StudentsReview :: The St Mary's College of Maryland - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA
University of Virginia -- Charlottesville, VA

The St Mary's College of Maryland

If going to college in a natural settingPhilosophy
If going to college in a natural setting is important to you, look no further. What sets this college apart, of course, is that it is situated right on the bank of an exquisitely beautiful river. If endless hours exploring the river by paddleboard, sailboat, or windsurfer sounds like the kind of collegiate experience that you're after, then I don't know of anywhere else that compares. This is the best college in Maryland for someone that loves to be outside. When you tire of the river, there are wonderful trails in the woods that surround campus, and Southern Maryland is a great place for road bicycling.

As far as the culture goes, I was constantly surrounded by thoughtful, intelligent, artistic, and hilarious individuals. They were not hard to find, and they helped define my unforgettable collegiate experience. The community feel here is something to be cherished.

The academics are like anywhere else--you get out what you put in. But being at a small school means being on a first-name basis with all of your professors, for better or for worse. In general, the professors here are top-notch. I am the thinker and writer I am today because of this place, and if the goal of a liberal arts education is to inspire a lifelong love of learning, then St. Mary's succeed.

The housing is phenomenal compared to most schools. If you're a dweeb like me, you'll really appreciate the beautiful and tasteful architecture of the buildings. You'll probably never have waterfront housing like this again for the rest of your life.

Finally, some other things that make this place unique: the campus farm, the vegetarian co-op, sailing & windsurfing opportunities, silly traditions, feeling like you're a part of the history.NB: This is a weird and skeazy website, and please don't base your college decision on what you see here. If you want to see what SMC is all about, visit on a nice spring day!

As a preface, I do not mean toAverageOther
As a preface, I do not mean to give a negative review, however there are many things I wish were made clear to me before I attended this college. The small campus means there are very few active clubs, you can find a list of all the clubs still technically on the roster, however I have found that easily over 75% of them do not hold regular meetings. There is not much to do on weekends at all, in my first three years parties were very common, though repetitive and those who didn't drink may often feel left out. In my senior year, the campus enacted a new policy to prohibit parties, in order to curb drinking, this, in my opinion made it harder for drinkers and non drinkers alike to enjoy the weekends since there are almost never actual activities, most people spend the weekends just hanging out with their established friend group. The campus is generally friendly and most people are approachable however it can be very clique-y, again due to how small the school is. The campus is also very safe, it is hard to commit crimes or get in fights at such a small school. Sexual assault resources are very well advertised and accessible, however from what I have heard, they are sadly extremely unhelpful. The dorms and townhouses are generally nice for how old they are, so long as you keep them clean. But there are many exceptions and unfortunately the school has had issues with mice, flooding and mold in living areas. For my education experience, I can only speak as an environmental studies major, I found the classes to be repetitive and uninteresting. It was a new major when I came into the school, so some issues are understandable, but it seems like at least half of classes I have taken in the major, over four years focused on racial/gender issues, more than the actual environment. Many students enjoy this, and I understand why, however as graduation approaches, I cant help but feel like I haven't learned very much that I couldn't have taught myself. It is clear that in the environmental studies department, most professors have never held a job outside of academia, and as a result, they are far more concerned with giving students a holistic world view, than they are with skills that will help them succeed in a career. It should also be noted, that environmental studies, and biology are not even comparable at this school. And anyone stuck deciding between the two would not find nearly as much in common between them as is usually expected.
4th Year Male -- Class 2019
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
Going to St, Mary's was by far the worst decision I ever maSuper BrilliantPolitical Science
Going to St, Mary's was by far the worst decision I ever made in my life. The place is falling apart, the teachers and administration are arrogant, their are mice in the library, the roof is leaking in the library also, the air and heating are always braking in most buildings, the degrees are worthless, and the classes don't even use PowerPoint's most of the time. They pay their President, of a 1,800 student college, more then the Governor of Maryland (which is just absurd). They like to say that they decreased tuition, but they really did't. See they decreased the tuition by 1,000 dollars recently, and then they increased housing and food costs the same year (the increase was close to 1,000). Most of the buildings and tables are falling apart (they still use wood chairs in the classrooms, the ones that were used in the forty's typically). Also, they take advantage of students with community service for stupid violations, which no other college in the state does for the same violations. They also tend to suppress opinions that they don't like, and don't allow students to speak to the Board of Trusties directly (which every other college in the state does). This place act's as arrogant as an IVY, yet their far worse then the average state college. Most community colleges are ran far better than this place. If you want to waste your money and life, then come to SMCM.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017