StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland University College - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Maryland University College

I just started my second class at UMUCBrightOther
I just started my second class at UMUC and I think its great. Let me start off by saying, right out of high school I attended classes at Salem State University. The classes were 75 minutes long and the teachers didn't speak to you, they spoke AT you. I learned nothing at SSU and hated the learning environment. I currently work a full time job and have a 1 and a half year old daughter. UMUC is very convenient, their online classes have a syllabus and a class schedule, you can view your future assignments to see what they are and when they are due. I have not yet had any trouble reaching my professors, advisors or the financial aid office and they all have been very friendly and helpful. You have an initial discussion post due every week and usually 3 responses by the end of the week. Of course there are readings and assignments due as well, but overall it has been very convenient and pleasant for me.
more→Feb 17 2015
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: F
I'm writing this because I'm bored to deathNot so bright
I'm writing this because I'm bored to death with my classes. I'm in the middle of writing a discussion post that requires references in APA format and all I can think of is why? I've attended a real brick and mortar school and had many topic related class discussions and NEVER did I have to cite or reference anything I said. Folks, if online education is your thing and you are comfortable sitting behind a monitor typing your silly brilliance away in hopes to sound intelligent to a bunch of strangers, who quite frankly don?t care at all, then go for it! I commend you for wanting to do this. Me, I feel like I?ve wasted so much time going through the same motions over and over again? Write paper on something but follow grading rubric, submit ?discussion? posts and response to other people who wrote similar but slightly different posts, write another paper but with a few more pages, read overpriced book that is not mentioned on any exams because the questions are from a test bank then repeat until graduation or you?ve given up. End point? Take degree, apply for job, apply for more jobs then finally end up getting a job that has nothing to do with degree, yet find yourself paying for your student loan for the rest of your life. So bored and stupid? Go to a real school with real people and get a real degree. You will thank yourself later.
more→Jan 27 2015
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Useful Schoolwork: C+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
First off, my major is Cybersecurity, but thisBrightComputer Science
First off, my major is Cybersecurity, but this website doesn't have an option for that. Second, I feel like most people that comment on this website are broken spirited in some way and that's why they write such negative reviews, but I haven't been in their shoes. All I'm saying is, make your own decisions and don't solely rely on other people's perspectives (including mine).

Anyway, I find UMUC to be decent. I'm here because I work a full time job with no non-secure internet (government) and they have a vast amount of online courses to take. What I really like is that these classes don't all start at once, so if you want to take a break for a month or two during the semester before your next courses start, you can do that. That's nice so when I want to take 6 courses, I don't have to take them all at once and burn myself out.

However, I find that most courses have me answering discussion posts that ask a very specific question (ex. Who shot President Lincoln?), and then I have to respond to other people who have answered the exact same question but my response has to be creative ("I agree/disagree because?"). I don't know, I find too many discussion posts pretty pointless. I'd like to see less of those.

Also, these online courses are hardcore in the sense that a lot of them are 8 weeks long, so you'll be doing a significant amount of work each week. It's important to pace yourself, so don't try to bite off more than you can chew and take like 5 courses all at once. Been there, done that.

The professors I've had have been good and quickly respond to any questions I may have, and even seem to care a good deal about their students and their progress. Of course, I'd always suggest to people to check out ratemyprofessors.com first before you sign up for someone's class (again, make your own decisions but just keep other people's thoughts in mind).

I've found the admin staff at UMUC very helpful as well. They always speak clearly and direct me to whomever I have to speak to in order to get stuff done. If I have a suggestion to make (like how they can make the website more user friendly), I just send a polite email to them through Help@UMUC and they respond kindly and promptly.I've been to four schools since graduating high school (due to moving), and I have to say that UMUC has been my favorite. I am even considering getting my masters in Cybersecurity here as well. Overall, I am pleased.

more→Dec 21 2014