StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland University College - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Maryland University College

I don't really get all the negative reviews

Mar 30 2014Computer Science
I don't really get all the negative reviews for UMUC on here. I have attended a number of universities online and brick and mortar and I have definitely been challenged the most by the curriculum at UMUC. I am doing the cybersecurity degree with a comp sci minor and am extremely pleased so far with the courses. To the individual that claimed he was in charge of 140 people and would never hire a UMUC grad (but for some reason he abbreviates it UofM, which is a completely different school) I hope you are joking because you are getting your degree via UMUC, a tad bit hypocritical. I actually am in a leadership position in the DOD cyber programs and would not hesitate to hire a UMUC grad that proved to be bright and aggressive. In fact The NSA and DHS have designated UMUC as a center of excellence. You have to be ambitious and a self-starter to succeed though, I would bet that is where most negativity towards the school stems from. The professors for the most part are polite, helpful and seasoned, every now and then you get a dud, but I would say far less common than most b&m schools.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Social Life: F

Don't attend UMUC -

Mar 14 2014Accounting
Don't attend UMUC - you will regret it! It is nothing more than a money grubbing diploma mill that will take your money and provide a very poor quality education. Then if you want transcripts it cost $10.Harvard charges less!!!! Safe yourself the grief, and seek a real education elsewhere.

I feel guided to preface this review due

Aug 23 2014Other
I feel guided to preface this review due to my awareness that employees of UMUC, public relations reps for the school, and/or family members or friends of the employees may or may not try to rebut my review. I post this review as a bachelor?s degree recipient from University of Maryland University College (UMUC) who does admit that many of the teachers that I had cared about fairness when it came to the amount of time needed to understand and complete the assignments. Additionally, it was a tough decision for me to even post this review because three of the instructors from this school were kind enough to agree to write academic recommendations for me to be admitted to my dream school: George Washington University. This was even after giving them short notice for such a request during the 2013 summertime and after I had already walked across the podium to receive my bachelor?s degree on May 11, 2013 (the ceremony was held within a gymnasium at the University of Maryland college park campus). Why the one star ranking instead of more? Well for starters, as mentioned before, the teachers I at least seemed to care about their job. However, there is pretty much a nonexistent campus life outside of the classes (if you do want to join anything it would have to be by appealing to the school where many of UMUC?s classes are offered: UMCP). Additionally, this school is mainly for those who already have a secure employment, work for the federal government, those retired from the military, and/or who plan to make the military at least a 20 year career and are only taking UMUC classes as a notch in their chances for professional promotion. I caution any students who are undecided about this school and are unemployed for more than 6 months to be careful about going to this school as a way to make themselves more competitive in the marketplace that is currently more of an employer?s market. I say this because I knew going in that I would have to have a college degree for even a job that related to what I did when I was still in the military. When things did not go according to planned, I went ahead and applied for jobs that did not even require college degrees. Fortunately, I did get a job and was told that how I presented my qualifications at the interview (along with my military experience) was what got me this job (in other words my bachelor?s degree had no bearing on me getting my job). Additionally, fast forward to January 2013,I was billed by student accounts and the UMUC student veterans center for a charge that was from the summer 2011 semester (the dollar amount was around 490 dollars). However, I was frustrated that summer 2011 charge was being brought to my attention when student accounts had all of 2012 to let me know (which they didn?t). Anyhow, I was both frustrated and suspicious on why such a past charge was only brought to my attention in 2013 instead of sooner. I went ahead and paid the charge around this timeframe in order to prevent it from going to collections and to be able to walk across the podium to receive my bachelor?s degree (which as mentioned earlier I did). I ask student accounts if that is it and they say yes, and nothing else was said for the rest of 2013. Fast forward to late April/May 2014 and student accounts e-mails me and brings up a charge that is apparently from summer 2011 (the same semester mentioned in January 2013). We go back and forth in e-mails (for the next three months) about the 490 dollars that I paid them. Fast forward to August 2014, and a rep from UMUC student accounts finally says that the burden of proof is on me to prove that I sent them the 490 dollars even though they are the ones who told me in 2013 that everything was now cleared and fine after I paid the money and they did not bring up what I supposedly owe from summer 2011 until late April 2014. I?m now in the process of having the bank that I know that I used the card from send me statements from the time period in question. Sadly, either two things happened, I sent the 490 dollars paid with my debit card back in 2013 but the parties that I trusted to deduct from my card either did not take from my card as I thought or just forgot to record the payment in their records. Additionally, someone from UMUC student accounts automatically sent my account to collections before even notifying me in 2014 what happened. Regardless of the outcome, I feel that I have no choice but to warn others about UMUC and to research my options when reporting to outside and impartial academic authorities about what happened.
Starting Job: prefer not to say Preparedness: C Reputation: F