a continuation of high school. Please take my advice, DO NOT COME HERE. You will have a much better experience at any other school. I did not take the advice I got about this school and I regret it now. I am just glad I got out while I could
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F
The president seems very cool.BrightUndecided
The president seems very cool. We'll all be sad to see him step down.
Overall I would say most professors here are intelligent and approachable. The core program is definitely unique, but not useful to any subject in particular. Some professors have even expressed disinterest in core material.

Mount Saint Mary's has probably one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen, and I think most could agree with that.

Dorms are as nice as you'd expect, and ResLife is fairly accommodating. Some of the RAs take their jobs entirely too seriously, but you can't really get angry at them for enforcing the rules.

The rules are the problem. For a college that is incredibly lenient about on campus partying and drinking, there are some ridiculous rules regarding curfews. MSM is one of the only colleges I've ever heard of that takes gender separation so seriously. After midnight on weekdays and two AM on weekends boys aren't allowed on girls floors and vice versa. This is a bit of an absurd rule to impose on adults. I say adults because no matter how immature most of us are, we are old enough to sign our life away in student loans just to go here. If I'm taking out a $30,000 loan each year, I expect to be able to have a guy friend stay the night in my dorm. The rules regarding this gender curfew wouldn't infringe so much on my opinion of MSM were they not so actively enforced. Two minutes prior to curfew on a weekend you'll see RAs monitoring the halls, making sure no one of the opposite sex is lingering on the wrong floor. It's absolutely ridiculous. On top of that, you may be immediately reported to public safety for doing so. This is just absurd to me. I'm not sure if the administration thinks sex only happens after midnight and/or 2 AM, or if they have this idea that general rowdiness only occurs when genders are mixing. Regardless of the reason, the rule is just stupid. We pay too much money to be treated like children.

Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: F
Faculty is great but administration is what screwsBrightUndecided
Faculty is great but administration is what screws this school up. Blatant disregard for law, underage consumption of alcohol is encouraged by university (even by president himself). Administration annihilates any sense of order in class selection by adding copious numbers of transfers to the system (core classes nearly impossible to get into). Administration routinely adding more students than it has the capacity for leading to students being housed in converted lobbies.

Extreme amount of alcohol consumption has lead to deaths in recent years, yet administration continues to turn a blind eye. Commuting students are treated unequally (only one offense to be expelled as compared to a residents count of 3). President of the university spent majority of his time in 3rd world country (had incoming freshmen watch recorded speech of himself, what the heck! )Overall the faculty of the university are great, but the administration is the epitome of incompetence.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014