StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland - Baltimore - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Maryland - Baltimore

The School of Social Work is a disaster.Quite BrightSocial Work
The School of Social Work is a disaster. No one, absolutely no one, is even remotely helpful. The administration is incompetent. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong, and there will be no one willing or able to help you.

I had one adjunct professor that had no background or knowledge of the subject matter. She had questions on exams that were blatantly false, and when I pointed that out she announced that I was the only one to notice.

Finally, Baltimore is a scary place. I am constantly getting alerts about muggings in the streets on campus. Mostly these are unarmed, but the last alert was about an armed robbery.

5th Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: C, Education Quality: F
I am an undergraduate nursing student at UMBBrightNursing
I am an undergraduate nursing student at UMB and im writing this to tell you if you are an undergrad between the ages of 19-22 and looking for a good college experience then DO NOT COME HERE.

I'm an out of state student and transferred to UMB because i got into their nursing program which happens to be one of the best in the country. I wish i would have taken the time to at least visit the school before making a decision because if i did i definitely would have never came.

Social life: Youre looking for a social life? well youre deff not going to find it here. The word "social" doesnt exist in the minds of UMB students which is probably due to the fact that the average student is 27 years old since UMB is considered more of a graduate/professional campus. At least half the people in my program are married,have kids, and already have multiple degrees which sucks considering that im only 20 years old working on my 1st degree. My old university was a huge and well known party school so to come from that to here was a major blow. And the fact that baltimore is literally the most boring city i've been to does not help. Oh, and also this school is a huge commuter school si that makes it even worse.

Academics: This school is challenging academically so if youre not ready to put in work and study almost every day of the week then dont bother coming. I will say that one thing i like about the school is that i feel challenged every day and i know that graduating from a top school like this will make it easier for me to get into grad school. I've never worked so hard just to make B's in my whole life.

Surrounding City: Baltimore has got to be one the lamest cities on the east coast. Maryland in itself is a very boring state and once you leave baltimore and get past towson everything becomes super country. The weather isnt great, winters are cold there was a snow storm even in mid-April. It's very gloomy during the winter at one point i recall going almost 2 weeks with no sun. I got so pale to the point where i almost looked white and i'm black..so that was a problem. One thing i will say i like about the city however is the proximity of baltimore to actually cool places such as DC, NYC, Philly, etc. so when i have time i like to venture out to those cities.

Conclusion: If you are a very young undergraduate student looking to have fun while still going to a good school then do not come here because it will be the death of you. Look for a school in DC NYC Boston or even Virginia instead. I cant recall the number of times ive literally counted the months i have left until i graduate and leave this place. If i could transfer out i would in a heart beat but ive decided to just be a big girl and suck it up and pray that my time here goes by fast. With that said, If youre 24+ with other responsibilities and are just focused on strictly getting a good education then come here because this is the perfect place for you.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A, Collaboration/Competitive: D-
The only good thing I have noticed aboutNot so brightNursing
The only good thing I have noticed about this school is its smart, resourceful students and its use of high technology. If you go to this school make sure that you get on campus housing. It is pretty safe if you do that because you can get police escorts at night from the library to your home. I chose the school based on this reason, that although it is an urban campus my safety is assured. Itis safe as long as I stay on campus. But your safety is not assured if you have a clinical off campus, which is likely to happen. Some classes have few clinicals offered on campus. Some clinicals are as far as Washington DC. Also, the faculty here are arrogant and unconcerned with their job as well as their students. The administration is disorganized. Also, I was told that this school was ranked as one of the highest for its field and had challenging academics. I soon found that the academics are simply not challenging, the only thing that is challenging is dealing with professors who are set upon throwing barriers in the way of student learning.
1st Year Female -- Class 2007