StudentsReview :: Morgan State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Temple University -- Philadelphia, PA

Morgan State University

I am a female freshman starting this fallBrightAccounting
I am a female freshman starting this fall 2015 and we are required to attend a freshman orientation. We stay 4 days and 3 nights in the dorms on campus and have to participate in tons of social activities. I barely spoke to any of the Female students that attended the orientation,I tried making female friends but they refuse to speak to me. I felt like a complete outcast I ate alone in the dining hall and didnt hang out with any of the females there at all wtf pmf. The girls there were mean to me for no reason at all. I cried every night there. Im from NY (BK) and I notice that seem to be some type of problem for the girls there. I even had to participate in a skit where one of the females there refuse to work with me and ask for another partner, but luckily i had a small part! The guys there were cool much better than the females. The orientation was one of the worst experiences ever for me because I felt out of my element. It was mentally exhausting to deal with the females to say the least i'm just glad i'm out of there now. I decided not to attend Morgan this fall as I am in the process of finding another school hopefully to start the Jan 2016 semester. My parents are extremely upset with me to make matters worse. My dad called me a quitter and my mom has not spoken to me since I broke the news. Im in a deep depression right now to say the least crying everyday. I just wanted to ask, has anyone here from NY had to attend one of these Morgan orientations where u had to stay on campus and hatted it and felt picked on? any responses would be greatly appreciated because i just want to know that i'm not alone in feeling this way.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Individual Value: F
Morgan State University is an institution of higherQuite BrightSociology
Morgan State University is an institution of higher learning and provides opportunities for any person of every background to succeed.

YOU HAVE TO WANT IT MORE THAN THE NEXT!
GREAT EDUCATION IS AT YOUR DISPOSAL AT M.S.U!
You have to better voice your opinions, advocate for your own education because, believe it or not YOUR paying for it in the long hall.

Yes there are a few negative minded individuals, and administrators but the best story is one that shows resilience!!

Morgan State is a great University to learn and become a great leader, scholar and activist !
GO BEARS! #MSU16

4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Innovation: A, Extracurricular Activities: C-
I began attending Morgan State after my freshmanQuite BrightAccounting
I began attending Morgan State after my freshman year; I transferred here from another HBCU (private institution). First, the administration treats transfer students like the ugly stepchild. You are constantly overlooked, and after "transfer orientation" you are pretty much thrown out there with no other guidance at all. Next, the campus life is subpar, and there are very few organizations worth being a part of. As a female, if you aren't in FUTURE or NCNW there isn't much else for you to do unless you're an athlete, a dancer, or a cheerleader. The food is okay, I've definitely experienced better but college food is college food. About 75% of the faulty talks to you in a condenscending manner and treats you like a child; which is probably because majority of the traditional undergrad students act like children. I do like that fact that there are quite a few non-traditional students (older students) that attend Morgan and they do really help you in class sharing their experiences. There are a lot of international students but I honestly think they are there because Morgan is getting money for them to attend. The students have just about NO school spirit (although the bookstore does have nice MSU apparel) and no one really cares about learning, they just want to pass and graduate. Coming from another HBCU, a private prestigious one at that, I saw both sides of the spectrum when it comes to the people, the environment, and the tradition. At morgan, there is NO tradition. And if there is no one respects it. The buildings here I can say are very nice at morgan, the computer labs suck, but the buildings are nice (a lot are new). I never lived in the dorm but I do live in Morgan View and can not STAND it. You pay twice the amount to live in a dorm and basically still live in one. You're better off just getting your own apartment. And once you sign your Morgan view lease you are pretty much stuck until the year is over. you're really just paying for convenience... but to sum it all up, if you commute, having trouble affording school, or your grades are bad and you're just trying to get the degree and go, BY ALL MEANS ATTEND MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY. But otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: B, Innovation: F
Compare MSUSave MSU

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→