StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland University College - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Maryland University College

Definitely challenging.Not so brightPsychology
Definitely challenging. Time management is key. Just because UMUC is mainly known for its online classes, does NOT mean the classes are easy. They're definitely challenging (in a good way) and most of the professors are friendly and concerned with your academic success. Majored in Psychology at UMUC and was accepted into a Psyc graduate program at UMBC.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: F
I just started my second class at UMUCBrightOther
I just started my second class at UMUC and I think its great. Let me start off by saying, right out of high school I attended classes at Salem State University. The classes were 75 minutes long and the teachers didn't speak to you, they spoke AT you. I learned nothing at SSU and hated the learning environment. I currently work a full time job and have a 1 and a half year old daughter. UMUC is very convenient, their online classes have a syllabus and a class schedule, you can view your future assignments to see what they are and when they are due. I have not yet had any trouble reaching my professors, advisors or the financial aid office and they all have been very friendly and helpful. You have an initial discussion post due every week and usually 3 responses by the end of the week. Of course there are readings and assignments due as well, but overall it has been very convenient and pleasant for me.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: F
I'm writing this because I'm bored to deathNot so bright
I'm writing this because I'm bored to death with my classes. I'm in the middle of writing a discussion post that requires references in APA format and all I can think of is why? I've attended a real brick and mortar school and had many topic related class discussions and NEVER did I have to cite or reference anything I said. Folks, if online education is your thing and you are comfortable sitting behind a monitor typing your silly brilliance away in hopes to sound intelligent to a bunch of strangers, who quite frankly don?t care at all, then go for it! I commend you for wanting to do this. Me, I feel like I?ve wasted so much time going through the same motions over and over again? Write paper on something but follow grading rubric, submit ?discussion? posts and response to other people who wrote similar but slightly different posts, write another paper but with a few more pages, read overpriced book that is not mentioned on any exams because the questions are from a test bank then repeat until graduation or you?ve given up. End point? Take degree, apply for job, apply for more jobs then finally end up getting a job that has nothing to do with degree, yet find yourself paying for your student loan for the rest of your life. So bored and stupid? Go to a real school with real people and get a real degree. You will thank yourself later.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019