StudentsReview :: McDaniel College - Comments and Student Experiences

Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA
University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

McDaniel College

As a student of Mcdaniel I completely disagreeNot so brightAccounting
As a student of Mcdaniel I completely disagree with the title of ?Best Kept Secret?, while Mcdaniel does provide a wonderful wonderful student base, with a significant amount of carrying and talented professors. Sadly greatly overshadowed by the Incompetency of the administration. I can count more students who have had a problem in some way or another than those who have not.

Ask any student who currently or has attended the college in the past few years and I guarantee every single one of them will have a story of themselves or a friend who has been screwed over by blatantly ignorant administrative mistakes, the most common of which is being cleared to graduate going into your final semester of college only to be told 6 weeks before graduation that you are missing a class and will have to make it up at a later time in order to complete your diploma. Another very very common issue is with the registrars office, Its not uncommon to have problems registering for classes even after being fully cleared causing students to get locked out of important classes that are vital to their major and graduating on time, and the response that you get from the office. ?You'll need to go talk with the professor and have him add you into the class? which to be fair normally isn't an issue because the professors are just as used to these problems as the students.

Another problem is the way in which the campus focus's on ?Safety.? Campus safety officers are normally more interested in writing students up than actually doing any ?Security?, often shirking on important patrol routes to catch a student for drinking, they also have absolutely no issue giving students up to the police, giving students an arrest and charges on their record, which works wonderful for getting jobs after college. This is not the case for the majority of other schools which run an internal system of punishments in order to keep students on campus and not in the hands of the police where repercussions can effect the rest of their lives. If you are a parent, please do not kid yourself. Your child will be drinking in college, its college there is no way around it, students are going to drink and have parties, that's a fact of life, the campus should focus on making sure students are safe, not just how often they can get them in trouble.

All in all, if you want the true measure of a college don't get it from some book, or what you hear on a tour of the school, take the time to talk to a few students and ask them how they feel about the school, the positives and the negatives, Mcdaniel like most schools has a program in which an interested student can spend a night on campus and attend a few classes, I greatly urge any student to take advantage of this program and make a choice for themselves.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
McDaniel College has a beautiful campus, there arePsychology
McDaniel College has a beautiful campus, there are many wonderful people who attend there and you will make lifelong friends. The academics there are top notch and for the most part the professors there are excellent. The student life however is awfully substandard. The campus police harass the student body, and with its "zero tolerance" drug policy even smelling marijuana smoke will result in the police being called and you being arrested, thrown in jail and then taken to court. Most other colleges treat marijuana internally rather than involving legal authorities and giving their students criminal records. The weekends are very boring and awful, there are parties to be found, but don't worry, the campus police will break them up and give everyone there an underage. Because of this many students choose to leave for the weekends. The town has next to nothing to do, and the administration simply doesn't listen to or respect its student body. Maybe you could have a social life if you join a fraternity and pay them $500 a semester to be your friends. Even with the good academics, no one outside Maryland has heard of McDaniel so don't count on its name helping you. Sure you can have fun there, but you're better off choosing another school. I am a graduate and I regret ever going to McDaniel College.
I had high hopes for McDaniel.Quite BrightEnglish
I had high hopes for McDaniel. On the tour I was taken away by the gorgeous campus (it truly is stunning), the warm welcome committee, and the seemingly friendly student body. I got a full ride and was impressed with the laid-back atmosphere I expected a rigorous, challenging liberal arts education.

Well...it didn't quite go that way. Unfortunately, I'll be transferring after this semester to Bowdoin College.

To start, McDaniel academics are really not that challenging. Sure, professors are friendly, kind and helpful, but a lot of the work I'm doing feels like busy work or on par with my AP high school classes. For many students this might be a good fit, for the school was advertised as being a prestigious liberal arts college, I was disappointed. I wanted a challenge, and I feel pretty bored in most of my classes. Classes are just too easy. On top of that, practically no one outside of Maryland knows about McDaniel College.

Housing here SUCKS. At least in freshmen dorms. It really does, and the dorms they show you on the tour look nice but once you move in you realize how poorly maintained they are. They often smell like sewage, there's mold in some of the rooms and it's perpetually hot in non air-conditioned buildings, even in the winter!

They just re-vamped the dining hall and it's decent, but lackluster. There's nowhere to eat on campus besides Glar and the Pub, which is just greasy fried foods and some fruit. Sandella's is at the gym and it's overpriced garbage plus some soy milk and energy drinks. I DO however love the coffee shop on campus and the people who work there are wonderful. It's a great place to study. The gym is REALLY nice and I love working out there. And the pool is a great place to work out as well!

Tailgates are fun, and I wasn't expecting a big crazy Division I party school, and I didn't get it so...that didn't bother me. Football games suck but it IS fun to BBQ and hang out with friends. I can't speak for other sports here. We're definitely not a sports-oriented school.

The study body really surprised me. I expected a lot of intelligent, open-minded kids, and there are a lot of them, but SO many people are close-minded, arrogant, ignorant and snotty. There's a lot of rich private school kids who don't take school seriously and just want to drink, party and mess around. That's fine, I like to go out from time to time, but on-campus parties are always busted by the police so many students go home for the weekends.

It's DEAD here on the weekends. Westminster is creepy and there's nothing to do here for college students. It's a pretty far hike to the 7-Eleven, considering the hills and the creepers that leer at you from their balconies at night, even at 8 PM on a Monday! There's no clubs, sub-par bars...nightlife sucks. If you're under 21, be prepared to spend a lot of time partying in off-campus houses or parties that get busted where everyone gets an underage.

I feel really sad because I wanted to love this school, but my first year has been a huge disappointment. There's some great organizations on campus, a small but active Greek scene that hosted a few fun events, but overall I find myself bored...socially, academically and mentally.

For some people, McDaniel is great. I'd say most people that love it here are the artsy-theater types, the kids that are a little weird and didn't fit in during high school. It's a comfortable environment with a lackluster party scene (administration's fault, not the student's). For kids who like cliques and the McDaniel bubble and who go Greek, it's probably also a fun school.

But for kids like me who want a rigorous, challenging academic experience, more things to do and a more well-rounded, diverse student body, I'm ready to leave. Sorry McDaniel.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014