StudentsReview :: The University of Maryland University College - Comments and Student Experiences

The University of Maryland University College

I'm writing this because I'm bored to death

Jan 27 2015Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm writing this because I'm bored to death with my classes. I'm in the middle of writing a discussion post that requires references in APA format and all I can think of is why? I've attended a real brick and mortar school and had many topic related class discussions and NEVER did I have to cite or reference anything I said. Folks, if online education is your thing and you are comfortable sitting behind a monitor typing your silly brilliance away in hopes to sound intelligent to a bunch of strangers, who quite frankly don?t care at all, then go for it! I commend you for wanting to do this. Me, I feel like I?ve wasted so much time going through the same motions over and over again? Write paper on something but follow grading rubric, submit ?discussion? posts and response to other people who wrote similar but slightly different posts, write another paper but with a few more pages, read overpriced book that is not mentioned on any exams because the questions are from a test bank then repeat until graduation or you?ve given up. End point? Take degree, apply for job, apply for more jobs then finally end up getting a job that has nothing to do with degree, yet find yourself paying for your student loan for the rest of your life. So bored and stupid? Go to a real school with real people and get a real degree. You will thank yourself later.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Useful Schoolwork: C+, Collaboration/Competitive: F

First off, my major is Cybersecurity, but this

Dec 21 2014Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
First off, my major is Cybersecurity, but this website doesn't have an option for that. Second, I feel like most people that comment on this website are broken spirited in some way and that's why they write such negative reviews, but I haven't been in their shoes. All I'm saying is, make your own decisions and don't solely rely on other people's perspectives (including mine).

Anyway, I find UMUC to be decent. I'm here because I work a full time job with no non-secure internet (government) and they have a vast amount of online courses to take. What I really like is that these classes don't all start at once, so if you want to take a break for a month or two during the semester before your next courses start, you can do that. That's nice so when I want to take 6 courses, I don't have to take them all at once and burn myself out.

However, I find that most courses have me answering discussion posts that ask a very specific question (ex. Who shot President Lincoln?), and then I have to respond to other people who have answered the exact same question but my response has to be creative ("I agree/disagree because?"). I don't know, I find too many discussion posts pretty pointless. I'd like to see less of those.

Also, these online courses are hardcore in the sense that a lot of them are 8 weeks long, so you'll be doing a significant amount of work each week. It's important to pace yourself, so don't try to bite off more than you can chew and take like 5 courses all at once. Been there, done that.

The professors I've had have been good and quickly respond to any questions I may have, and even seem to care a good deal about their students and their progress. Of course, I'd always suggest to people to check out ratemyprofessors.com first before you sign up for someone's class (again, make your own decisions but just keep other people's thoughts in mind).

I've found the admin staff at UMUC very helpful as well. They always speak clearly and direct me to whomever I have to speak to in order to get stuff done. If I have a suggestion to make (like how they can make the website more user friendly), I just send a polite email to them through Help@UMUC and they respond kindly and promptly.I've been to four schools since graduating high school (due to moving), and I have to say that UMUC has been my favorite. I am even considering getting my masters in Cybersecurity here as well. Overall, I am pleased.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Innovation: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C+

I feel guided to preface this review due

Aug 23 2014Other
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I feel guided to preface this review due to my awareness that employees of UMUC, public relations reps for the school, and/or family members or friends of the employees may or may not try to rebut my review. I post this review as a bachelor?s degree recipient from University of Maryland University College (UMUC) who does admit that many of the teachers that I had cared about fairness when it came to the amount of time needed to understand and complete the assignments. Additionally, it was a tough decision for me to even post this review because three of the instructors from this school were kind enough to agree to write academic recommendations for me to be admitted to my dream school: George Washington University. This was even after giving them short notice for such a request during the 2013 summertime and after I had already walked across the podium to receive my bachelor?s degree on May 11, 2013 (the ceremony was held within a gymnasium at the University of Maryland college park campus). Why the one star ranking instead of more? Well for starters, as mentioned before, the teachers I at least seemed to care about their job. However, there is pretty much a nonexistent campus life outside of the classes (if you do want to join anything it would have to be by appealing to the school where many of UMUC?s classes are offered: UMCP). Additionally, this school is mainly for those who already have a secure employment, work for the federal government, those retired from the military, and/or who plan to make the military at least a 20 year career and are only taking UMUC classes as a notch in their chances for professional promotion. I caution any students who are undecided about this school and are unemployed for more than 6 months to be careful about going to this school as a way to make themselves more competitive in the marketplace that is currently more of an employer?s market. I say this because I knew going in that I would have to have a college degree for even a job that related to what I did when I was still in the military. When things did not go according to planned, I went ahead and applied for jobs that did not even require college degrees. Fortunately, I did get a job and was told that how I presented my qualifications at the interview (along with my military experience) was what got me this job (in other words my bachelor?s degree had no bearing on me getting my job). Additionally, fast forward to January 2013,I was billed by student accounts and the UMUC student veterans center for a charge that was from the summer 2011 semester (the dollar amount was around 490 dollars). However, I was frustrated that summer 2011 charge was being brought to my attention when student accounts had all of 2012 to let me know (which they didn?t). Anyhow, I was both frustrated and suspicious on why such a past charge was only brought to my attention in 2013 instead of sooner. I went ahead and paid the charge around this timeframe in order to prevent it from going to collections and to be able to walk across the podium to receive my bachelor?s degree (which as mentioned earlier I did). I ask student accounts if that is it and they say yes, and nothing else was said for the rest of 2013. Fast forward to late April/May 2014 and student accounts e-mails me and brings up a charge that is apparently from summer 2011 (the same semester mentioned in January 2013). We go back and forth in e-mails (for the next three months) about the 490 dollars that I paid them. Fast forward to August 2014, and a rep from UMUC student accounts finally says that the burden of proof is on me to prove that I sent them the 490 dollars even though they are the ones who told me in 2013 that everything was now cleared and fine after I paid the money and they did not bring up what I supposedly owe from summer 2011 until late April 2014. I?m now in the process of having the bank that I know that I used the card from send me statements from the time period in question. Sadly, either two things happened, I sent the 490 dollars paid with my debit card back in 2013 but the parties that I trusted to deduct from my card either did not take from my card as I thought or just forgot to record the payment in their records. Additionally, someone from UMUC student accounts automatically sent my account to collections before even notifying me in 2014 what happened. Regardless of the outcome, I feel that I have no choice but to warn others about UMUC and to research my options when reporting to outside and impartial academic authorities about what happened.
Starting Job: prefer not to say Preparedness: C Reputation: F