StudentsReview ™ :: The St Mary's College of Maryland - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The St Mary's College of Maryland

Apr 10 2014Political Science

Facilities are horrible at this college.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Campus Maintenance: F

I'm going to be honest, this was not

Mar 30 2014Biology
I'm going to be honest, this was not the right school for me. Once I started by freshman year, I wanted to transfer the first month I was there. But I didn't, and then we all ended up on a boat, which isn't the worst thing ever but come on people, the school is on the water, you should EXPECT mold. Basically, the school does not have the money to make the repairs it needs to survive. Most of the resident halls need to be torn down and rebuilt, but it's never going to happen because they don't have enough students. Also, what everyone says about minorities is totally true. There aren't many and they either get treated like shit or they're "the token black kid". I wish I was kidding...

My sophomore year I was RA, and let me tell you how HORRIBLE res life is. Not only are they obsessed with covering their own ass, they don't care about students. I had a friend who was told to get information from students and then tell the students the information was being reported after the fact, which I think is unfair. Res life hates being criticized, and if you do stand up to them they will either avoid giving you a better position, or they will straight up fire you. Myself and 2 other RHCs were fired one year, as well as many RAs have been fired. I was fired based on hearsay. They gave me a chance to "confess" without telling me what I was accused of, asked their favorite RHC to say what she heard (without letting me know what she said about me), and then fired me on me birthday. I had another friend who they fired from an RHC position, then asked him to interview for an RA position so they could hired him back because they desperately needed RAs, and then they didn't even hire him after he want through all that trouble. The worst part is all of us were fired for stupid reasons, while RA's who drink, smoke pot and sleep with their residents are still working. I could pretty much rant all day about the shit they did to their own student staff and

The biology department staff were very intelligent, but they weren't often helpful. Even though I got a chance to do undergraduate research, I ended up getting yelled at for not knowing specialized information more then I actually learned, and people in the lab would constantly get away with not doing their jobs because the staff didn't care.

Finally, the school just doesn't have enough programs. You can get VERY general degrees, and you don't get a chance to specialize, there aren't many internship opportunities (nothing is close by, and you need a car to do pretty much anything off campus), and a degree from there isn't prestigious. I ended up leaving because I switched my major to nursing, and they definitely don't have anything even close to that at St. Mary's. My boyfriend was a music major but left because they pretty much cut all funding to the music program and left the department to fall apart, as most of the artistic programs are doing now because they would rather give money to science programs. The only thing I got out of that school was a wonderful boyfriend and a few biology classes. And now I get to tell my kids why mommy and daddy both left St.Mary's so they weren't stuck that godforsaken hell hole...

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Surrounding City: F

Im so happy that I was able to

Jan 19 2014Biology
Im so happy that I was able to transfer out of this hell hole. As a minority student, I'd advise all others not to attend. You will probably know each and every person in your race, because there is so little racial diversity. I was a freshman student but I transferred to Univ. Maryland CP for the spring, so I can't offer too much advice. The school is really small, friendly staff, racist students, cute campus; BUT DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU ARE A MINORITY.
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F